Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Wow lovely stuff mate those stencils really are starting to bring her to life.

The metal work around the gun looks so cool – can’t wait to see her with those Bunsen Burners at the back unveiled!!!!

Keep going nearly there :party0023:

Taff :D

Wow Brian! :bow:

You are really doing a great job and building a model that is sure to be a total eye-catcher when done.

I hope to see it in-person some day.

This build is especially rewarding for me seeing so many Zactomodels parts on such a great build.

Bravo! :clap2:

Thanks to all you guys for your compliments. I do so love this hobby and you guys are a part of that. Nothing ever turns out exactly like you envision it, but sometimes thats a good thing, as we find something new to like out of it.

Plus we all get to model in our own specific ways, witch actually does make it our "art" in a way. Realism and looking cool are two ways to go. Sometimes they go hand in hand, and sometimes they are worlds apart.............

I try to blend the two most times.

Ok, so no postie, postie, for me in a while……………been balancing some (albeit minor) issues with the folks, and completely re-doing / painting the basement that sits adjacent to my modeling room.

The basement is done and I moved on to the finishing stages of the SU-30.

We are definitely in the home stretch now.

Got the can-O-pee unmasked and the interior is not complete but well on its way –

DSC03141.jpg

DSC03142.jpg

All of the stencils are complete, and the Flory Models wash was applied. Here is where I fell into a bit of a quandary. I definitely wanted to use the darker black wash on the intake trunks aft, as the real pics of this thing are just horrendously oily and greasy black. I also wanted to use the dark dirt for the rest of the undersides. The top was the crux of the matter.

I started off using a mix of dark and light dirt. Applied. Dried. Wiped off.

It did look very cool IMHO, but even this mix of the two made things a bit to "panelie" and had your eyes drawing to the panel line almost instantly. This view did fade with distance as in the 1:1 bird, but still panel lines were way too pronounced looking for me for what the real deal looked like.

So…………..

I went back over the entire upper surfaces (ONLY the horizontal ones, leaving any upper vertical ones in the darker combo of light and dark dirt wash) with a straight coating of the lighter dirt only. The darker mix is visible a bit compared to an application of light dirt by itself. I also hit the areas more prone to exposure by opening and closing with a coating of the dark dirk; like the air brake hinges, outline of the airbrake and the outline of the canon exhaust and air intake cover –

DSC03135.jpg

DSC03134.jpg

Well on our way now lads. I'm MUCH happier with the way this looks, as the panel lines are now still visible, but you have to get up much closer to see them. Makes the look much more subtle and in keeping with the more faded top side look –

DSC03138.jpg

DSC03139.jpg

DSC03136.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

I even managed to get a sealing flat coat on the gear, and a fresh sealing coat of Future on the nose gear landing lights –

DSC03140.jpg

I actually have the weathering well underway atm gents……………I have today, tonight and all of tomorrow and tomorrow night to work on things, so its really down now to finishing the weathering, sealing it, glossing a few of the "fresh oil"marks, then final touchup and final assembly.

More pics soon guys………and they may be the finishing ones………..maybe.

Cheers, and thanks for lookin in on me once again.

Brian

Thanks once again for the kind words gents.

Progress is coming swiftly now. Not one for lengthy epilogs today, so straight to it. Should be quite a few updates this week……….

As the gloss coat dried, and the stencils done, I let things cure and started in on the weathering.

I was going to use a combo of my oils, pastels, TWPs and washes (previously applied) but found I only really needed the TWPs. They are SO versatile, and in a wide range of colors AND being able to thin with water and wipe straight away anything you don't like, its all I used.

After all the weathering was applied, I sealed everything in with a nice coat of MM flat clear lacquer. Stuff is downright aMazing –

I know what you may be thinking on the weathering………….TOO MUCH………and that's what I thought, till I started looking closely at this test-bed SU that was used to test EVERYTHING including missiles and canon (the latter being fired a lot on this airframe). Bare in mind how HUGE this airframe is and how far away this pics were taken. You can see how oily and grimy the engine tunnels and how dirty the nose cone area is behind the demark where its raised to work on the radar itself……….

MAKSa-su-30mkk-19.jpg

su-30mkk_10.jpg

Id venture to say as dirty, filthy, and oily as it looks from here, It probably looked worse up-close. Every pic I've seen of these test-beds on the ground were on un-prepared or even ice/dirt/water covered strips –

Uh oh! Someone just got their brace(s) off!

DSC03155.jpg

All the masking pulled off and ready to start the foiling of the rear engine tunnels. Its hard to tell from these pics, but after the flat coat was applied over the weathering, I took the airbrush and very delicately went back over JUST the black oily streaks with some gloss, to get that "fresh oil" look –

DSC03150.jpg

DSC03149.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

Didn't realize my feet were in this one! Good thing I trimmed the nails or Phil'd be on me for it. :lol:

DSC03144.jpg

MORE…………….

Topside –

DSC03160.jpg

DSC03159.jpg

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03154.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03151.jpg

Took tonight off from work to see if I can put a final dent in this big girl and get her knocked out this week. We shall see…………Up next………..foiling!

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Didn't realize my feet were in this one! Good thing I trimmed the nails or Phil'd be on me for it. :lol:

DSC03144.jpg

Oh No naked model making now that is extreme. Hide the children’s eyes!!!! :wicked:

I know Salvador Dali used to paint his masterpieces naked in the bath but!!!!

To the plane she is turning into a masterpiece. :yahoo: I love it and you are nearly there final push. Can’t wait to see the burners in place keep up the outstanding work Brian.

Oh No naked model making now that is extreme. Hide the children’s eyes!!!! :wicked:

I know Salvador Dali used to paint his masterpieces naked in the bath but!!!!

To the plane she is turning into a masterpiece. :yahoo: I love it and you are nearly there final push. Can’t wait to see the burners in place keep up the outstanding work Brian.

Yea, that pic scares me too! Brian, I knew from the beginning this was a special build. Seeing it come together has been a joy. I know I have said it before, you have not disapointed me again. This bird is just freakin awsome, my friend. I'll go as far as saying its the BEST SU- whatever build I've seen. Thanks for sharing your ride....Harv :yahoo: :yahoo: :party0023: