Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Due thanks again to all you guys…………..comments Always welcome! You guys make the WIPs worth doing!

No BS today fellas………..straight to it.

Foiling on the engine nacelles top and bottom is done.

Got a nice little selection of chemically treated/colored foil to work with. The darker, more streaky pieces went on the bottom –

DSC03143.jpg

These were just slightly weathered with TMWs hot blue on the top, and soot on the bottom, on various panels.

Bottom –

DSC03163.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

Top –

DSC03164.jpg

DSC03165.jpg

DSC03168.jpg

DSC03169.jpg

DSC03170.jpg

Overall view with the flaps, elevators and slats now glued into position –

DSC03172.jpg

DSC03173.jpg

Now its time to get this big girl some legs (and wheels) and then its time to get her nice cans in order………..

That didn't come out right but you know what I mean. :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, that is some jaw-dropping work with the foil. Having tried foiling myself recently, and discovered how difficult it can be, I can only stand back and admire your work. Not only is your application flawless, but the result is so thoroughly convincing that I'm lost for words.

Kev

Unbelievable. I've never seen foil-work like yours, truly outstanding :speak_cool:

Thanks Jason, always welcome comments from you..................your always first in line anyway! (We must be online.....or phone about the same time in the evenings when I post) :D

Brian, that is some jaw-dropping work with the foil. Having tried foiling myself recently, and discovered how difficult it can be, I can only stand back and admire your work. Not only is your application flawless, but the result is so thoroughly convincing that I'm lost for words.

Kev

Thanks a heap Kev, the complements mean a lot. Foiling is not for everyone, and it can be problematic as Im sure you found out. Dont give up on it, I think its all about finding your own techniques and what works best for each person. Ken (aka LSPer foiler) has taught me a lot, and I have also come up with a few techniques of my own.

Very inspiring. How did you treat the foil to look like this? (there is a bare metal Starfighter in preparation here... ;) )

This is a tecniqiue I picked up from the above mentioned LSPer Ken, AKA foiler. Per the name, Ken started me off with this foil obsession, (and yes I have a lot of "silver birds" in my collection) and he taught me this chemical technique. It is basically a chemical treatment for the foil where smaller individual chunks of foil are set in a solution of bleach, copper and lead, producing colors from deep, deep platinum's, to vibrant greens, golds and reds.

This is a tricky process, and does not always produce satisfactory results and does require some fiddling. The chemical etching only goes a few scant microns into the foil itself, therefor when you burnish the foil down, it tends to take some of the blinding reds, greens and golds out of the foil. The color is still there, as evident by the top pieces of the SU engine nacelles, but if you look at the pieces of foil as the were prior to installation, (first pic in my last post, the 4 foil pieces in the lower right corner) you can see, that they were much more colored up prior to burnishing.

The chemical color being so shallow, also creates an advantage in graining the foil, as since the color is only a couple micros deep, it allows you to grain the foil with sand paper, toothpaste, steel wool or other things, that produce a totally new look.

:bow: :wow: :blink: :blink: .............Harv

Thanks as always my friend!

Well guys this GB ends this thurs, 12/15. So..................I have now gotten her legs on, wheels, mud guard, and just tonight, got the Pitz Models cans glued on, as she is drying as I type this at home. Ill post pics of the girl now that shes got her cans on. :lol:

Whats left?

-Attach the missiles

-Attach the gear doors.

- Find a way to make the canopy removable so I dont break it off (which I know I will if I permanently attach it).

The last two are the only real possible problematic ones, as I have to make new gear door struts, and a way to make the canopy "removable" without looking like it is.

PUSHING ONWARD AND UPWARD TO THE END OF THE GB!!

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Jason, always welcome comments from you..................your always first in line anyway! (We must be online.....or phone about the same time in the evenings when I post) :D

Haha actually I work from home and I'm always on the computer (or in the man cave) and I get a pop-up email notification when you post, so I immediately come check it out! You never disappoint!

Didn't realize my feet were in this one! Good thing I trimmed the nails or Phil'd be on me for it. :lol:

Well I am on it!

Seems those 6" stilettos you wear round the house were getting a bit tight and you had to take them off????

Right back to da build.

Weathering - oil washes etc - Perfect.

Cans - seriously and I mean SERIOUSLY scary mate.

Best foiling I've ever seen from you!!!!

Shame this custard killer wasn't ready for the Nats, would of swept the board!

:party0023: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :wow:

Edited by PhilB

It was Sunday, February 3, 2008 when I received an email from someone named Brian Leitch, who wanted to learn how to foil models. Who are you and what have you done with Brian? :D

For all of you who have ever wanted to foil, but thought it was too much work, Brian has shown just how effective and easy the task can be. Brian has taken foiling to the Master's level, and has become the resident guru of NMF's. Great work Brian! :bow: I certainly hope you enter this in the NATS next year in Florida; that way we all can get to see this museum quality work!

Ken

Jeez, that really does take your breath away. What brand foil do you use? I hope you'll write a piece on your techniques, and brands used etc., for the tips section, I know you've been through it before, but it's all buried within build threads.

:bow:

Jeez, that really does take your breath away. What brand foil do you use? I hope you'll write a piece on your techniques, and brands used etc., for the tips section, I know you've been through it before, but it's all buried within build threads.

:bow:

Actually, I'd love for Brian to submit an article for the main website! :coolio:

Kev