Sukhoi SU-30 MKK

Out2gtcha

Hey everybody!! (love ya Philly!)

Thanks again my friends for all the compliments and kind words. They really DO help to motivate me here. Now that the mods have been kind enough to extend the GB deadline till Dec 15th, I figure I better take advantage and complete this thing. I at least want to say I have entered AND completed my first group build here on LSP. (even though it HAS taken me 2 years to do so :lol: )

Its amazing………….didn't hardly look like I got jack-s@# done, but still managed to find myself up till almost 8AM on my day off. But, when I look back I really did get quite a bit accomplished……..or at least some hurdles I was wary of cleared.

One of the hurdles was the canopy. I got finished polishing out the center seam (no big) and also built up the necessary edges on the center and forward canopy framing, to align them to each other, and to my satisfaction.

I really never thought that the Future stage would be the problem! Well it was………

- First go-round with the Future didn't go well at all. I tried "squirting" on the future over the trash bin and let the excess shed off. I though it went well until later in the day, I checked it and it looked like it "fish-eyed" the Future. For those in the paint know, that usually means dirt under the paint, or in this case Future.

- Second go-round I tried cleaning the canopy with dawn grease removing dish soap, and used gloves during (being EVER so careful on the delicate frontal section). This time instead of trying to save future, I got a small shorter "Tom Collins" style glass, just the right size, and dunked the canopy. I got a plastic container and put it in, and let it dry for a few hrs. Came back and …………….BLECH!

Canopy had little hairs in it, and blotchy marks all through it. Crap. So…………I cleaned out the Tom Collins glass and back into the glass cleaner she goes!

DSC02957.jpg

Guess third time IS a charm! More on that in a minute but its looking promising……....

The next little thing on my to do was mask off and get the high vis areas painted on the leading edge slats, that shows when they are down, like mine will be. DONE!

Hard to see here with a back drop of light but used a mix of MM Russian red and insignia red.

DSC02958.jpg

While I had the paint booth up, I also reset the ol test bed be A6M5 back to white with a bit of Tamiya primer. I'm going to start testing again on the main yellow color and want this to be dry and exactly like the base color on the SU -

DSC02959.jpg

Well, the entire rest of the time was devoted to finishing the missiles. I had all four of them finished…………..until I had the bright Idea that because Chris has such a unique and cool system that kind of "locks" them in place on the launch rails, that Id see what the finished Archers looked like on the wing tip rails.

The answer is AWESOME………..until I decided to take a cotton swab and swipe a spot I saw while they were hanging there.

DOH! Of course, I knocked it off, and one of my newly finished missiles went crashing to the floor.

I broke off 3 of the main fins and two of the forward nose mounted PE probe sensors. :(

DSC02960.jpg

Damage was repairable.

RE-glued on the 3 main fins that broke off, and replaced the PE sensors with a couple of the extras provided, and re-painted and weathered them.

I really like the way the missiles turned out. They look very colorful IMHO, even with basically black and white. A bit of black Flory Models wash and good to go.

Zacto Models missiles DONE!

X2 Vympel R-27ER - AA-10 Alamo-Cs –

DSC02964.jpg

DSC02961.jpg

MORE…………..

Edited by Out2gtcha

DSC02962.jpg

DSC02963.jpg

X2 - Vympel R-73 - AA-11 Archers –

DSC02965.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02970.jpg

Third time round, I think I FINALLY got the canopy to my liking………..or at least to my satisfaction anyway. I think part of my issue was my bottle of Future. I had "recycled" a couple of dips of some canopies in the past, and I think it may have been contaminated. Come to think of it, it may have been my only ever bottle of Future…..many, many years old. BLECH! I think I recycled and saved it this long during some of the previous "scares" where people said Future wasn't around or what have you.

Anyhoo, I went to Wally mart, and got some Pledge Floor care with "Future Shine". This stuff happens to also have the old Future polish logo on it, and the bottle is IDENTICAL to my old school Future bottle. So far works just like Future too……….maybe better.

So, lesson learned, Johnson's "Pledge Floor Care w/ Future Shine" IS Future.

This week I'll be letting the missiles, the high vis marker red, the test bed Zero, and ESPECIALLY the canopy dry. The can-O-pee is safely tucked away in a dust free (but not air free) container atm.

Cheers,

Brian

Hey Bryan!

Love the rocketree!

:party0023:

Hmmm...I think that warrants one of these...:lol:

tacFP.jpg

I agree with Wizard Brian...Your undercarriage legs are a work of art in their own right (the missiles look pretty awesome as well). Boy, this is going to be some model when completed...

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Yet more amazing work Brian! I can't help but wonder after all the amazing things you've done for this build how you will be able to go back to something "simple" like your P40 ;)

Doug

i'm curious what technique did you use to dirty those Zacto missiles. i know you mentioned Flory's washes but which one? how did you apply it?. i ordered some of Phil's stuff (dark wash, Thanks Phil for fixing up my order that quick :))

i'm used to work with Mig washes ( very very dirty stuff!!)

also, how did you paint the red "tip"? when i built my non-large-scale F-16, i had to paint some missiles with a black tip. Not sure about the accuracy of those, i mostly build stuff OOB for pure unadulterated fun. (tl;dr i'm not a rivet counter :clap2: )

anyway i used tamiya's 6mm masking tape and, well...the round is not that round and even tho i burnished the tape as much as i could, there was still some seepage(<= not sure that's even a word!) under the tape making touchups very difficult.

btw, those missiles are effin' AWESOME!!!

Edited by wizardz

Bit... mmmhmmmm...

Awww pisha! Thanks as usual my friend. Your so overstated.......

Just love those legs they look amazing.

Those giant stripy lolly pop stick are looking pretty darn sharp to

We want more your public expects!!!!!

Taff

Thanks Taff. Looks like if we finish we get a shot a real nice PCM Hurrie! yay!

Hey Bryan!

Love the rocketree!

:party0023:

Thanks mate.................Party, everybody! (now quit gawkin at my thread and work on the @%$ter!)

I agree with Wizard Brian...Your undercarriage legs are a work of art in their own right (the missiles look pretty awesome as well). Boy, this is going to be some model when completed...

Derek

Thanks Derek, nice of you to say................and thanks for the armed FacePalm. I may need it later I have a feeling too.

Yet more amazing work Brian! I can't help but wonder after all the amazing things you've done for this build how you will be able to go back to something "simple" like your P40

Doug

HAHA! Thanks Doug. Now that I think about it, I think you may be right. Actually its really going to be simpler, as not only is it a simpler kit, but its already 50(ish)% done.

Ill just have to move onto something straight away if I get that one done.

'X2 Vympel R-27ER - AA-10 Alamo-Cs –'

That's funny. I thought you were swearing after the missle broke apart. Love that black/white contrast.

Sincerely,

Mark

lol.........Tanks Mark! Didnt even realize what it kinda looked like.......and yes, when the missile hit the ground I just stared at it for a min or two........then said:

"Golly gee. Gosh darn it. That is quite a large disappointment that that happened."

i'm curious what technique did you use to dirty those Zacto missiles. i know you mentioned Flory's washes but which one? how did you apply it?. i ordered some of Phil's stuff (dark wash, Thanks Phil for fixing up my order that quick )

i'm used to work with Mig washes ( very very dirty stuff!!)

also, how did you paint the red "tip"? when i built my non-large-scale F-16, i had to paint some missiles with a black tip. Not sure about the accuracy of those, i mostly build stuff OOB for pure unadulterated fun. (tl;dr i'm not a rivet counter )

anyway i used tamiya's 6mm masking tape and, well...the round is not that round and even tho i burnished the tape as much as i could, there was still some seepage(<= not sure that's even a word!) under the tape making touchups very difficult.

btw, those missiles are effin' AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the kind words...............yes the wash is just the black FM wash for the white parts and "light dirt" on the black fins. I forgot to do the black front fins on the Alamos....

Application is simple......if you have a clear on, like semi gloss or gloss, you can just load up the cracks and crevices, let dry, and then wipe off, and clear over if you like.

If NO clear, then id be tempted to test it on a section as flat colors tend to get "stained" a bit by the wash, even thought it is all natural and usually come off very easy.

As for the red tip on the Archers, I used liquid mask. Fortunately, there is a panel line round the outside right where I wanted the red tip: so I just coated teh whole thing with MicroScale liquid mask, then let dry and used a straight razorblade to cut around the demark. Then I just removed the top part for the "tip" and just hand brushed some red on....in this case a combo of Russian marker red and insignia red.

Brian

Awesome work. With every update, it just keeps getting better and better.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I feel somtimes like this build will NEVER end! But that being said, im stil having fun. :D

Sweet work Brian

those missiles are great

Thanks Neo, I do like the way the Russians did the black/white stripyness.

Pure sweetness, my friend ! More, more , more !............Harv :popcorn: :goodjob:

PS I sent you 2 PM's today

Thanks my friend, and PM sent!

Well onward and upwards my friends....................

I started off on Sat evening by digging out the can-O-pee that had set in tupperware container for 3 or 4 days, just to be on the safe side, after try #3 of Future soaking............and AFTER i went out and got a new bottle of the stuff.

And..............................SUCCESS!!!! The previously misaligned canopy frames front, rear and middle also now FIXED, as well as the @#$% seem down the middle of the whoe thing :yahoo: :yahoo: -

DSC02979.jpg

I also used my custom red mix (Russian marker red and insigna red) and sprayed up the inside of the gear doors. I like this mix, as it gives the red that wierd Russian "pinkish" hue -

DSC02972.jpg

I spent quite a few hrs last night coming up with what I thought was a suitable pre-shade color for the SU, and then ended up getting ALL of the pre-shading done. I came up with a mix of the original Yellow Zinc Chromate color, mixed with Russian dark earth and a touch of flat black.

I also used some black pre-shading around areas that seemed like they had more of a shadow/dirty look to them like around the gear bumps on the lower fuse, around the edges of the air-brake where dirt looks like it really collected, and around the demark of the rudder/vertical fin to get some shadow and contrast and feel of separation to the rudders.

I used a technique of using a small triangle square held on one hand just off the model to get straight(er) pre-shade lines, that seemed to work pretty well -

DSC02971.jpg

The 1:1 SU has what looks like Me 262 style "putty marks" all along the vertical fins, and some on the top of the fuse/wing area, so thats where I started -

DSC02974.jpg

Nothing perfect here, (or at least i was not 100% satisfied with it) but I keep having to tell myself its NEVER going to be perfect and that it IS pre-shading that will have a coat of the final color over it. I didnt go TOO crazy with the pre-shading, as I didnt want the quilty/patchwork look here, just some visual interest to the basic single color scheme -

DSC02982.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

DSC02983.jpg

Work proceeding............. Just some areas to be knocked back and some to be clean up at this stage................almost there -

DSC02973.jpg

DSC02978.jpg

I reduced some panel lines, re-did others but in the end Im pleased with the results and think it will look pretty trick under the YZC.

Pre-shading, DONE!

DSC02986.jpg

Tiz all for now gents. Our own LSPer Pete G is coming over to work on his 262 while I proceed on some canopy and wheel well masking. :)

Cheers,

Brian

I like it ! One question on your pre shading. Small oval and round covers, did you mask them and then spry? Or just free hand ? Either way, I think it will work well....Harv :goodjob: