F4 Exhaust Nozzles

phantom

I've been collecting some info on burner cans for the Phantoms...I had this in a doc for my own ref. Apologies to the authors ( build articles from many sites) HTH...

The exhaust nozzles, which came from Aires and are beautifully detailed, were sprayed with Gun Metal and Exhaust

Exhaust detail – unlike Tamiya’s famously undersized exhausts, the Revell cans are correctly sized. They lack the inner detail of the real thing. The modeler can use photo-etch aftermarket pieces from Eduard to spruce up the interiors if they feel so inclined.

In spite of all of the research Tamiya put into their F-4 kits, they somehow got the exhausts much too small in diameter. My theory is that the guy who designed the exhausts usually works in Tamiya's 1/35 armor department and got confused about what scale he was supposed to be working in. Cutting Edge seems to have used the Tamiya nozzles as the basis for their new ones, since theirs are also too small. The nozzles found in the Revell F-4E kit are the correct diameter, they just lack any interior detail. Much to my delight, I found a pair of long J-79 nozzles in my 1/32 Revell RF-4C kit (they were left over from the RF-4E version of the kit). After some experimenting with the Tamiya nozzles, I found that they fit right inside the Revell nozzles, solving the problem of mating them to the Tamiya afterburner cans. The only changes I had to make was to remove what little detail there was inside the Revell nozzles and cut away the "turkey feathers" of the Tamiya nozzles. The Revell nozzles are shorter than the Tamiya ones and don't completely cover the base of the Tamiya parts, so I extended the Revell nozzles with sheet styrene. On the suggestion of another person using the Revell nozzles, I used photo-etched parts from the Eduard F-4J detail set to build up the interior of the nozzles. Much better than my original plan of using sheet styrene. I had to remove some plastic from the keel, above and between the engines, to make room for the wider nozzles. Go slow and do a lot of test-fitting. Once installed, the Revell nozzles are a major improvement to the looks of the rear of the model.

HTH..Matty

I just got a set of the ones om eBay for the later, long style and I agree, they're very nice and reasonably priced.

I used the Aires short style on my C build, which would be the style to use on a D. They are NOT undersized like their long style sibling, and they are very nicely detailed. They only two issues are that the cans interiors are a bit simplified and when assembled out of box, too closely set, making it hard to fit te nozzles later. If you know this going in, it's just a matter of shimming them by about .010"-.020". Not knowing this going in, it's difficult to test fit because of how the fuselage goes together and it was a pain to correct.

C

Edited by csavaglio

I am getting ready for my next F4 build F4D from the Minnesota ANG, who makes the best exhaust nozzles?

Thanks

Mike

I am satisfied with the Cutting Edge (short), which I had already, and Aires (long) nozzles, but haven't yet seen the Eduard Brassin 'short can' examples which might be far better.

More to the point, I also have a USAF F-4 in progress, off and on, which I was thinking of doing as a North Dakota ANG example - where do you get decals for a 148th Minnesota ANG F-4D? If you are getting a set made, I would happily pay for a set and do a Minnesota Guard 'North Star' F-4D instead!

Tony T

I think I have the CE short and they do look good enough for me...much better than the kit nozzles.

I checked the Aries website and their stuff looks insanely amazing and more detailed than the CE set. The Eduard Brassin range have some for the Early C/D Tamiya and are highly detailed but they are 60% the price of an entire kit. I think you could buy Brassin ejection seats and nozzles and it might cost you more than the entire Tamiya kit. Sigh...is it so bad OOB? The Brassin sets do look incredible though.

Cheers Matty

I believe Eduard has just trumped everyone at least in level of detail with their new offering of the F-4 Exhaust Nozzles for the early J-79’s. This new release to their Brassin line IMO is Stupendous, Exquisite and so forth.

You be the Judge!

Outer and Inner Nozzle sections..separate pieces to allow for some beautifully crafted detail!

P3170284A.jpg

P3170286A.jpg

P3170287A.jpg

P3170288A.jpg

Burner section....NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P3170289A.jpg

P3170290A.jpg

Dry fit build up....again NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P3180311A.jpg

P3180312A.jpg

P3180313A.jpg

Engine Exhaust and Turbine Face with IDG "Bullet" again IMO very nicely done. The level of detail on the Bullet is awesome. Yes most of it will not be very visible but it's nice.

P3170302A.jpg

P3170303A.jpg

P3170300A.jpg

P3170300A.jpg

P3170297A.jpg

P3170298A.jpg

P3170299QA.jpg