Jump to content
PhilB

Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

Recommended Posts

Thanks for the kind words gents and the advice regarding the tarps.

Brian, I'll have to go out and get some new toilet rolls as the one's I've got at the moment have

the Andrex puppy embossed all over them which might look a bit funny underneath a WW2 plane.

I presume you use fresh paper not second hand????? :BANGHEAD2:

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brian, I'll have to go out and get some new toilet rolls as the one's I've got at the moment have

the Andrex puppy embossed all over them which might look a bit funny underneath a WW2 plane.

 

Don't use toilet paper Brian, as it's designed to break down when it gets wet!

 

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don't use toilet paper Brian, as it's designed to break down when it gets wet!

 

Kev

 

 

Actually if you use the 2 ply stuff, and use the combo, of glue and water, then paint it, it works pretty well. However, I have also used packing style tissue for this as well.

 

The cool thing about using toilet paper is actually because it is designed to breakdown, when it gets painted it retains a very scale flexible appearance once painted and folded. The only disadvantage is as you mentioned kev because it is designed to break down, you have to be careful handling it before the glue/water mix and paint dries.

 

Its a balancing act, to let it dry long enough to handle and place it and/or fold it in Phils case, and not too long so it gets stiff and will not conform.

 

I presume you use fresh paper not second hand????? :BANGHEAD2:

 

Your a sick, sick man............ :lol: I LIKE IT!

 

Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read an article that includes the use of wrapping tissue as tarps. The kind of tissue one puts in 'present' bags, or finds in shirt boxes. It's not as fiberous as tissue paper, is much sturdier, and can be folded nicely.

 

Sincerely,

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You have really raised the bar for this one Phil! Stunning!

Thanks for the kind words Don and thanks to the rest of you chaps for the tarps suggestions which I'll try.

 

I've really been finishing off the aircraft so I can get on with the diorama base.

I had to replace the ETC rack D rings with brass as the plastic ones just snapped off as soon as it started to be weathered.

On the original photo, we have identified that the pipes to the tank are hanging down at an angle so I used some brass tube to simulate them at the angles in the photo.

The oil has "pooled" by the cannon shell ports so I'll have some large oil stains under this area on the diorama:

 

PA272218.jpg

 

Also on the photo it shows the metal bracket for the aerial wire still on the post minus any wire which went with the canopy I presume, so I

got a bit of old pe sprue to simulate it, the tailwheel is also on:

 

PA272223.jpg

 

The rear cockpit deck has been painted and given a good coat of dust:

 

PA272220.jpg

 

I mentioned in an earlier post that the stbd side looked a bit clean and the oil stain was a bit pronounced.

I looked at another photo which shows this side when it was on the ground. It shows a very large exhaust stain so it may well be that the stbd bank of cylinders let go in a big way

due to loss of oil.

I've had another go with the weathering sticks and added the stain and darkened it all down a bit:

 

PA272226.jpg

 

Effectively she's done apart from the counterbalance weights and the pitot tube which will go on last.

 

On to the wood and plaster next!

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the kind words Gents!

Well I have done quite a bit of work on the diorama.

I spent a long time zooming in on the original photo.

I saw a rocky bank at the rear with a dirt road behind the aircraft and a dirt path going past it to the road.

Having been to Malta I know what sort of terrain it is and the colours of the local stone.

I used a basic plaster to give the textures.

I gave it a base coat of Tamiya textured sand coloured paint then set about it with small stones crushed from the garden.

I also used some shrub material and lots of chalks to try and give the road a crushed white stone effect.

The three circles are where the oil drums will sit.

The tarpaulins have been done and await some paint.

I have drilled holes in two of the oil drum mounts as those drums are hollow and I intend to tie down the aircraft through them.

Many thanks to Alfonso who gave me a lot of advice and help.

Apologies for the indoor photo's which I had to lighten a lot.

If ever we see the sun again I'll take some new shots.

This is supposed to represent burnt, rocky terrain with dust grass areas:

 

PB092334.jpg

PB092347.jpg

PB092345.jpg

PB092339.jpg

 

More soon!

 

Phil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil, my jaw dropped when I saw those ground level shots! They look absolutely, 100% authentic. If it weren't for the edges of the board ruining the effect, I'd believe it was real. Awesome work mate.

 

Kev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil, my jaw dropped when I saw those ground level shots! They look absolutely, 100% authentic. If it weren't for the edges of the board ruining the effect, I'd believe it was real. Awesome work mate.

 

 

What he said!!!! :wow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What they said !.....some of the best ground work I've ever seen.

 

:bow:

 

Vaughn

 

 

I'll add my name to that as well...Indeed, what they all said!

 

Derek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...