Mystery 109 Build; Revealed!

PhilB

Thanks Brian, Kev and Ron for your kind words.

Your encouragement keeps me going with this engine detailing saga.

Here's today's progress.

I got some paint on the stbd side yesterday.

The insulation on the hose by the round tank has been painted brown and dry brushed with light brown.

Thanks to Big Matt for a photo which solved the mystery of the extra pipe on the stb side. I couldn't see where it came from

but it branches off the large pipe I already had in. The joint will be painted with silver once enough thick ca has dried to imitate a weld.

Its just behind the lower bearer arm. I scratchbuilt a joint from drilled rod and painted it to simulate the clips.

I have added the posts for the engine cowling catches and the guns.

I won't bore you with the details, lets just say they are in 3 pieces and are a real pain.

As you can see I've used the master barrels and added a couple of wires from the bulkhead to the guns.

Its important to paint(in this case permanent black marker pen) the inside of the barrels as you don't want the shiny brass showing through once you've painted the outside.

I was about to put on the pe muzzle troughs but yes you've guessed it, they don't fit.

Having had enough for today I'll have a go at them tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to finishing the front end so I can get some washes and weathering on:

P9301991.jpg

P9301990.jpg

P9301988.jpg

Thanks for having a lookie.

Phil

Wow Phil, that is looking the business, mano! Love the addition of the barrels. The paintwork is shaping up nicely. This is starting to give me itchy fingers to get back to the bench. I have a Dora project that I have been wanting to get to, much like this, but do not seem to have the time. But I am thinking maybe I should!

Looking forward to the next update.....

THOR :D

Thank you gentlemen for your kind words.

I managed to get some paint on the guns and do a litle drybrushing and weathering.

Its pouring down with rain and pretty hard to get some good photo's but I'll try and get better some better one's tomorrow.

I haven't touched the area in front of the screen as this is going to be covered in oil which I will do after

the main scheme is on the aircraft.

I gave the area around the breeches a heavy drybrush as I found a photo that shows this to be possibly bare un-blued metal

so its the old rotary engined choice to paint black and dry brush with silver or vice versa.

The breeches will be covered in oil anyway.

So until I can get some good photos tomorrow here's one that came out very light that I managed today:

PA011996.jpg

Phil

Thanks to Mark, Harv and Matt for your kind words gents.

Today is a much brighter day so I took some better shots.

I had initially painted the surrounds of the exhausts with 76 as you slide the painted exhausts through them during construction and it would be a real bear to paint them once installed.

I added some more last night to complete the full surrounds and dropped some oil stain on them.

I am using the Tamiya weathering palettes and a small short brush to work oilstain and soot into crevices.

The good thing is that if you over do it its simple to remove with a moist cotton bud.

On these photos you can see the difference it makes by comparing the bearer arms to the bulkhead in front of the screen which is unpainted 02.

They also tone down the bright lead of the pipes to give what I am hoping to be a good dirty "in service" look.

I don't plan on sealing it in as that can flatten the whole effect.

I forgot to mention that the "hoop" over the front round tank is a piece of strip cut from 10 thou card and bent round and glued.

I had a thought in my mind from someone's previous build that this is something we tend to forget when displaying the engine on a 109.

As you can see the dry brushing on the breeches of the guns looks a bit better in these photo's and the guns a bit blacker:

It will be good to take a leaf from Brian's(Out2gtcha) book but instead of "ready for foil" it will be "ready for oil"!

PA022006.jpg

PA022014.jpg

PA022020.jpg

Phil