Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

You guys are CHAMPS!

Thanks for the compliments. I consider myself a novice when it comes to the painting phase. I'm able to visualize how to construct something. I'm developing color theories as they apply to model building. I haven't yet fully developed the visualization techniques necessary for the painting and weathering phases. I need to sit down and study what I've done, what needs to be done, what I want to do, and how to do it.

This aircraft will not have a lot of heavy weathering. Which is good for me. In the short time Hartmann was at the front, 2-1/2 years, I think, he went thru 14 aircraft. So how weathered can this aircraft be? On average, he had a new aircraft every 5-1/2 months.

I think I figured this aircraft between November 1944 when Hartmann went from being Sta.Kap. 7/JG52 to Kdr. I/JG53 in February 1945.

Anyway,

Thanks guys.

Sincerely,

Mark

Slowly I creep, millimeter by millimeter. . . I have been creeping along this week, it seems to me. I did some corrective painting, decalling, post-shading, over painting, and finally gloss coating. I also did a little bit of scratchbuilding to empty my brain of an idea.

The spots that were the result of paint being pulled up by tape removal were first filled with primer to the level of the top coat, sanded smooth, and sprayed over with the necessary color. I don't have a photo of this process.

DSCN5611.jpg

I don't know if any of the cooling jacket shows, but I thought I'd try my hand at a cooling jacket. The openings are 1mm apart. I drew a grid, taped down some copper sheet (the kind one can get at a craft store), punched holes, sanded the opposite side, then drilled them. I like how it turned out, but the openings need to be .5mm apart.

DSCN5613.jpg

I finally found all of those parts and got the rack put together. I have to admit, it looks store bought. I couldn't for the life of me completely remove that first weld bead on the drop tank, no matter what filler I used. Next time I'll go with CA. I decided to take the loop out of the brake line. Brown 'leather' oleo boot is painted Tamiya tape. 2 parts rust, 1 part black. White rectangle had to be painted on because the decal cracked and I couldn't save it. The copy will go on later.

DSCN5614.jpg

Just seeing if I can get a canopy shot. Needs more scratches.

DSCN5616.jpg

It's hardly noticeable in the imagery it's so faint, but there is post shading at the reveals. I mixed the color with 20% FS36081 Euro Grey (8 RLM color + 2 FS color) sprayed the reveal, then roughly went back over the reveal with the RLM color + 20% white, which is the top coat color. A little color variation on the propellor.

DSCN5612.jpg

You can see some of the post shading on the fuselage Balkencruz.

DSCN5615.jpg

She's starting to look like an airplane now that the decals have been added.

DSCN5617.jpg

She reminds me of someone, skinny legs and all.

DSCN5619.jpg

A pose I haven't shown before. Sure hope I have those red walkway lines symmetrical. The lighting isn't great, but I wanted to remove the glare. Shadings are subtle.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark