Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

Wonderful, I'd leave the tank as it is - provides a nice contrast. Don't know if you've decided which marking you're going to do for the K, but maybe the one on this sheet http://stormomagazine.com/BooksDecals/Stormo/Bf109PartIII/Instructions_Page1_2a_500.jpg might be of interest, and would negate the need to paint over the thingy on the Luftwaffe tails.

Phil, Kevin, Kagamusha,

Thank you ever so much for your compliments. I like scratchbuilding and am comfortable with it. If it doesn't work out, try, try, again. My inexperience with painting and finishing shows thru tho, I need to follow the same Mantra if something doesn't work out.

I had decided to not mess with the drop tank because I was wrung out from working out the issues I had with the canopy when I thought I had finished. The armor plate base broke, I had to make new ones, all of the parts broke off from the windshield, the aerial wouldn't cooperate, hours upon hours of micro of stuff like that. But I am mentally refreshed now and have developed a plan for the tank. It won't be weathered, but it will show signs of maybe storage and then manhandling to get it into place.

Kagamusha,

My apologies, I've already chosen:

K-4.jpg

Omit the top copy. The description is the bottom copy. I couldn't remove the top copy.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I know, I know, how much longer can a guy milk a thread?! This is it, I promise. The drop tank:

DSCN5792.jpg

A little bit of oil seepage on the nose. Some fuel spill at the cap. Mud spots from handling the tank into place. A little black streaking from rain.

DSCN5796.jpg

The idea is that the blackmen unloaded it from a truck, dropped it in the mud, pushed it into place (the streaked mud on the flat aspect), aligned it (the really muddy part), then picked it up and mounted it (the muddy spots).

DSCN5801.jpg

Bottoms up.

DSCN5803.jpg

Walk-A-Round.

DSCN5804.jpg

DSCN5805.jpg

DSCN5806.jpg

On to the K-4!

Thanks for lookiing.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 1 year later...

Thank you ever so much, Maru. Your compliments put a smile on my face and make my heart sing! Compliments such as yours and everyone else's truly make posting worth while. Thank you, again, for all of your wonderful words of praise. I am humbled by each compliment of my model building.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Holy Cow! Now this is weathering and detailing beyond what mortal men can do. Just spectacular. Need a cup of Joe and going to lean back in the easy chair and start from page one.

Terrific work, just wonderfully done :clap2: :clap2:

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

'Now this is weathering and detailing beyond what mortal men can do.'

Thank you, Peter. Accidents happen.

'As evreyone post say JUST SOME NICE WORK THERE!!Now I can finsh my K4 in the Markings above.'

Thank you, Vandy. I'm sure you'll finish your build sooner than I finish mine.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Mark.

Have been off this site for some time and finally did a little lurking this am.  Why up at 0220?  Fighting off a flu in its final stages.  Sinus and congestion has me wide eyed. 

I wish I would have found this thread earlier as I am about to finish a Hartmann G6.  Your WIP would have been a great point of reference to some issues I met during the build.  After seeing your G14 and retracting my jaw to closed position I just may bin my G6 and find another hobby.  :)  Research is such a critical element to this hobby.  I admire how you turly made an effort to "get it right".  Me, on the other hand is happy with the FICE approach once in awhile to difficult build challenges.

What a great read on this thread.  Your impressive work has been given so many positive adjectives I am at loss to add anything not alraedy said.  So, I will keep it simple and just say Great Effort and Great FInish on this. 

Hope the M37 effort is making progress.  My kids still talk about "the truck in pieces being put together in the driveway"

Best - Rick

Edited by Rick K

Rick!

Matza Ball Chicken Soup is the cure!  I'm sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather.  Now is not a good time to feel/fall ill, being as cold as it is.  It's difficult to stay warm to get over those chills.  Stay wrapped up.

Thank you for looking me up and for taking the time to peruse this thread.  There is a lot going on.  This build was my first venture into scratch-building 1/32 airplanes, they are so much smaller than 1/25 tank parts.  Also using aircraft manuals, the internet, and publications as reference.  With the armor I had been doing I used personal photographs as reference. 

Thank you for thinking this is a great the thread.  I'm glad you like it.  Don't forget to click on the 'like' button!  Just kidding.  Thank you for your compliment.

I finally got the frame and 95% of the associated parts painted, which I wanted to do before the weather turned too cold to paint, so that's done.  When the weather breaks I hope to reconnect the electrical, maybe put in a disc brake upgrade, drop in and attach the fuel tank, and finish installing the rear lights, bumper, and pintle.  It would be nice if I could get it to start without too much aggravation.

'". . . the truck in pieces being put together in the driveway"'

It took me a long time to conclude that what must be done must be done.  That being what I'm doing, tearing the thing down, fixing it, then putting it back together.  I was hoping to have the specialty shop in central North Carolina do it. Shade-tree vehicle restoration is not a method I would recommend to everyone, that's for sure.  But it has been oddly therapeutic.  Something I never would have guessed to happen.

My best to your children.  I hope they weren't too underfoot during our recent 'snow' days.

Thank you, Thomas.  I envisioned the setting to be spring-time on the Eastern Front, which I read to be a most muddy time of the year.

I will muse on the muddy base idea.  I want to retain the mirror tho, so I will see what I can see.

Thank you Rick, Tom, for stopping by, saying hello, and commenting.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 years later...

Great design, attention to detail and design features of the aircraft admirable, but this plane has a feature-enhanced battery cover for the system MW-50, which is clearly visible in the famous photo.

Edited by XOPCT