Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

Thank you, Loic. I'm trying.

Jamme, No criticism taken. Everyone has permission to comment. How else can one advance but without constructive criticism? I painted the tires FS38061 (at least I think it's 38061), or Euro Grey. I wanted a color that was dark and different than the black of the rim, and I haven't been able to find a 'tire' color, which I know is made out there somewhere. I guess I could have mixed the color. I'll do that the next time. I know it's not a true representation, but it's also not a poor representation. At least to me. Now, if I had painted them orange!

No worries for you, I'm not taking it in a bad way. Thank you for your compliments. Luckily, my efforts are working out on this build. Nothing I have ever done in the past has been this involved.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hello Mark.

I'm happy that you didn't take my post as a critic.

Every Artist has is signature, so....

Once again I find your build fantastic!

The color your talking about is the "Tire Black from Gunze".

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Greetings,

Jamme

Jamme, no criticism taken. Thank you for your compliment. I'll track down some Tire Black for next time. You are welcome.

Now that I'm back from spending some holiday time at the beach I put in a little bench work.

I saw a picture of a somersaulted 109 in Schiffer's Erich Hartmann book and had an idea.

DSCN5660.jpg

Prep work. I sure hope this works after doing all of this.

DSCN5661.jpg

Testing, testing. 1, 2, 3. Oil paint. Dark to light.

DSCN5662.jpg

I chickened out and used guache instead of oil paint. It's not perfect, but I can still go back and try again. In addition, it probably should be more narrow.

DSCN5663.jpg

Right. I guess some additional mud on the tire would look more convincing.

DSCN5664.jpg

Left. Same goes for here.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks for looking in and your comment, Phil.

So I would have an idea how wide to make the spray I measured the width of a tire with a caliper. It came out as 4.8mm so I rounded it up to 5, cut some 6mm tape to width and laid it over what I had already applied. Then I used a damp bud and wiped away the excess.

DSCN5667.jpg

Since I was using guache I wasn't as persnickety about the masking as I was earlier.

DSCN5671.jpg

Second layer over the earlier residue. The first layer, which is the left-over layer, was watery guache, it so well thinned. By being so thin the color intensity shifted toward the yellow. The second layer, this layer, was less thin, and so is darker.

DSCN5674.jpg

This layer was paste-like in its consistency, so it was much darker than the earlier layers.

DSCN5679.jpg

The last layer was straight pigment. Which was stippled on with a very fine brush. It's hardly noticeable, but it's there! With spray on the flaps, from when the gear are raised. I suppose. Same process and methodology.

DSCN5683.jpg

A little mud on the tire and wheel.

DSCN5684.jpg

Other side.

DSCN5687.jpg

Some tailwheel activity. The process and method were duplicated and applied to the rear tire as well.

DSCN5688.jpg

Other side.

DSCN5691.jpg

From the bottom.

DSCN5692.jpg

Really from the bottom.

Now I'll see what sort of a mess I can make on the top.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Doug:

Somersaulted109.jpg

I sure hope Batman and Robin don't show up at my door over this!

Credit where credit is due:

German Fighter Ace Erich Hartmann, The Life Story of the World's Highest Scoring Ace, Hartmann & Jager, Schiffer Military History, Page 121.

DSCN5681-1.jpg

Wha' happened was. . .

Sincerely,

Mark

fantastic work as ever!!

one point to note about the picture - my guess is that all that mud appeared on the underside ONLY because he stacked it, and would not normally be there

why? well look on the chin, just behind the prop: there is no way mud would get up there normally during taxiing etc, (and also no way the Black Men would leave that much crud around critical areas maybe?)

so i think the extreme mud would not normally be there; just my opinion of course

having said that, i had never really considered mud spatter before, and i REALLY like how you've done it

as always, thanks for sharing your work with us

:)

Nick

fantastic work as ever!!

Thank you, Nick. I can't tell you how much compliments mean to me during this phase of model building. Weathering makes me so anxious. I have done so little weathering I haven't developed any real prior knowledge from which to draw upon.

one point to note about the picture - my guess is that all that mud appeared on the underside ONLY because he stacked it, and would not normally be there

why? well look on the chin, just behind the prop: there is no way mud would get up there normally during taxiing etc, (and also no way the Black Men would leave that much crud around critical areas maybe?)

so i think the extreme mud would not normally be there; just my opinion of course

I honostly can't say yes, no, or maybe, because I don't know. I think there are couple of scenarios at play. The mud is on the wings and wheels from landing or from taxiing, and the mud on the chin fell off of the prop blade. This to me is a given in either scenario. The first scenario is: The mud on the boss is from the aircraft hitting a mud filled dip, or the tire getting stuck, which caused the prop to dig, which caused the tail to tip up, and with the boss in the mud the craft tipped to starboard, whereupon the wingtip dug in and the aircraft then just flopped over. The other scenario is that the starboard wheel hit a mud filled dip, or got stuck, the wingtip dug in, the boss went in and the aircraft flopped over. But I don't know. What I really can't figure out is why isn't there any mud on the port landing flap? Mud is on the radiator flap. Mud on the starboard flap may be from scenario two, when the prop skipped the mud and threw it back prior to the boss going in. I don't know.

having said that, i had never really considered mud spatter before, and i REALLY like how you've done it

Thank you, Nick. I wish I had the confidence to do it in oils.

as always, thanks for sharing your work with us[/i]

Thank you very, very much Nick.

That is a masterpiece! The weathering is brilliant!

Don, I salute YOU! Believe me, accidents happen, and, it's better to be lucky than smart. I am humbled by your praise. Thank you, Don.

Hello Mark.

That's really a beautifull work and a fantastic weathering!!

Thank you, Jamme. Your 'cons make me blush. I wish I could say I have a plan and I know what this thing will look like when I finish, but the truth is, I have no idea. That's part of the reason why it's taking me so long to complete. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the topside. I've been staring at it for days, it seems, wondering. It's a complicated surface, so maybe I need to break it down into its most simplest forms. Hmm. Thanks for the idea.

Thank you all.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

I am going to have to agree with Nick on the mud. I would expect that there would still be mud from "normal" taxing around, but it might be more "feathered" at the edges of the stripe (if that makes sense?). The wheels on the bird in the photo are coated with soil/mud as well, which leads me to believe that this bird ended up in some soft area that was not as "packed" as the areas normally used by the aircraft, which lead to the large amount of soft, thick muck thrown up on the underside.

fwiw, as an alternative to oils, I just did some mud spatters on my PCM Hurri build (posted elsewhere) and used some Hudson and Allen mud (which is just dry pigment - MiG pigments would work the same). Mixed it up with water, and used a stiff brush which I raked with my finger or a toothpick (depending on how tight the space was) to spatter it on. Nice thing it is three-dimensional (really does look like mud), and you can rub it off it you are not happy.

Really love your build and looking forward to the finished product - as well as seeing more builds from you sir!

Cheers,

Doug

I really like this whole build MArk

I like the mud - the way to get the issue of tyres darker is yes - just cover them with mud!!!

It IS unusual how the mud stuck even after the plane overturned - it looks very thivk in the picture doesnt it - and i suppose it stayed there cause the plane overturned - it must have been stuck pretty hard to the undersides to be that thick!!

Great job mate - Adam

I am going to have to agree with Nick on the mud.

Bummer

fwiw, as an alternative to oils, I just did some mud spatters on my PCM Hurri build (posted elsewhere) and used some Hudson and Allen mud (which is just dry pigment - MiG pigments would work the same). Mixed it up with water, and used a stiff brush which I raked with my finger or a toothpick (depending on how tight the space was) to spatter it on. Nice thing it is three-dimensional (really does look like mud), and you can rub it off it you are not happy.

Guache is a water soluable pigment, and offers the same or similar dimensional qualities as mixed dry pigment. I saw the mud on your Hurri and not only liked it alot but also wondered what material you used. My method of application is the same, but because of all of the art and design supplies I have I use what I have in stock, rather than making new purchases.

Really love your build and looking forward to the finished product

Thank you, Doug. I'm looking forward to finishing this as well. My basement is a mess from between this, the K-4 build and the leaking dishwasher (yep, thru the flooring and right onto my modelling area), and I can't wait to finish so I can straighten the place up.

- as well as seeing more builds from you sir!

OOF! This one is wearing me out. And I still have the K-4 to do.

Thank you, Adam. I wondered how to make the tyres darker, and you're right, I covered them in mud! I just wish the mud stuck on it in flight!

Now that I'm over my disappointment that if I ever enter this model in a competition I'm going to have to enter in the fantasy catagory. . . .

I've done a little more stuff over the past few days.

DSCN5704.jpg

I took Dave's advice and went over the edgework of the mud. I didn't take out alot, but it makes a difference. Good call, Dave. Many thanks.

DSCN5699.jpg

Did a little oil painting to give the area around the panel lines some shadow value. Not a whole lot, just a little bit.

DSCN5700.jpg

A walk around of the oil painting.

DSCN5701.jpg

Empennage. I always wanted to say that.

DSCN5702.jpg

Port wing. A little extra guk at the flaps, leading edge flap bolts and hinge, wing blister, hatches, wing bolts, and landing flap hinge area.

DSCN5703.jpg

Starboard wing. Same thing, almost. No hatches.

DSCN5694.jpg

I popped out the piece that represents the seat harness attachment, cut two .5 x 2mm strips of copper sheet, glued them in place, glued the kit part back in place, then rolled the copper.

DSCN5695.jpg

Harnesses and belts. Eduard buckles, gelt foil wrap, blue painters tape. Belts painted with MM Armor Sand.

DSCN5696.jpg

Checkin' it out.

DSCN5697.jpg

Other side.

Thanks for lookin' in.

Sincerely,

Mark