Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

Ripaman, there is so very much to learn from the artisans on this site. They are truly a talented group.

Azgaron, I'm doing my best!

Tomek, There sure is a lot to go thru! Thank you.

Thank you all for looking in, and especially for your comments.

I've been plugging away, bit by bit.

DSCN5706.jpg

I have read that the fabric area faded faster than the metal aspects of the plane, so I tried my hand at a little fading process. Titanium White, but I suppose any White would do. Rubbed off with a cotton bud.

DSCN5705.jpg

Before and after comparative shot. A little bit of difference.

DSCN5707.jpg

Checking the contrast, which doesn't show very well here.

DSCN5708.jpg

Lower stab. Better contrast.

DSCN5709.jpg

Not too noticeable. Oh well.

DSCN5711.jpg

Added some White to the leading edge. Prop was painted 80% RLM70 + 20% white first. Then oversprayed with some straight 70. Then the White added.

DSCN5712.jpg

Rear.

DSCN5713.jpg

Flaps, topside.

DSCN5714.jpg

Flaps, bottom.

DSCN5717.jpg

Toned down the black with White also. Before and after contrast comparison.

A few more below.

DSCN5718.jpg

Painted up and installed most of the harness system. MM Armor Sand, MM RLM62 lap pads, RLM66 buckles and such, Brown. Positioned with double sided adhesive film.

DSCN5719.jpg

Minor weathering here. White to soften the top coat, dry brushed with RLM 02, then Silver.

DSCN5720.jpg

Dry brushed Silver, front . . .

DSCN5721.jpg

and back. I wonder where it is?

Thanks for stopping by.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark,

fwiw, I don't think you are in "Fantasy Land" at all! In fact, just last night while trying to come up with a paint scheme for my 109E4, I saw another aircraft with a similar mud splatter pattern (just not as heavy as your above reference photo (post #158) where the bird is flipped over in a ditch or low area), so I would say go forward with confidence as we have at least two data points supporting your mud splatters :)! I did not realize that gauche was similar to the pigment I used, but that is good to know for future reference as I can get some at my local art supply store.

Also, since I don't want your model to get damaged or moldy from the dripping dishwasher, I'll let you send it to me when it is done so I can keep it safely in my display case ;)

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by DougN

Doug, you made me smile.

Phil, you made me happy.

Thank you, guys.

I'm coming down to the wire. I've got most of the bits and pieces on. If that counterbalance hadn't pinged off into the ozone!

DSCN5722.jpg

Mud on a hatch, some fuel overflow.

DSCN5729.jpg

Burnt Umber mud, Warm Grey guache over Black guache exhaust, metal exhaust shield.

DSCN5730.jpg

Antenna wire down under, mud, exhaust, starter crank, exhaust shield.

Just a little more to do. That dang counterbalance, wash, flat, canopy, antenna wire, and formation lights.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Last Wednesday a snow storm ran thru the Washington, DC area and knocked out power to hundreds of thousands of folks. Yep, I was one of them. I finally regained power on Sunday. Saturday afternoon my wife and I were called out of town on an emergency. I was able to return at about 10pm Sunday. Power is restored and a disaster averted.

I'm calling it a day on this build. I have not done any weathering on the drop tank and won't attempt to do so until another time. I'm ready to move on.

Some glamour shots forthwith in no particular order. I hope you like close-ups. There are plenty.

DSCN5754.jpg

DSCN5756.jpg

DSCN5760.jpg

DSCN5761.jpg

DSCN5764.jpg

DSCN5763.jpg

DSCN5765.jpg

More to come.

Edited by dodgem37

Remaining dozen. Just kidding.

DSCN5784.jpg

DSCN5785.jpg

DSCN5786.jpg

DSCN5787.jpg

DSCN5788.jpg

DSCN5789.jpg

For whatever reason I was not able to get a clear shot of the canopy work. They kept turning up out of focus. Maybe I was too close. I'll keep trying and post those when I have something decent. Maybe within all of these images you were able to glean something from them.

What an effort. Highs, lows, elations, trepidations, freaking out, stress factors. This is model building?

Thank you ONE and ALL for your comments, suggestions, support, and especially for helping me see this thru.

Now it's time to decompress and organize my basement modelling space. Then it's on to the K-4. Yeow!

Sincerely,

Mark

Ta Ra!!!!! (no trumpet blowing emoticon!)

Well Done Mark! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I think its just right.

I wouldn't bother with the tank. I presume as they were pretty disposable items they would frequently be changed.

Thanks for the journey mate and some of the finest scratchbuilding I've ever seen.

You gotta get out of here now anyway before we all get swamped by the "Phantom Menace" as Loic calls them.

Bloody Sith conspiracy if you ask me!!!

Great build and I'm looking forward to your next!

Phil :thumbsup: