Erich Hartmann, Ace of Aces, Bf109G-14, Double Chevron

dodgem37

Thank you for your compliment, Matt.

As an educator, I have found that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

In response:

Nothing special. Just off the shelf Super Jet Medium Viscosity Professional Grade ca.

untitled.jpg

From a website:

Medium viscosity Super Jet has exceptional strength and gap-filling capabilities, ideal for nearly all instant bond situations.

Sets within 15-45 seconds.

Medium viscosity, exceptional strength and gap filling

Recommended for use on wood (including hard wood), metals, ceramics, rubber, most plastics, leather and some fabric.

Sincerely,

Mark

I'm still working on the bits and pieces, finishing them up, I hope.

DSCN5377.jpg

Antenna wire lead-in.

DSCN5378.jpg

Fuel dump. I know, it's supposed to be airfoil shape. I just didn't bother with it.

DSCN5379.jpg

A little drilling and shaping.

DSCN5380.jpg

Some more drilling. This time for the tail location light.

DSCN5381.jpg

This I almost forgot. Filled in the front weld seam. Added tubing.

DSCN5382.jpg

A little filling and sanding.

Thanks for dropping by.

Sincerely,

Mark

i hesitate to look at your builds as each time i think there is no way you can equal the work you have shown us in previous posts

what do you do?

you surpass it!

truly inspiring stuff

thanks for sharing a great build

Nick

Thank you very, very much, Nick. I am flattered and humbled by your and everyones compliments. Thank you and thank you each and everyone.

I decided I was just being impatient when it came to makeing the fuel dump, so I drilled it out, shaped the opening a bit, and made a new one.

DSCN5384.jpg

Here's the new opening. I opened it up with a .35 drill bit, opening it all of the way to the recessed panel line. It may be just a might too big.

DSCN5385.jpg

I cut some .005 sheet, coaxed it in half, located a .25 drill bit, and squeezed it with a triangle as close to the dimension as I could.

DSCN5387.jpg

I trimmed it, stuck it into the opening, squeezed the two ends lengthwise with a tweezer, ran a bead of super glue on the outside, let it dry, coaxed it open with an x-acto blade, stuck the .25 drill bit back in and worked the opening until the airfoil shape came back, sanding it a bit as needed.

DSCN5386.jpg

End result. The Verlinden book of Black 6, which is a G-2, shows the tube extends out from the fuselage a bit.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you for your compliments, Don.

I've been spending my time scribing.

DSCN5388.jpg

This structural support and fasteners are missing. Fasteners were pressed with a beading tool. It looks like a little clean-up is necessary.

DSCN5390.jpg

Other side.

DSCN5391.jpg

I mounted the bulge in the locating hole, outlined it so I would know where the top and bottom set, removed the locating pin, set it forward of the catch, aligned the front bulge line with the forward gasket line, ran a strip of dyno tape, scored, and trimmed the rear flange to match the rear gasket line. Or something like that. This too needs a little clean-up.

DSCN5392.jpg

Same here. Removed the umbrella stand. Dinged the plastic in the process.

Too many pictures. More below.

Wing stuff.

DSCN5394.jpg

Courtesy of the 109lair. A G-14 late wing panel layout.

DSCN5395.jpg

Making a parallel line. Centerline of forward flap (what is that called?) attachment point to centerline of third stitch.

DSCN5396.jpg

Pencil line.

DSCN5399.jpg

Port wing. Also filled in a panel line.

DSCN5400.jpg

Starboard wing.

DSCN5401.jpg

This little panel line should extend around.

DSCN5398.jpg

Tools of the trade. I forgot the toothbrush. Score with a needle, scribe with a tri-angular dental tool. Sand the ridges with sanding stick, clean and burnish with a micro tri-angular dental tool (it is actually a bent pick). Clean sanded residue from edges of recessed panel line with scalpel. Micro burnish panel line with fine rounded end pick. Course burnish panel line with course rounded end dental tool. Repeat as required.

I have been thinking about casting the turbo charger base to determine if I could mount the intake to it and finish the connection more smoothly than I have on past 109's but I can't seem to find my clay with which to make a mold dam. Maybe that's a sign to not mess with it. I guess I'll a least look into it.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you, Hakan. My apologies for taking so long to respond.

Some pics of the cockpit, of which I went overboard on taking. It was so nice to see color after working in grey and white for so long I couldn't help myself. I crashed and burned painting the ip. Luckily the K-4 has a G-14 ip in the not used pile.

Forthwith:

DSCN5404.jpg

I thought this was a groovy angle.

DSCN5405.jpg

So I did one for this side also.

DSCN5402.jpg

Obligatory side view.

DSCN5403.jpg

Other obligatory side view.

DSCN5406.jpg

I decided to expose the wood of the flap wheels.

DSCN5407.jpg

Armor sand for the pedal strap canvas color. Or is it leather?

DSCN5408.jpg

RLM 66 is 80% RLM66 and 20% white, throughout.

DSCN5409.jpg

Ochre oil paint for dirt.

More to follow.

Thank you for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark

I know, I know, how many cockpit pictures can one person take?!, for crying out loud!!

DSCN5411.jpg

Cockpit was painted gloss grey, silver, futured, RLM02, then the RLM66 concoction. The idea was to be able to scratch the top and/or top two layers off to reach 02 or silver. Sometimes it succeeded, sometimes not.

DSCN5412.jpg

A drop of future on one of the black knobs for contrast.

DSCN5413.jpg

Paynes Grey throughout for depth.

DSCN5414.jpg

RLM02 for highlights. Hardly noticeable, I know.

DSCN5416.jpg

It's a good thing I like yellow. Toward the front, at least a little

DSCN5419.jpg

Trying to look into the rear crevices.

DSCN5417.jpg

Other side.

DSCN5418.jpg

Last but not least, I guess.

Thanks for looking in.

Sincerely,

Mark