Hasegawa Avia S-92

LSP_Kevin

Well, I tried the Tamiya grey primer today, and it seemed to work fine. I shot it straight from the rattle can, and it went on quite smoothly. I haven't tried the tape test for adhesion, but I suspect it'll be fine. I think the sheer volume of paint applied, compared to airbrushing it, should make for a nice, robust surface. In fact, I've already slapped a coat of RLM 02 on it!

More soon.

Kev

Can't go wrong with that stuff. The Fine is nicest but both are great.

Thanks for the pointers on the Tamiya primer guys. I'd rate it equally with Mr Surfacer, though it's hard for me to compare them directly in this instance, since I airbrushed one and used the spray bomb for the other. I suspect I'd have had a better result with Mr Surfacer had I gone with the rattle can and not airbrushed it. Anyway, options are always good!

OK, so here's the latest update. I've managed to get most of the painting done for the wheel bays, and it's starting to look good I think. Apologies in advance for the photo-heavy post.

Nose bay stuff:

post-3071-1285401066.jpg

Cockpit tub, showing the fantastic MDC manufacturer's stencils. I think they really add something to the overall look:

post-3071-1285401314.jpg

Here's a sequence of shots showing all the various wheel bay bits coming together. Note again the use of the MDC stencils:

post-3071-1285401356.jpg

post-3071-1285401341.jpg

post-3071-1285401524.jpg

post-3071-1285401202.jpg

post-3071-1285401299.jpg

post-3071-1285401157.jpg

Notice in the shot above that I've thinned the plastic around the wheel wells. While it looks much better than before, it's created an additional problem for me in that I still have to box in the outer sections of the wheel bays (the 'wings' bit), but there's a large bevel to deal with where each side meets the main bay opening (the 'fuselage' bit). You can see it in the photo above if you look in the right place.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with this progress. What do you guys think?

Kev

Kev,

You have very good reason to be pleased with the outcome. It looks super fine!

The MDC decals really add another dimension, especially to the side walls.

My recollection is that there was a wing bottom to fuselage connection problem. Was this ever remedied?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

My recollection is that there was a wing bottom to fuselage connection problem. Was this ever remedied?

Indeed it was. I had originally thought the problem stemmed from either my forward bulkhead being too large, or the Trumpeter part that fits between the two bulkheads being too tall for the Hasegawa kit's internal dimensions. I had intended to reduce both parts as much as possible once they were firmly fixed in place. But I found when test-fitting it all together again that the bracket that extends down from the starboard side of the forward bulkhead was actually too tall, and was fouling the tank attached to the starboard sidewall. This picture should explain it better:

post-3071-1285409349.jpg

This forced the bulkhead to sit too high, which forced the wing centre section outward at that point. I cut the bracket it, shortened it by a couple of mm, and then glued it back in place. This seems to have allowed everything to sit comfortably in place. It's not quite perfect, but much better than before, and certainly doable. If that's the biggest problem I encounter in this build, I'll be happy!

Kev

er, you're telling me a Bf109 E-4 has a RLM66 cockpit?

don't think so

Actually, I'm not telling you anything Nick, other than that the nose wheel bay on a 262 was RLM02. But FWIW, my understanding is that the cockpit colour for the 109 was changed during the E model production run, so from the E-4 onwards, it could actually have been either (but most likely 02 unless you know for sure that the machine you're modelling was built late in the production run).

Kev

hey Kev

i was just catching up on your thread, and i always reply as i go along that's all, and when scanning through the link you posted, that's what jumped out...

ANYways....

i really like your build work

the MDC placards do look very cool indeed; my cockpit dials on my Dora didn't look anywhere near as good

cheers

Nick

Thanks for the kind words fellas, I really appreciate them. I'm waaaay behind on painting the hallway though, as patching it up took waaaay longer than I'd planned (it's in really bad shape), so updates to this build may slow for a while.

Kev

er, you're telling me a Bf109 E-4 has a RLM66 cockpit?

don't think so

Sorry for the hijack, but fwiw, current thinking by the experten on this topic is that Messerschmitt produced E4's were 02, and other contract builders of E4's (Fieseler, Arado et al) painted them 66, like the other aircraft they were used to producing.

Cheers,

Doug

Actually, I'm not telling you anything Nick, other than that the nose wheel bay on a 262 was RLM02. But FWIW, my understanding is that the cockpit colour for the 109 was changed during the E model production run, so from the E-4 onwards, it could actually have been either (but most likely 02 unless you know for sure that the machine you're modelling was built late in the production run).

Kev

Kev,

sorry to "off-topic" you (again!), but i saw this on HS just now, so i put my hand up and say i stand corrected

Lynn

(Login lmritger)

HyperScale Forums

Pardon the pun, but E-4s and E-7s can be a real "grey area"... October 1 2010, 8:37 AM

namely because airframes would be recycled into progressively advanced marks when they were rebuilt after damage from combat or ground loops or what have you. For example, I have a ton of E-7 serials in the loss lists from Jim Perry which also match up with E-1 production blocks... makes things pretty aggravating when you're trying to research losses.

Anyways, to address the question directly, to keep myself sane (ha!) I generally paint the cockpits of E-1s and E-3s in 02, and E-4s and E-7s in 66- unless of course I have a photo of the airframe I'm modeling. I've had some interesting conversations lately with Dave Wadman who has suggested there might actually be a manufacturer-based logic to interior schemes based mostly on observations in Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports, but I haven't had the time to chase that down... it does hold promise, though, and is something I very much want to follow up on. It would be great to be able to have at least SOME sort of "definitive" answer to offer other than "Hey, this looks about right".

Cheers!

Lynn

memo to self: know what you're talking about before posting!!!!

:speak_cool: :thumbsup: :lol: