Hasegawa Avia S-92

LSP_Kevin

Folks, I have a small dilemma. I've been working on the main undercarriage legs, which for this model are the white metal units from the Trumpeter kit. The problem is, while the main legs come in both metal and plastic, the scissor links are provided only in plastic. So, I don't have any scissor links for the main gear legs for this build. While I could attempt to scratch-build them, I don't fancy having to make 2 identical sets, and I'm not sure my skills (or time) will stretch to it anyway.

I was hoping that perhaps someone might be able to help out, either by having a spare set they could furnish me with (unlikely), or by making resin copies of the plastic ones for me (more likely). I'm more than happy to send you my parts, and compensate for any costs involved. Would probably help if you were local to me, but obviously not necessary.

Can anyone help out?

Kev

Folks, I have a small dilemma. I've been working on the main undercarriage legs, which for this model are the white metal units from the Trumpeter kit. The problem is, while the main legs come in both metal and plastic, the scissor links are provided only in plastic. So, I don't have any scissor links for the main gear legs for this build. While I could attempt to scratch-build them, I don't fancy having to make 2 identical sets, and I'm not sure my skills (or time) will stretch to it anyway.

I was hoping that perhaps someone might be able to help out, either by having a spare set they could furnish me with (unlikely), or by making resin copies of the plastic ones for me (more likely). I'm more than happy to send you my parts, and compensate for any costs involved. Would probably help if you were local to me, but obviously not necessary.

Can anyone help out?

Kev

Bump...anybody?

Kev

I hope someone can come up with those gear leg scissors Kev. I am sure it will pan out in the end.

Having seen how you have stuck at this build through thick and thin I am sure she will turn out a real stunner.

Lots of great saves during the build and she's staring to really come together now.

Keep at it!

Phil :thumbsup:

G'day Kev,

I can help you out if no one any closer steps to the plate. There has been a cavernous echo on this website lately it seems,

J

J

It is looking good, Kev!

I could help you out with the scissors, too, but am out of town and won't be back till April.

Thanks guys. I'm trying desperately to finish this build for a comp on April 3, so I've decided to man up and attempt to scratch-build the scissor links.

Jerry, I'll get payment off to you for those Wildcat wheels shortly!

Kev

Righto fellas, just a brief update. I've spent all my modelling time since our last get-together scratch-building the erstwhile scissor links. I meant to take some shots of them prior to assembly, but somehow forgot. I find myself once again having to apologise for my poor photography!

a7C0Xw.jpg

yJxU5r.jpg

RIJCLC.jpg

tbn5X2.jpg

Each set is made in 2 main halves, comprising 10 and 7 parts respectively, totalling 34 parts for the lot. I managed somehow to get each scissor link to articulate, prior to gluing them together. They're not great, but should be acceptable once painted and weathered.

Kev

Righto fellas, just a brief update. I've spent all my modelling time since our last get-together scratch-building the erstwhile scissor links. I meant to take some shots of them prior to assembly, but somehow forgot. I find myself once again having to apologise for my poor photography!

a7C0Xw.jpg

yJxU5r.jpg

RIJCLC.jpg

tbn5X2.jpg

Each set is made in 2 main halves, comprising 10 and 7 parts respectively, totalling 34 parts for the lot. I managed somehow to get each scissor link to articulate, prior to gluing them together. They're not great, but should be acceptable once painted and weathered.

Kev

Looks like your efforts payed off nicely Kevin! The torque links look very nice indeed. You may want to add some fastener detail where they attach to the oleo struts and at their pivot points. Very nice work! The 262 is one of my all time favorite aircraft and you're doing it complete justice.

Cheers,
Wolf

Hi Kevin,

i watch in amazement what you get out of this old kit.When I think of this scissors and how small they are in reality I can only roll my eyes. Have to learn a lot yet. :clap2:

Edited by fam43

Hey, thanks for the kind words fellas! My poor photography flatters them slightly, but I'm glad you think they're OK. I've since attached the retraction pistons and done a test-fit into the wheel bays. All good so far. The next step is to plumb them up with the appropriate wiring and then prime and paint them.

At this rate I'm not going to make my deadline, but I haven't given up hope yet. More soon.

Kev

Hi Kev

All that fuss and nonsense about the scissor links.They look absolutly fine...I hope they have given you the confidence to scratch build other parts when needed because looking at your work you should have no problems!

Keep at it mate

Cheers