New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Did some work on the seat. I think that the trumpy seat is too high and narrow so I used one of my resin ones from my old P-38J update. Did a little tweaking on it as far as shape and the stiffening grooves. Tried to get a pic to compare it to the real deal from Glacier Girl. Hopefully the glare from the pic didn't interfer too much

001-14.jpg

The gun charging handle was definitely on earlier models than the H. I lived with my parents in Papua New Guinea in the late 70's till 1980 and the National Museum there had an F model that also had the charging handle identical to the one you modelled and seen in our H model.

Most reference pictures seem to have the control column masking that side of the cockpit so it is hard to see, but it is there.

h_VILU___P38_COCKPIT_AREA.jpg

si62.jpg

P-38G

Lockheed_P-38G_cockpit_looking_in_from_left_wing_061019-F-1234P-004.jpg

P-38D

P-38D%20Lightning.JPG

P-38G

P-38G%20Lightning4.jpg

P38H

P-38H%20Lightning.jpg

Even a cursory look at the USCockpits site shows the gun charging handle in all early Lightnings.

Cheers

Tony

Very cool piccies,thanks. Wish I had a 1/24 scale P-38 to detail. You could go wild!

J

VFS has a 1/24 P-38 on their "long" list of kits they want to do.

Wouldn't that be awesome!!!!!!!!!??????

Yea Baby!

Started on the main panel in the pit. I use an antique method that I learned many moons ago. I hope the pix come out in the correct order. Firts I make a template in the basic shape and then add the main features on it. Then I cut a piece of clear plastic to match it. I then add PE bezels,knobs and buttoms right on the clear part. When the details are added I then paint the parts that won't be clear. I am up to that point now.

001-15.jpg

003-4.jpg

005-1.jpg

Darn!! Of coursr the pix ended up in backwardss sequence. Maybe some one can fix it? I also added a pic of the Fotocut and Waldron PE that I chose from for the bezels. Hope it doesn't look too sub standard as som eof the work on this site has really raised the bar!!

J

Darn!! Of coursr the pix ended up in backwardss sequence. Maybe some one can fix it? I also added a pic of the Fotocut and Waldron PE that I chose from for the bezels. Hope it doesn't look too sub standard as som eof the work on this site has really raised the bar!!

J

I reversed them for you JR. I hope they came out as you intended.

Kev

I love the way you make stuff Jerry - what a gas this is watching you work - It's like watching myself! :hi: (sometimes, the old methods still work the best for me also :popcorn:).

Cheers

Derek

I am willing to change when I see something that looks better but when I build an IP this method still is the best for me. I was looking at it today and noticed that all of the dials seem out of kilter but when you look at the real one that's the way it is. I do think that I got 2 of them wrong though.

J

Here is a quick comparison of the basic nacelle types of the 38. On the left is an old resin part that I carved to the basic shape of an XP-38. The thrust line would be lower though(the spinner placement),next is the nacelle shape up to the H model and of course,the last is the "chin lightning" which was used up till the end of the series.

001-16.jpg