New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

I started on the smaller supercharger air scoop for the early 38 models. It is around 1/2 the size of the later marks and a different shape. The later model scoops like the kit piece here in silver were tear drop shaped while the early ones were more like a BF109 scoop.

I did a little painting on the center floor consol and the cross consol.

002-10.jpg

003-5.jpg

Your dedication to craftsmanship certainly shows through in that IP. Really top shelf detailing going on there. Thanks for such inspiring work.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Means a lot. It's sure nice to be building models again. It's almost like I just started again!

Absolutely right about the torbo air scoop changing from early to late models Jerry.

The later ones had a pod shape with the rear end coming to a point at the rear where as the early models the rear curved in to meet the outer surface of the boom. It is a point missed by most model companies when making their multi-version P-38 kits. The early versions were also made of shaped aluminium where as the later ones were shaped and welded steel.

The interesting fact is that the change-over was not at the point the J model chin intercoolers appeared, the H model had all the early model details but sported a J model turbo scoop. Our restoration has F model early turbo scoops as the originals had totally rusted away by the time the restoration started.

DSC00085.jpg

Sorry about the crap focus, old picture.

Cheers

Tony

Good pic Tony once again. Thanks.

When building the revell kit the worst seem/fit there is on the beast is the bottom wing joint to the fuselage. The fillit is supposed to be proud of the wing/fuselage but this baby is out of control plus there was a ridge about 1/8 inch out from the meeting point. This is what it looks like after the sandpaper assault and first putty.

001-17.jpg

:)

Great work Jerry. Your building techniques are something all can use. The question I have is, are you going to make this work (resin cockpit, turbochargers, scoops, ect.) for an E model available through you catalog for the Revell version of the P-38? If so add my name to any list for future sales. Again, great work.

:deadhorse:

Great work Jerry. Your building techniques are something all can use. The question I have is, are you going to make this work (resin cockpit, turbochargers, scoops, ect.) for an E model available through you catalog for the Revell version of the P-38? If so add my name to any list for future sales. Again, great work.

There is a new revell backdate set at the end of this,yes. It will have the windscreen,smaller boom scoops,streamlined nacelles,small supercharger scoop and the 2 scoops that go on top of the booms with the turbos. This cockpit on this thread is just for me but I may do one is resin in the future. This project would make it easier for me to accomplish that as I got all of the research done by making mine! I'll see what happens and if there is any interest. Not many guys want to bother with the old revell kits any more. Revells'P-38 has a nice shape but the surface details are neanderthal.

Thanks for checking in,

J

Jerry,

I hold several Revell kits in reserve just for such conversions. You can count on me for an order on this as well as the cockpit if you choose to produce it. The quality seems to just get better with each effort!

here is a photo showing the canvas panel eyebrow (even though this is a J)

Brian Silcox

http://www.flightof2photography.com

post-1617-1267560362.jpg

Don't tempt me with a great conversion for this kit Jerry! I like neanderthal details!

That comment reminded me of some pics I shot last year just waiting for a P-38 to do.

camarilloairsho021.jpg

Not to subtle there for sure.

Does the E have this tab on the tail???

camarilloairsho019.jpg

I think these were of Chino's L but not sure.

Keep up the great work, that panel looks cool!

Don't tempt me with a great conversion for this kit Jerry! I like neanderthal details!

That comment reminded me of some pics I shot last year just waiting for a P-38 to do.

camarilloairsho021.jpg

Not to subtle there for sure.

Does the E have this tab on the tail???

camarilloairsho019.jpg

I think these were of Chino's L but not sure.

Keep up the great work, that panel looks cool!

Those are some heavy duty fasteners man! More like a Grant tank hull. I never noticed those tabs on the tail before. I wonder what's up with that? Have to check it out. I am far from that point though.

J

Jerry,

I hold several Revell kits in reserve just for such conversions. You can count on me for an order on this as well as the cockpit if you choose to produce it. The quality seems to just get better with each effort!

here is a photo showing the canvas panel eyebrow (even though this is a J)

Brian Silcox

http://www.flightof2photography.com

Thanks for the kind words brother. That is one cool painting that you did. I am doing a canvas shield but it will be straight like on the restoration pics of Glacier girl. The gunsight mount was different for the late models so they had to push the canvas up or take it off. I am guessing here of course. Cool work Brian.