New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Those large fasteners are correct for all P-38's as our H has them and the F and F-4A in the Port Moresby museum had them as well. Similar with the tab around the tailplane tip, it is where the skins are riveted together. The wingtip has a similar construction method.

Cheers

Tony

Those large fasteners are correct for all P-38's as our H has them and the F and F-4A in the Port Moresby museum had them as well. Similar with the tab around the tailplane tip, it is where the skins are riveted together. The wingtip has a similar construction method.

Cheers

Tony

Cool little detail that is brand new to me. I am pretty sure that none of the books that I have cover that. Of course I haven't really looked at all of the tail pics yet as I am not at that point in the build. Thanks!!

J

JR,

According to my late Great Uncle, who flew just about every fighter in WWII, the fasteners and the tabs were added to all 38's. When it was learned that the 38's experienced buffeting in high speed dives, they added these features to strengthen the tail section and help correct the buffeting. At least thats what Woody told me many years ago. Most of these details are routinely overlooked but he pointed out many these tidbits at airshows to me many years back.

I am probably one of the few people, then a kid, who could say his Uncle Woody had a P-51C in his backyard! He bought it from Uncle Sam for $11,000 after the war. He always said it was his favorite aircraft to fly.

Rocky

There is a new revell backdate set at the end of this,yes. It will have the windscreen,smaller boom scoops,streamlined nacelles,small supercharger scoop and the 2 scoops that go on top of the booms with the turbos. This cockpit on this thread is just for me but I may do one is resin in the future. This project would make it easier for me to accomplish that as I got all of the research done by making mine! I'll see what happens and if there is any interest. Not many guys want to bother with the old revell kits any more. Revells'P-38 has a nice shape but the surface details are neanderthal.

Thanks for checking in,

J

:thumbsup:

Yes Jerry, I know the issues of going out on a limb and making something that you hope will sell. I have made a lot of patterns as well and know of what you speak. However, I believe that there are more people out there who like the old Revell kits but need assistance in improving them. Most of the Revell kits have good to excellent form and are true to shape to design than newer kits. I hope you do go forward and offer the resin version of what you are doing, because it is WICKED. If the old Revell kits are good enough for Rodney Williams, then they are good enough for me.

JR,

According to my late Great Uncle, who flew just about every fighter in WWII, the fasteners and the tabs were added to all 38's. When it was learned that the 38's experienced buffeting in high speed dives, they added these features to strengthen the tail section and help correct the buffeting. At least thats what Woody told me many years ago. Most of these details are routinely overlooked but he pointed out many these tidbits at airshows to me many years back.

I am probably one of the few people, then a kid, who could say his Uncle Woody had a P-51C in his backyard! He bought it from Uncle Sam for $11,000 after the war. He always said it was his favorite aircraft to fly.

Rocky

You are very lucky to have a relation that could walk you through this stuff. I love the guys from that generation. Almost all of them were alergic to BS and considering what they accomplished there weren't many braggers either. This is true as far as my experience goes,with all of the allied guys that I have met as well as,interestingly,the German guys as well.

I was always facinated by my Pops' stories about Pearl Harbor and the early Pacific naval battles and by my best friends' Dads' tales about Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge.

Amazing that you could be one of these ubercool fighters for 11grand and now they are as rare as hens' teeth,

J

dude,

This is looking mighty sweet. The panel and interior details are just great. This is gonna be a bute...show off :thumbsup:

Looking forward to much more...

Geoff

Welll,when you complete that P-51 you could just climb in her and fly over to Pa!!

Or wait until Mosquitocon.

J

:thumbsup:

Yes Jerry, I know the issues of going out on a limb and making something that you hope will sell. I have made a lot of patterns as well and know of what you speak. However, I believe that there are more people out there who like the old Revell kits but need assistance in improving them. Most of the Revell kits have good to excellent form and are true to shape to design than newer kits. I hope you do go forward and offer the resin version of what you are doing, because it is WICKED. If the old Revell kits are good enough for Rodney Williams, then they are good enough for me.

OK,noted. Isn't Rodney"Da Man"? He could build anything brother. They have a great pool of builders down there in the Soth'run regions. I would like to live there but it's too hot for me plus they don't like Yankees movin' down there. LOL

J

Jerry

haven't recieved your package yet. but it is snowing here again. when did you mail it?

on another note, a guy at show was selling P-38's for $10.00 each Droop snoops for $15.00. you don't feel bad if you mess up those, but a $100.00 Trumpy kit makes my insides hurt when i mess them up.

glen

Jerry

haven't recieved your package yet. but it is snowing here again. when did you mail it?

on another note, a guy at show was selling P-38's for $10.00 each Droop snoops for $15.00. you don't feel bad if you mess up those, but a $100.00 Trumpy kit makes my insides hurt when i mess them up.

glen

It was mailed last week on Sat.

I have another revell kit standing by but it's in bad shape. Some one started to build it and then broke it apart to get it back in the box. Works for me though. I have a trumpy kit too. It will become an XP-38 presto chango.

J

Managed to get some work in between casting parts. It doesn't look like much but it took a lot of puttying and reshaping and starting over to get the oil cooler openings in the nacelle bottoms to look right to me. My old conversion parts were too big in the diameter of the openings judging by the new pics that I had of Glacier Girl. The smaller supercharger scoop in the foreground is done and by comparison,took a LOT less work than the nacelle.

001-18.jpg

Jerry

got box tonite :rolleyes: . with all those heavy signs on it my wife thought i was buying more ammo :DodgeBall: . it's like models, you never have enough :evil_laugh: . LOL

i'm going to break into box now.

later glen :piliot:

Jerry

got box tonite :speak_cool: . with all those heavy signs on it my wife thought i was buying more ammo :DodgeBall: . it's like models, you never have enough :D . LOL

i'm going to break into box now.

later glen :piliot:

I was trying to use up all of the old boxes around here that were taking up so much room. I think that ws an old resin box. Looked pretty sinister. I think those norden bombsights will work for your P-38s as well as that huge B-29.