New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Thanks for the great ideas guys. I will have to check out that small parts page Geoff. I already was planning on it becuase of the little bolt heads and there is more of a reason. I got one of the Brita filters and there are indeed a million of those little balls. The biggest ones worked for the smaller knobs but I need something else for the 4 larger ones. Here is a pic with the 4 small knobs and just the levers for where the 4 big ones go.

002-5.jpg

for round knobs i use the smallest beads they sell from the local craft store here.. don't have the exact size on them but i can look next time i've got my stuff out. The nice thing about them is they have a hole pre-drilled through the middle of them that accepts a piece of 28 guage wire perfectly.. just a tiny drop of super thin CA on the top of the hole and sand it smooth. They also make super tiny hex shaped beads that you can slice with a single edge razor to make perfect nuts. i think a container of 1000 cost me a dollar.

Got some more of the tiniest bits done. Added the knobs on the throttles,etc. Got the left side light control box done as well as the radio reciever box. Started on the center consol and main switchbox. The major difference here will be the manual charging handle for the machine guns. That was not on the later models. It's coming along. I also got the right side on the wing sanded and rescribed part way and started shaping the kit props. They are really thick but better shaped than the Trumpy version imo. Pix later on that as I can't hardly see any more today.

001-9.jpg

The basic shape of the throtle tower,the center consol and the cross piece are from my resin set for the P-38. I sanded all of the detail off so I could get more accurate details made for the E version of the P-38. Everything else is evergreen plastic and metal wire. Thanks for looking in,

J

The computer was pre-empted yesterday by high school homework so I couldn't get to post. Here is some more progress on the center consol and switchbox. Notice,once again,the pilots' manual gun charging handle. This is the most notable difference on the swithboard crosspiece. The toggle switches still need trimming,etc.

001-10.jpg

Cool details Jerry, that cockpit is gonna look nice and busy!

Thanks Matt! In fact,right now it's a little TOO busy. After a test fit I discovered some of the left side stuff was a little too big and it will have to be adjusted. Also,the oxygen tube is in the way of the steering yoke and I need to re-shape that as well.

Here is a pic of the windscreen for the E model that I built a few months ago and subsequently gave away. I will have to do that over!! Also,pics of the revell kit boom top for the J model and the other boom as it undergoes the change to an E model.Those raised louvres are supposed to be indented,the small bumbs ger smaller,the 2 scoops get smaller as well and re-shaped and the whole area around the turbo is different. Luckily I have some great pics of Glacier Girl to work from.

P-38wind001-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg