New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Dusted off one of my relics from the olden days and decided to re-make my cockpit for the revell kit. I wanted to do the older cockpit from the E model though. The revell kit is tricky to work with because it's top and bottom,not in two halves like most kits. This means I will be doing it while the thing is buttoned up like building a ship in a bottle. First thing I did was thin out the side walls where the side windows will be. These windows rolled down like a car window into slots on the sides of the copckpit. I then made the floor and the deck for the radio bay as well as the side walls. This is always the hardest part for me. Getting all the rough dimensions fitted out. This is a nice break from working on my endless P-51 project,notice the revell kit cockpit in all it's glory.

P-38002.jpg

Brill...I love the P-38 (especially the P-38M Night Fighter - not surprisingly!). I look forward to watching this progress (You know what they say Jerry, a change is as good as a rest :hmmm:) :speak_cool: :blush:

Derek

:closedeyes:

Yes Jerry, get on with this thing. I have a Revell waiting in the wings that is begging to be converted to an E model. Will you present conversion work on the Revell Kit??

I am going to re-make my old conversion set for the P-38E. I don't think that I will re-make my whole cockpit set though,

J

Nice to see some interest. Thanks guys. Here are some more progress piccies. I added the stiffening bars to the back bulkhead and the flanges that hold the radio deck on. Made the radio rack basic frame and reworked some of my old P-51 radios that I made for my P-51B kit. The radio set-up was a little different for the E birds than the L version that this revell kit depicts. I would really like to have a pic of the other side of that flat radio box at the back of the deck.

Lastly I made a junction box sitting on the forward lip of the deck and the brackets on each side that will hold the main frame for the rear canopy. How'm I doin' so far? Haven't built a plane for just me in about15 years or so.

003.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

How did you do those rivets? I like them.

Dumb question, Will this E version work in the J or is it vastly different? I don't know much about the P-38 to be honest.

The E cockpit is a little different in the radio fittings and some other avionics and stuff. The steering was done with a steering wheel and not a yoke like the later P-38s.

J