New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

It's funny,the work that I did 10 years ago that I was happy with at the time seems very neanderthal now.

I know that feeling Jerry...Scratch building is like good wine; it improves with age :wow:

Derek

Geoff was kidding me about the aluminum. He knows I won't do it! LOL. Got some more bits done this evening. Almost done with the throttle tower. Just have to add the toggles on the middle of the top and of course the levers. There are 4 on the front and 4 on the back plus one on the trailing edge. I have been trying to make parts in groupings so I can paint them seperately before I install them in the pit.

006.jpg

Thanks for the kind words again guys! Here is the start of the port side pit. Got the side panel done and started on the light transfer box and fuel tank selectors. Set the throttle tower in there to see how it all fits. Any one have any good ideas on making tiny little roung knobs? I can make them but they have to uniform in size and therin lies the problem. I should run out of resin more often,this is FUN!

001-8.jpg

Any one have any good ideas on making tiny little roung knobs? I can make them but they have to uniform in size and therin lies the problem.

Hi Jerry,

I was in need of a 'round knob' to complete my latest pattern. I used a very useful tip that I picked up from a fellow pattern maker. Here in the UK, we have somthing called Brita water filters that can be purchased from local stores (hopefully, there are American equivalents?) - these are small conical plastic filters that are filled with microscopic beads and charcoal of varying sizes to filter water (I have absolutely no idea what they are made of?). If you open the container, and filter out the charcoal from the beads, you are left with hundreds (if not thousands) of tiny beads of differing types and diameters - you can then select and use the correct size for your needs.

HTH

Derek

Hi Jerry,

I was in need of a 'round knob' to complete my latest pattern. I used a very useful tip that I picked up from a fellow pattern maker. Here in the UK, we have somthing called Britas water filters that can be purchased from local stores (hopefully, there are American equivalents?) - these are small conical plastic filters that are filled with microscopic beads and charcoal of varying sizes to filter water (I have absolutely no idea what they are made of?). If you open the container, and filter out the charcoal from the beads, you are left with hundreds (if not thousands) of tiny beads of differing types and diameters - you can then select and use the correct size for your needs.

HTH

Derek

Outstanding idea. We have Brita here as well and I will check that out. This is why this website ROCKS!!

J

Hey Bubba,

Beautiful detail thus far. Your attention to the little things makes all the difference in the world.

About your need for small spheres...Aside from Derek's suggestion about the Brita filter, if that doesnt work for you, check out a company called Small Parts. Tou can find them at smallparts.com. They have a line of synthetic saphire spheres that are cheap and come in differentr sizes. They sell a bunch of other stuff too that you might find interesting.

Keep up the great work. Its good to see you showcase your skills on something for yourself...

Best,

Geoff