New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

Took these shots of our P-38H-5 today, your cockpit looks pretty dashed good!

100_0518.jpg

005.jpg

Some details of the eraly turbo shrouds, this aircraft had a mod seen on quite a few New Guinea veterans in that the small scoops had the front lip sawn off for increased airflow and cooling.

100_0524.jpg

100_0525.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Took these shots of our P-38H-5 today, your cockpit looks pretty dashed good!

100_0518.jpg

005.jpg

Some details of the eraly turbo shrouds, this aircraft had a mod seen on quite a few New Guinea veterans in that the small scoops had the front lip sawn off for increased airflow and cooling.

100_0524.jpg

100_0525.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Spot on pics of what I am looking for mate! I didn't even know that there was an H model. The pit pic shows a few things that my shadowy pics that I was working with only suggested. IE the flat,angled plate under the center consol and a few other thingies. I notice this bird had more than a few toggles on top of the yoke while the glacier girl only had one. My resin IP is only filling in until a new one gets build as it is for a J or L model. My Para jumpmaster training has cursed/blessed me with noticing always the tiniest details. Sigh. I wish that I could work on this today but duty calls and I must fill orders/cast resin,sweep out the place,etc,

Thanks a bunch man for these perfect pics and for your kind words. Gotta love the people from Oz and Kiwiland(not specifically in that order!) lol,

J

Cheers Jerry. The H model was a transition between the early E/F/G models and the J as it externally looked like the early models but had more powerfull engines like the J and it exposed the deficiencies in the original leading edge intercooler setup that led to the change in the chin cowlings.

If you need any specific angles or details anywhere on the aircraft just say so and I will shoot a few shots.

For now, a few more cockpit shots

100_0519.jpg

Note the edge of the instrument panel curves out into the cockpit.

100_0521.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0523.jpg

Some details in front of the windshield including the armour plate under the screen itself.

100_0529.jpg

What the engine intakes really look like inside.

100_0515.jpg

Overall view of the turbo setup.

100_0517.jpg

A lovely view!

100_0526.jpg

Cheers and go for the canvas cover!

Tony

WOOOOW! Fabulous pics man. I see some more stuff for my 'pit. Can you get some views of the way the gunsite was mounted under that flat armoured plateglass? And the type of seat?

Very hard to find existing P-38s let alone an earler version.

JR

Cool shots!! They did a good job piecing the wrecks together. Had a lot of tax stuff to repare today and only got a little build time in. Did some work on the front shape of the nacelle and a lot of work on the one prop. There are 2 comparison shots of the kit prop on the left and the one on the right after I started whittling.

002-8.jpg

001-13.jpg

Nice work as usual Jerry. Just be aware that any shots I take that show the props on our P-38 should be ignored because the props are not P-38 ones (a pair of Hamilton Standard DC-3 props rather than Curtiss electric units) and in fact both rotate the same way. A concession to the rarity of genuine handed Lightning props.

Cheers

Tony

Nice work as usual Jerry. Just be aware that any shots I take that show the props on our P-38 should be ignored because the props are not P-38 ones (a pair of Hamilton Standard DC-3 props rather than Curtiss electric units) and in fact both rotate the same way. A concession to the rarity of genuine handed Lightning props.

Cheers

Tony

Noted,thanks. I have great shots of the proper props. The revell examples are really nice as far as plane shape,just too thick. They are a much better start than the trumpy ones. And of course,they are handed. I am willing to settle with the kit versions after thinning but it would be nice to get just a bit more"twist" in them. There is something in the nacelle intakes that I never noticed before and I wonder because it's a restoration that this shows. The exterior walls of the openings are rounded only a little bit back in the opening and then go flat on the exterior walls until they get to the oil coolers. Hmmmmm. Keep these great shots coming please?

J

I see that now. It is a weird optical illusion because the sides of the cooler are flat and black and don't have that texture. The cooler seems to be one piece and runs across both openings. I am reshaping my conversion part so that's why I'm on it.

J

The oil coolers are two drum type units, one behind each opening. The only concession you should make for the restoration is that they are dummy units with pieces of car or truck radiator matrix inserted in the front and rear to simulate the originals. They are definitely seperate units plus the intake is a restored original so the contours are pretty good.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks again for these news pics. I am trying to figure out the best way to make this part so that I can make a mold of it. I don't want it to be too complicated but at the same time,accurate. My usual dillema. LOL I think that I have it sorted.

Saw on a thread on Hyperscale that the mg manual charging handle was only in the pit of the H but my refs seem to indicate otherwise. The pic I have shows it in the pit of an E model. Any light on the subject?