Warbird Productions/Grey Matter Aviation 1/32 P-40F/L Nose Conversion

Derek B

This is still very much WIP at present. I am still currently assembling reference material for this conversion. I have started on the pattern. Vasko Barbic (Warbird Productions) had originally made this nose pattern some time ago for the Revell kit, but had never released it. Now that the Hasegawa P-40E is available, it made sense to rework it to fit this kit. Due to the complex nature of the radiator matrix outlet cooling gills, I have proposed a nose break down as shown below:

post-596-1252658645.jpg

This will end up as a three part nose conversion kit for the Hasegawa kit. Thanks to the very kind generosity of LSP Bill M, a Hasegawa kit has been made available to me in order to rework Vasko's nose pattern to. The pictures below show how I have sectioned the Hasegawa kit in order to achceive the necessary fit for the nose section. The first thing I noticed was that the Hasegawa kit fuselage cross-section at the nose joint is significantly different to that of the Revell P-40 (for which this nose was originally designed). The Hasegawa kit is much broader at the top of the nose than the Revell kit. This will neccessitate the building up of the outside of the pattern upper nose cowling in order to match the Hasegawa kit at the cockpit windscreen section. Only when I can get a good fuselage contour match can I then consider sectioning the nose for further detailing.

A new radiator matrix and lower fuselage outlet cooling duct system and cooling flaps/gills (all the way aft to the wing front spar) shall be required for this conversion. This area is difficult to get right, but I have some LSP friends assiting me with information in this area (thank you :D). I shall post additional pictures as the conversion pattern progresses.

P-40Fnose002.jpg

P-40Fnose006.jpg

P-40Fnose015.jpg

P-40Fnose009.jpg

P-40Fnose011.jpg

P-40Fnose012.jpg

P-40Fnose013.jpg

Regards

Derek

Derek,

The pattern is looking great. It looks like a Merlin-powered P-40 should look. I am excited to see these updates. For those that are looking forward to the P-40F/L conversion like I am, you should know that Eli Raphael of Zotz Decals is also working on a set of P-40F/L decals in 1/32 scale (maybe 1/48 too). There are some attractve and well documented schemes coming. It looks like the future is promising for those of us wanting to build some Merlin-powered Warhawks.

Bill M.

There are already some decals available for "Nona II" a P-40L, they come with the new Kagero book "Fighters Over Italy", links: http://stormomagazine.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=693 & http://www.pwm.org.pl/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7160 & here's a link to a profile of Nona II: http://www.balad.afcent.af.mil/shared/medi...-080113-002.jpg

Nice looking conversion.

All the piccies will be in the next update. Here's some though that might help.

Cheers Matty

PS Many thanks to the fine folks that I met the other day who gave me permission to take the piccies.

Finally!

That's great pictures! looking after for a long time...

Many thanks to you All, Matt and Others.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Curtiss-P-4...hawk/1534415/M/

I can imagine it's a happy day for you Derek!

Raphael

Corsair Cowl flap madness for the P40F?

I just came across these pictures. They are great!... and I am sure they will be what Derek has been looking for to complete the masters for the P-40F/L nose unit conversion. Thanks for making the effort to get these photos. Also, thanks to the owners of that splendidly restored P-40F who made it available for photographing.

• 9 years later...