Matchbox Sea Venom

LSP_Kevin

Not a great deal of progress since my last update, but I did elect to do something about kit's representation of the fixed slats on the outer wings.

Exhibit A:

post-3071-1223037267.jpg

Even with my poor photography, it should be easy to see that they're just moulded on lumps. You might be able to get away with it in 1/72 scale, but not here. So, I carved them off, scored a couple of cuts in each wing, and then glued styrene strip into them as pins to hold new slats.

Exhibit B:

post-3071-1223037294.jpg

Getting them at the wrong angle was easy. The next step was to cut them down to little nubbins, and glue my replacement slats onto them. These I attempted to fashion from drink-can aluminium. I'm still coming to terms with working with this stuff, so the results aren't sensational by any means, but I figure ya gotta keep tryin', right?

Exhibits C & D:

post-3071-1223037243.jpg

post-3071-1223037279.jpg

As a piece of engineering it's pretty ordinary, but I'm still hopeful it will look better than the kit representation after primer and paint. Gotta do the other one yet though...

I've also concluded phase one of the filling and sanding process with the main assembly:

post-3071-1223037311.jpg

post-3071-1223037322.jpg

Lots of stuff still needing attention, so on to phase 2...

Thanks for looking!

Kev

Just quick status update. The fill/sand cycle is up to about phase 4 or 5 now, and I'm nearing the end. I've got the outer wing panels on now though, and their joins will need some work:

post-3071-1223158685.jpg

I've started trying to improve the kit wheels too:

post-3071-1223158670.jpg

I've replaced the raised detail with the correct drilled holes, and have added new hubs. I'll have to start working on the tail booms next.

Kev

Kevin,

Wow I away for a week and you've gone from the start of your cockpit to the point were you know it's a Sea Venom.Outstanding job my friend.Love those old kits.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Kevin,

Wow I away for a week and you've gone from the start of your cockpit to the point were you know it's a Sea Venom.Outstanding job my friend.Love those old kits.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Thanks for you kind words Gregory. I always appreciate your support.

I've just been fiddling at the edges of this thing lately, as work has kicked in and left me with little energy for building. I also keep starting at the Tamiya Zero box just to my left, and thinking I really should start that for the Box Stock Derby GB! Oh well...

I've managed to scratch up some BS details for the rear cockpit decking:

post-3071-1223465529.jpg

This area is crammed full o' stuff on the real deal, but I couldn't find any decent shots of the area (I was sure I had some :( ). So, I just went the ole 'creative gizmology' route. I know I'll be stoned by the rivet counters, but I still reckon it's better than leaving it bare. And I just don't care enough to wait around for decent reference material to show up for this area. :(

Tail booms next!

Kev

Kev, I think the "creative gizmology" thing works(it sure did for Shep Paine!) and it is better to add a little detail. Tell the rivet counters to pound salt; or go count the rivets on a Constellation, that should keep 'em busy for a while. After trying the Lysander, the only Matchbox kit i'll try is the Tiger Moth. I admire your fortitude in tackling this kit!

Thanks for the comments guys. I reckon if we get that LSP table for Expo organised Matty, I'll plonk this one down. It'll never make competition standard that's for sure! And my recent and seemingly ill-fated Hasegawa Emil has had an undercarriage collapse that I have to rectify somehow now, before it appears on any table. :P

Anyway, some meagre progess. The kit's representations of the tail bumpers on the booms are about right for 1/72 scale, according to the Warpaint plans, so I set about making new ones in 1/32 scale:

post-3071-1223704033.jpg

The rear one still needs some minor shaping, but should pass muster as improvements on the originals.

Kev

Just a quick update. I've spent most of my recent modelling time yet again in the fill/sand cycle, but I've finally got the entire airframe together now:

post-3071-1223897064.jpg

There are still some more gaps to deal with - the tail boom join is a bit ugly, and the wingtip tanks are a bit ordinary too. I've read that they're supposed to be quite a good fit, but mine have gaps. :wacko: I'm going to attempt to replace the kit's wing fences with aluminium ones, so a bit of work to do there too. I'll probably set it aside for a while now and turn my attention to the Zero.

Kev