Matchbox Sea Venom

LSP_Kevin

I've tried a little PVA on a couple of edges and it works a treat. I've found the left-over ridges will just rub off with a dry finger later! I wonder if it would be any good for masking chipped areas, i.e. a bit stronger than the normal latex stuff?

That's why I recommended smoothing it with a moist cotton bud Dave. Also, the tiny little ridges that may get left behind unnoticed after swabbing are actually sandable. You'll notice a tiny little sanding spot directly in front of the windscreen where I did this. Sure, large lumps are not amendable to sanding, but small ridges are, which is all you should be left with using this technique anyway. It's not a panacea for filling and sanding woes, but a useful tool in the gap-filling armoury nonetheless.

Kev

absolutely---- i only made the point to forewarn anyone who hasn't used it before.

cheers,

dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've finally got some paint on the thing, but am going through my usual dramas. Allowing me to use an airbrush is like giving a machine gun to a baboon. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I read with some interest a post on HyperScale by Rafe Morrisey a few weeks back, about how to create realistic finishes for model aircraft. I'm sure some of you have read it too. Intrigued, inspired and I must say, impressed, I thought I might give his methods a try on this old bird.

post-3071-1238733921.jpg

The first step is to undercoat the entire model with flat black (I'm using NATO Black here), and this is where I went wrong. The paint went on too dry and became chalky, almost powdery in places. I failed to notice this before applying the under surface colour, so even after a rub down and a minor respray, the finish is awful. A few coats of clear gloss and some weathering should make it adequate as a shelf-sitter though. I've given the top surfaces a much more thorough rub down to help smooth it out.

Next step is to mask and then spray the EDSG top colour. The idea with the flat black undercoat is that you make the top coat quite patchy, varying its coverage and intensity to break up the monotony. You don't want the black showing through directly, but rather, subtly affecting the top colour to provide variation. Think of it more like random preshading. There's more to Rafe's approach than that, so I'll see how it pans out in the end.

EDIT

Oh, does anyone have the original Matchbox painting and decalling instructions? The option I'm building doesn't feature in the new Revell releases, and I had to throw out the ones that came with my kit. I'm just not sure about placement for some of the smaller decals, but most especially, the tip tank chequers. A scan would be most appreciated!

Kev

Oh, does anyone have the original Matchbox painting and decalling instructions? The option I'm building doesn't feature in the new Revell releases, and I had to throw out the ones that came with my kit. I'm just not sure about placement for some of the smaller decals, but most especially, the tip tank chequers. A scan would be most appreciated!

Kev

I think I can help, have a trashed one I'm going to modify beyond recognition. It's the original release with a colour plan.

I think I can help, have a trashed one I'm going to modify beyond recognition. It's the original release with a colour plan.

Ah, that would be great Keith! If you've got it, and can scan it, let me know via PM. I'm up to my armpits in masking tape right now...

:rolleyes:

Kev

OK, time for another update. I'm hoping to finish this off over the Easter weekend, so some progress is in order. Painting is complete, other than some minor touch-ups, and the undercarriage is on. I've yet to add the gear doors, but she's otherwise ready for gloss coating. Oh, I mustn't forget to paint the tip tanks!

Here's a quick tip for masking large areas quickly, cheaply and painlessly:

post-3071-1239193544.jpg

The photo should speak for itself. It's a great technique for anyone as ham-fisted with an airbrush as I am.

Gear doors, painted, washed and awaiting fitment:

post-3071-1239193672.jpg

And here's how the model looks at the moment:

post-3071-1239193705.jpg

I tried really hard with the upper surface to produce a subtly variable finish, using a multi-stage post-shading approach for the first time. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, though I'm not sure if you can really see the effect properly in the photo. I'll certainly be using this approach again, as it seems especially effective on darker, monotone surfaces.

Thanks to Keith (Allok) for the markings guide too. Now I just hope the kit stickers don't let me down!

Kev

Attaboy, Kevin!!!! I've got to admire the tenacity you show in always sticking with your builds and getting them done. :) I can remember when you showed us the moldy box, and buck-shotted directions when you brought this home. Cool! That paint-job is outstanding! He he, you never cease to amaze me my friend. Can't wait to see it with some 'red roos' on it.

This kit, and your rebuilding of the Revell Zero have inspired me to do something along the same lines. I got a couple of forlorn Revell P-40E kits (directions are yellowed, but I think say 1967) that I want to revamp into Aussie P-40N's. I understand why you do this now,...lot's and lot's of fun! I opened the boxes, and I was 12 years old again. Ahhh, the way it was. (cept this time, I might not get glue on the canopies? :huh: he he!)

Bring this one on home, Kevin. Can't wait to see it with some markings!

This is starting to look very good indeed. Well done so far, Kev.

Great idea with the plastic bag, mine only go in one of those after I've given up :huh:

I could probably help out with decals if your ones don't work.