Matchbox Sea Venom

LSP_Kevin

• 3 months later...

Well, where did that 3 months go? :)

Finally though, a return. I've only been tinkering with it really, trying to get the seats done so I can finish off the cockpit, get all the glass masked and installed, and then start painting! I doubt I'll get this one done by the deadline (for a second time :huh: ), but I'll give it a shot.

I decided for sake of expedience to just use the seats as-is. I boxed in the rear of the headrests and added the ejection pull-ring thingies:

post-3071-1236077396.jpg

They're not great at all, but with no aftermarket alternatives that I'm aware of it, it's tart 'em up or scratch-build replacements.

More soon.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, some more progress on this old bird. With time about to be called on this GB, I'll be moving this build over to the Member Builds forum soon, but I thought I'd post one last update here.

post-3071-1237095156.jpg

As you can see, I've fitted the canopy, and blending it in will be one of the last tasks before the painting stage. Woohoo! It's tacked down with CA gel, and I've starting the fill-and-blend procedure using standard PVA. It'll fill the gaps nicely and create a decent bond, but will smooth out with a damp cotton bud for the perfect no-sand fill job.

My masking looks really dodgy, so I'm prepared for some touch-ups when the time comes. I also masked the inside of this sucker and painted it black (which is why it looks black :) ). I'm going to experiment with applying the white strip around the canopy edges with a white gel pen.

See you on the other side!

Kev

Hey Kev!, Ya got further along than my 3 unfinished failures in this unfinished GB. ;) Where did I go wrong? :huh:

So, this is moving over to the members build? Cool, I want to see this Aussie bird going together eventually. Those markings are gonna look great.

What's PVA? Sounds like some kind of....PUTTY. :) Smooths with water? hmmmm. Interesting.

What's PVA? Sounds like some kind of....PUTTY. :) Smooths with water? hmmmm. Interesting.

Sorry for the confusion Russ - it's just standard white glue, you know, the woodworking stuff. PolyVinylsomethingorother. I use it all the time for blending canopies and it works really well in that regard. I often attach them with it too if there's no stress on the parts. It dries clear, so even if you get some where you didn't want it (like on the inside :angry: ), it's not a big deal.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Your Sea Venom is progressing nicely.

I'll follow your build in the Member Builds forum - and eventually finish mine as well ;) .

Actually, I had some progress. I used PVA to blend in the tip tanks (yes, Russ, its very handy and versatile stuff! :lol: ).

Glad, you noted the tail bumpers. I'll have to fix mine as well.

Anyway, I'm afraid my Jet Ranger will have to be moved over to the Member builds forum as well.

Progress on this one was slow too :) .

Cheers,

Peter

Ah, looks like I moved this one out of the GB too early! :blink: Oh well, it's unlikely to make even the extended deadline, so I'll leave it here I reckon.

I've been pottering away on it over the last week or so. She's had a full coat of primer, and I've been attending to the flaws it revealed:

post-3071-1237807230.jpg

The tail boom joins are particularly problematic, so I'm giving them a few more go rounds with Mr Surfacer. Still a way to go unfortunately!

Kev

Looking sweet, these tail booms are a real pain. I remember seeing a photo where a Sea Venom is lifted by some shackles set into the booms but I don't remember seing anything engraved on the model when I made mine.

I like the idea of using PVA for smoothing, I might nick that idea for my Meteor build :blink:

Looking sweet, these tail booms are a real pain. I remember seeing a photo where a Sea Venom is lifted by some shackles set into the booms but I don't remember seing anything engraved on the model when I made mine.

I like the idea of using PVA for smoothing, I might nick that idea for my Meteor build :)

as long as you remember that you can't sand it---it has a 'rubbery' set that gives---so you sand the surrounding plastic---or wood, as it's used in the flying model world (i used it exclusively for just about everything except firewalls/engine bearers/undercarts). ----in other words, get it right with a wet finger first time.

just an obs. from one who has suffered with this in the past.

dave.

as long as you remember that you can't sand it

That's why I recommended smoothing it with a moist cotton bud Dave. Also, the tiny little ridges that may get left behind unnoticed after swabbing are actually sandable. You'll notice a tiny little sanding spot directly in front of the windscreen where I did this. Sure, large lumps are not amendable to sanding, but small ridges are, which is all you should be left with using this technique anyway. It's not a panacea for filling and sanding woes, but a useful tool in the gap-filling armoury nonetheless.

Kev

Hi, good reading, I've been planning one of these for a while but, due to family issues, I've not glued anything together for 9 months.

This could be just the thing to 'start me up again'.

Keep posting, I'm looking forward to the finnished model.

Steve