Revell Zero Rebuild

LSP_Kevin

Well, to dip my toe in the water with the salt technique, I decided to start with the cowling and (ab)use it for experimental purposes. For those of you not familiar with this technique, the basic idea is to undercoat in silver, wet the painted surface, and then sprinkle ordinary table salt randomly over the wet surface. Once this is dry, apply the camo coat, allow to dry and then scrub away the salt, leaving random paint chips and peeling. Here's the process in pictures as it applied to my cowling:

post-3071-1255856832.jpg

post-3071-1255856845.jpg

post-3071-1255856858.jpg

In the last photo I've added extra chips and nicks with a silver pencil, and dinged up the cowl flaps too. It's certainly come out randomly enough, but I can't help thinking it's also a little arbitrary, and perhaps overdone. So, what's the verdict folks? Too much?

Kev

I think that looks amazing Kev and i'll be trying that on my next build :clap2:

Have you tried using a pin or scalpel blade to create very thin scratches, i.e. just taking some topcoat off and leaving the silver showing?

Looking good Kev!
The hard part is to get the wear on the "right" spots! What or wherever "right" is!?
On my Zero I used vaseline, with simular result! The big difference is that salt is a bit more random.
I think I would have done more wear on the front of the cowl, but that's me, cause it's there I imagine the most wear to appear!

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I'll leave it as is then. I'll have to be a bit more sparing on the rest of the airframe though, I think.

Have you tried using a pin or scalpel blade to create very thin scratches, i.e. just taking some topcoat off and leaving the silver showing?

Yep, I added a few of those, especially around the panel lines. Very hard to control though, and make it look natural. I generally have more luck with the silver pencil, ironically. I'll experiment a bit more with the rest of the plane.

I think I would have done more wear on the front of the cowl, but that's me, cause it's there I imagine the most wear to appear!

Yeah, I did try for that, but I couldn't get the salt to stick! Next time I'll try adding a bit of dish soap to the water to break the surface tension, and hopefully stop it beading so much on the shiny silver surface. I couldn't get the front curves of the cowling to stay wet and hold the salt.

Kev

What is it that your not happy with in regards to the cowel flaps? They look perfectly fine to me?

Here's the problem, taken from an angle that actually reveals it:

post-3071-1255894725.jpg

It's the same on the other side. I'll have to live with it at this stage, and hope it doesn't detract too much from the finished model.

Kev