I just read this: German RLM nomenclature moved formally from Bf to Me between the Bf162 (that stayed a prototype) and the Me163, the 162 number being later re-allocated to Heinkel (He162). Note there was also a Bf163 prototype.  The Me155 is not an exception as it never was, having been already changed into a Blohm & Voss project. And here comes the eternal question about the Bf109 as we have the Bf109K but the Me109H. Actually, this is simple, all operational variants below 162 stayed Bf, including later versions like the Kurfurst. All Messerschmitt types from 163 were 'Me'. This explains why you never saw a Bf262! Source: German secret flight test centres to 1945.

Thanks Jean-Michel. I knew that video. Actually what I quoted was the official view of the RLM (according to the authors). So, it was not the practical one used within the Luftwaffe or the newspapers or the one obviously fostered by Willy Messerschmitt. By the way he would have been the last people I would have contacted to get the final point as in that case ego is clearly leading the view! Actually that issue is quite common! Is the F-16 a General Dynamics Fighting Falcon or a Lockheed Martin Viper...? :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Is the F-16 a General Dynamics Fighting Falcon or a Lockheed Martin Viper...? :rolleyes:

For myself, it comes down to who did the majority of the original design and production. While Boeing can (and does) slap their name on everything, the F/A-18 Hornet is and will always be a McDonnell Douglas product to me.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

For myself, it comes down to who did the majority of the original design and production. While Boeing can (and does) slap their name on everything, the F/A-18 Hornet is and will always be a McDonnell Douglas product to me.

F-15 Eagle too. ;)

Oh, @thierry laurent Me for me 

Edited by geedubelyer