HELLDIVER!

big matt

Call me crazy. I thought that I wanted a challenge. The real ones to blame are Tomek and Alfonso. Tomek is a real bad influence and Alfonso is the little devil on my shoulder telling me to do terrible things. I figure that by the time I skin this thing and paint it we'll be up to 1/32.

A little bird sent me this kit in the mail, thanks buddy. You know what they say about payback!

1533d041.jpg

Here's a glimpse of what's inside

50d6e3e0.jpg

386f1ad1.jpg

748c0c6e.jpg

This is what I am starting out on

904314a0.jpg

This page contains the wing sections and is where the manufacturer suggests I start. First I transferred all the pieces to vellum and cut them out and glued them to a sheet of 1mm plastic.

0c5ca6e2.jpg

This is what it should look like when assembled.

1f0ad06c.jpg

The level of detail on this kit is amazing. I will try my best and hope I don't end up with an epic fail!

Just couldn't leave well enough alone as the Skyhawk was too easy. The Hellcat is still in process and I have a totally different project devouring space on my bench as well. Busy times for big matt.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers

This sounds really cool...but also quite the undertaking. For sure I'll watch and egg...ER mean help you along.....Harv :popcorn:

And tell your BUDDY Alfonzo, he better get a hold of me........

Call me crazy.

You're crazy! :wacko:

Don't you have enough on your bench already?

But I figure, you have the skills and right modeling approach to pull it off. It's very exciting, and I'll be following with keen interest this example of cross-fertilization (thank you Hubert for coining this term :D ). I told you guys I'm dangerous to be around :evil_laugh:

I'll be rooting for you!!!

No folded wings? Just kidding, lets don't complicate this difficult build even more...

What KOTR said - will be watching this one - I have several similar kits that I've acquired with the idea of *maybe* converting to plastic at some point - including the 1:33 Vulcan.

Maybe when I retire!

Iain

Thanks for the support guys! I am quite sure I will need it.

Cutting and tracing and drawing is all that I am doing right now. My work bench is covered with scraps of vellum and my fingers are stuck together with spray adhesive, AWESOME!!!

I have my eye on a few other paper conversions as well, that is if I can pull this one off. I will be counting on some help for sure so don't be shy!

Harv, I told him, he is having some computer troubles right now.

Cheers from your paper cutting foole, Matt!!!

Looks nice! Parts count is impressive too.

I see there are some more fellows thinking about to build or "plastinate" paper kits. Have the same idea about one or two certain paper kits... Especially since I can get M-11 engines for cheap (via Trumpeters Aerosan).

May I suggest a "paper to plasic" groupbuild for the near future?

Regards!

- dutik

:popcorn:

I shall be watching this one with interest Matt. The Curtiss Helldiver is one of those USN carrier aircraft that appeals to me greatly, and I would be very happy to scratch build one of these as well - if I had enough reference for the thing! Good luck with your build Matt, it will undoubtably be very instructive to say the least.

Best regards

Derek

What an ambitious, and enviable, project. Structure and all! Seeing that airplane brings back fond memories of way back in the day when I built the Monogram kit Looking forward to following along, Matt.

Sincerely,

Mark

My workshop is a big mess.

I thought I would do a kind of step by step. I don't know what I am doing so maybe this will help.

Since I had all the main wing pieces traced and stuck to the 1mm plastic sheet it was time for some cutting. I fired up the trusty scroll saw and proceeded to make a mess of things.

e6bf90ce.jpg

After cutting the rough shapes I slid on over to my ancient stationary belt sander to get the shapes a bit closer. No action shots as the wife was not home to help with the photography!

e14e07d6.jpg

Here is where the action is.

ac6d63f1.jpg

After burning my fingers on melted plastic, until I figured out how not to do that... :BANGHEAD2: , I ended up with a bunch of shapes closer to what I needed.

7fa71a2e.jpg

Two hours and a few choice words later I had a grand total of 7 usable parts! Only 600 or so to go.

161f266d.jpg

I am glad there is some interest in the big beast as I am sure I will need a bit of encouragement to get through this project.

Til next time then.