Mistel 2

JamesHatch

Hi guys,

Despite the fact that I'll be doing this for publication, I thought I'd create a build of this here on LSP.

Please excuse the following 3 pictures in their quality as I did them this evening without any prep.

The model comprises the Revell Ju 88A-1 which will be converted to the G-1 version, and atop will sit the new tool Hasegawa Fw 190F-8.

With the Ju 88, I have so far removed the entire nose section, and just for fun, assembled it to sit alongside the conversion, just to show what I have sacrificed! :D The Mistel 2 warhead actually fits very well to the Revell kit, with just a few tweaks needed to fair everything in, such as wing root filleting. I have also removed the vertical tail tabs so you can see just how much bigger the G-1 vertical tail is to the A-1 variant.

Once I have pinned and glued the warhead and vertical tail fin, and filled where necessary, I will prime the fuse assembly and flush rivet everything before I add further detail. I want the warhead etc to appear to be one homogeneous item when completed. In all, the AIMS set is pretty damn good. I have already removed the casting blocks from the engine parts and poppped everything in the ultrasonic bath to remove any mould release agent. So far, so good.

I have a degree of initial construction to complete before I refer to the book I ordered; Mistel by John Forsyth. This is a pretty exciting project for me. I don't think the missus is impressed though!! ;)

DSC02164.jpg

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02167.jpg

Jim

Very cool. I picked one up also and I'm itching to start. Too many things on the go at the moment though. Actually your not helping as seeing this makes me really want to get moving.

James

Wow, Jim, you really started a BIG conversion job! And this very first pics look definitivly promising and are a evidence of Pastor John´s capability doing first class stuff and you getting most out of it!

I am afraid i won´t get done such a big project without my doctor inventing some weird life-prolonging measures, so i will follow you on this with interest! Rock on, Jim!

@ John:

How about this new pictures on the Ju 188? :coolio:

Thomas

Hi guys,

This will be going to Air Modeller if it's good enough. I've removed the casting blocks from the BMW engines and the wing - engine mounting blocks. The rear of the engines need to be carefully hollowed/recessed as it fits over and encompasses the mounting block.

This will be a seriously heavy model, so I'll be removing the stiffening fins from the interior of the u/c leg and fitting steel pins in there.

I'm also informed that the Ju 88 wheels were seriously over-inflated to cope with the weight of the Fw 190 sat atop. I may need to do something with the kit wheels yet ;)

I'm also informed that the Ju 88 wheels were seriously over-inflated to cope with the weight of the Fw 190 sat atop. I may need to do something with the kit wheels yet ;)

Hi Jim, Do you have my smooth tread weighted tyres for G-1/G-6? If not I could send you some, they look a little bigger just because of the work already done to them but if you masked off the hubs and sprayed filler primer over them you will gain another couple of microns for sure. Have a good look at the Forsyth book when it comes - I do not see any difference myself.

Best wishes

John

Edited by LSP_Kevin
Fixed quoting issues

Hi guys,

This will be going to Air Modeller if it's good enough.

This will be a seriously heavy model, so I'll be removing the stiffening fins from the interior of the u/c leg and fitting steel pins in there.

wey-hey!!!!

re Air Modeller: playing with the big boys now is see Jim!! popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

also, why no metal u/c legs from SAC if it is mega heavy? was it different for a G from an A?

yours, munching all the popcorn his emoticons can handle,

Nick