Tamiya Spitfire Mk XVIe, Steps 47-51. Engine, firewall and frame.

I've never sprayed the Tamiya over an acrylic paint, been curious but never had the opportunity to experiment. Hopefully someone can chime in with a BTDT. I do know acrylics are easier to strip than Tamiya laquer....Are you going to spray from the can or decant to airbrush?

Don

Guest Peterpools

Just spray on a few light, thin coast and let it dry. The last coat needs to be a bit heavy and wet for the paint to lay down and be super smooth.

Peter

{~snip~}....Are you going to spray from the can or decant to airbrush?

Don

Hi Don, I think I'll give it a go straight from the can. I used the Tamiya AS-10 Ocean grey on an F-15E a while ago straight from the can and it laid down beautifully so I've got my fingers crossed that the formula is still the same.

Hi Shawn, glad to hear things went ok. It gives me a bit more confidence to go straight over the existing paint.

{~snip~}  So the Spit you're modelling, did it have a painted silver finish or was it natural metal do you know?

Max

Hi Max, that's a good question. The short answer is, I don't actually know. I'm following the Tamiya instructions plus using some info that Edgar shared in the past regarding Spit colour schemes. From what I gather, the RAF began painting their trainer aircraft in high speed silver shortly after the war.

Do you have any info that might mean this airframe (or aircraft in this time frame) could have been plain bare metal?

Good choice on the AS-12, Guy. It's my go-to paint for this kind of application, and I used it on my own Meteor build. It's not particularly hot, so I reckon you'll be OK.

Kev

Thanks Kev, that's good to know. I'll add a link to your Meteor in my earlier post as I remember how good your's looked and it makes another superb example of how good AS-12 looks.

Hi Peter, thanks for the tips. I'll try to do what you suggest but I seem to remember that the paint comes out pretty quickly straight from the can? 

I think I'll spray the underside first as practice before I commit to the more clearly seen upper surfaces.

I'm on a late start to day so I'm off to the spray booth. Wish me luck.

Cheers.

Good luck!

:D

Thanks Richard.

I tried to add an update earlier but PB, the forums and my pc were all on strike.

Well, I managed to get the airframe sprayed.

tn_Tamiya%20HSS%20AS-12_zpsdr8qckzx.jpg

No dramas after all. It settled nicely straight out of the can. PB is still playing up. I took a couple of other shots but I cannot upload them at the moment. Hopefully you can see how it turned out. The colour looks a bit blue in the image but is significantly better to the naked eyes. Probably something to do with picking up the background colour.

tn_Tamiya%20HSS%20AS-12%203_zpswftqjxpd.

I tried to use a wash on the elevators and rudder but it came out a trifle sudden for my liking. I'll sleep on it and decide what to do about it tomorrow.

Now we can move on. Undercarriage next I think.

Thanks for the input and advice all, very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer