Photo

Cessna O-2A `Jade 07' Vac forming a new window.

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 Maxim

Maxim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:22 PM

Hi Eric, have you ever tried GRS-Thermo- Loc Sticks? They are used in the jewellery trade to hold rings etc while you work on them. The product is also good for molding shapes etc and you can vac over them. The sticks become pliable in hot water and set up at room temperature. You can use them over and over. Just thinking you could have used this stuff to push through the window opening and then trim to shape and use it as a mold. I have used them for years in the ship modelling to make multiple shapes. Just remember to pop it in the freezer before you vac form over it.

https://www.ebay.com...XfJbCL7nC70PH0Q

Cheers

Now that the opening had been modified, I needed to work out how I was going to make up a new clear part to fit it. I am yet to work out exactly how I will do it, but I have started the process.

I carved a block of balsa to fit the new opening. The majority of the window is flat, so it wont be too much of a problem. It is the compound curve of the upper surface that will be. This will allow me to hopefully plunge mould a new window. Failing that, I will buy a vac form machine. I selected the end grain to carve, and have wicked thin superglue over the surface, filling the grain and allowing me to sand and polish it to a very smooth and hard surface.

• rafju and Uilleann like this

#77 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

I ended up constructing a Vac form machine. It was very easy to do and cost very little as well. I was initially looking at buying a dental type machine, easily sourced on Ebay etc but felt that it may have been a bit small for future projects. I went to the local hardware store and purchased all of the required materials and built it myself. The good thing is that I can now apply my knowledge learnt from this project into larger machines as required.
I used pine for the sides and MDF for the top and bottom. Glued together with liquid nails for the seal and screwed together for strength. I drew a grid on the top surface and hand drilled the holes and then made a 32mm hole in one side to allow for the vacuum nozzle to fit into it.

The master is blu-tacked onto the top. The small slide on the vacuum nozzle allows me to back off the vacuum pressure as required.

CD441621-CC8C-4081-BF83-8489579F1051-X3.

A $60 toaster oven with variable heat and a timer completed the set up.

FD875CF1-42EB-4AFC-9BD9-D131E5E81D69-X3.

I initially tried a double sided frame made from Aluminium L bar but found it was a little big and I was using plastic up at a great rate, so made up a smaller one sided frame and just clipped the plastic onto it rather than sandwiching it between two frames.
Once the plastic is bowing down in the oven, I pulled out the frame and placed it upon the box, notice that my placement is far from square! Also notice that the master is a bit different from the one on my previous post a week ago. I was sent some Ureol modelling board from a mate of mine (actually the son of the subject pilot of my O-1 Bird Dog build) and I decided to re-make it in that. Great stuff and much better than balsa wood.

DC659C78-EC7C-4618-9502-0AB4D7A0F39D-X3.

The new window trimmed:

BBA2144A-3238-4609-AD4C-51EDEF76E6B6-X3.

And fitted:

1F3C621A-31C0-47AF-A87F-B523E1ED518F-X3.

514EDAC1-8A0A-446F-A49A-5B5FEEAB00DF-X3.

Much work went into producing that one window but I learnt alot from it! In the words of Borat, `Great Success!'

maxresdefault-X2.jpg

Edited by ericg, 09 February 2018 - 11:35 AM.

• rafju, Kagemusha, scvrobeson and 10 others like this

Check out and like my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/manscale/

#78 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hi Eric, have you ever tried GRS-Thermo- Loc Sticks? They are used in the jewellery trade to hold rings etc while you work on them. The product is also good for molding shapes etc and you can vac over them. The sticks become pliable in hot water and set up at room temperature. You can use them over and over. Just thinking you could have used this stuff to push through the window opening and then trim to shape and use it as a mold. I have used them for years in the ship modelling to make multiple shapes. Just remember to pop it in the freezer before you vac form over it.

https://www.ebay.com...XfJbCL7nC70PH0Q

Cheers

I hadn't thought of using that but it looks like a good product.

#79 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

As usual, great work. Would you consider perhaps selling a new window to us less talented modelers?

Chuck

#80 alaninaustria

alaninaustria

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Great stuff mate!
Cheers
Alan

#81 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Eric
Very nicely done: from building your vac machine to crafting the new part.
Keep ‘em coming
Peter

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#82 Maxim

Maxim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:36 PM

Great work and excellent result.

#83 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 21,551 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

Nice! 

#84 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 40,386 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

That's just brilliant, mate! I've had a Mattel vac machine for several years now, but never found the time to use it.

Kev

#85 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Thanks guys.

As usual, great work. Would you consider perhaps selling a new window to us less talented modelers?
Chuck

Hi Chuck, saw your question on my Facebook page as well. Not sure if I will put these into production or not. Maybe if I had 10 or so orders I might but I don’t get a huge amount of time to do my own modelling at the moment.

Eric.

#86 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:04 PM

Onto the instrument panel. David sent me a pic that he took of his panel. Bearing in mind that the aircraft was only a year or so old, there is plenty of dirt and grime that has accumulated.

cockpit-X2.jpg

The Roden instrument panel is OK, but there is some missing detail of some important features that I felt needed to be improved. Notice the lack of gear and flap selector, and the totally woeful depiction of the throttle quadrant.

IMG_1108-X3.jpg

I needed to scratch build some detail to do it justice.

First up, I chiseled out the stubs representing the Throttle, pitch and mixture levers.

IMG_1115-X3.jpg

I then Scribed 6 lines as closely as I could into a thin section of plastic card, which would then become the slots in which some new levers would be inserted.

IMG_1110-X3.jpg

I made up some new knobs from plastic card and mounted these on some levers that I cut from a piece of scrap photo etch sheet. The panel will be fairly visible through the open door, so I think this detail is quite important.

IMG_1363-X3.jpg

IMG_1365-X3.jpg
  • johncrow, MostlyRacers, Out2gtcha and 7 others like this

#87 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

Nicely done, Eric.

'and just clipped the plastic onto it '

Do you have a manufacturers' name for the plastic?  Or can you tell me the type and depth of the plastic you used?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

#88 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

Thanks guys.

Hi Chuck, saw your question on my Facebook page as well. Not sure if I will put these into production or not. Maybe if I had 10 or so orders I might but I don’t get a huge amount of time to do my own modelling at the moment.

Eric.

I'd buy a set, so that's two so far...

Great thread, needless to say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users