Aerotech DH-88 Comet . Finished.

ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

OUTSTANDING, simply a  magnificent finish. I'm a spit and polish guy and what a fantastic finish.

Thank you for the information and heads up warning on using Tamiya TS13

Keep 'em coming

Peter

The shine is outstanding !

Eric, is the Tamiya clear spraycan risky for other tamiya spraycan paints?

And did you use the WNW black line decals for every panel lines ?

Edited by Zero77

Wow, simply amazing.  You true modelers never fail to astound me.

My brain is in constant overload on this site at how much info is related.

In your opinion is that Formula '56 a good candidate for the adhesive of choice with something like the Phantom Mustang clear fuselage assembly???

Hi Zero,

I stripped the black decal off and used a lead pencil on most of the panel lines instead.

Xmh53wrench, I only use the Formula 560 for non structural components, as it remains fairly flexible and is water soluble.

Eric.

I decided to re-do the canopy frame, as the original one that I made wasn't strong enough, and an eagle eyed reader spotted an error that I was keen to fix. I wanted to re-visit the idea of using the kit vac-formed clear part as they are super thin and pretty clear. I had to work a little harder to get this frame to better match the kit canopy though and in the process I made the frame a lot stronger than my original by making a couple of the parts of the frame one piece instead of multiple.

67D5782B-65AB-4AF9-ACCF-EB935F0E6A24_zps

7ABF2503-DF67-43A9-AC0A-DAE921FCEE8D_zps

Another feature of the real aircraft that I wanted to depict were the two small sliding windows either side of the canopy. Most of the pics that I have shows one or both slid open and I wanted to have both open, regardless of the difficulty of doing so. Working on the very thin vac formed clear part proved very tricky and knowing that I had a spare certainly helped but I wanted to avoid putting myself into a situation were the spare needed to be used. Here is where I am at with it and I just need to scratch build the windows and slides.

Masking off the opening.

30DCDF7F-6F4A-4B77-A290-73C8FC2508AE_zps

I used some clay behind the opening to support the part as I was drilling and cutting it.

07DBDA54-3212-4996-B1B4-8BF22A302E77_zps

I filed the opening until I was happy with it and completed both sides.

FD8ECA9A-2788-42AB-B7C0-7281D1E422F2_zps

0D8671CB-35DA-42B2-8D7A-0EB48FC3A633_zps

1E0D8DD2-9F64-4C25-BF37-21F2AD4A8CD1_zps

In the following picture there is a Sutton harness has been flung out of the side of the cockpit and wanted to depict that on the model.

FA_10958s_zps7e984555.jpg

58FA04C9-5131-497B-A9A8-3683DE554294_zps

Edited by ericg

Neat work Eric. The sliding window might have been a bit of extra work but it's a nice touch and will add more life to the subject.

The Mk.II framework looks superb but must have taken alot of work. I think it was well worth the effort.

Any plans to apply framing to the exterior of the kit glazing? Possibly strips of painted decal paper or similar?

I like the idea of the harnesses draped casually over the fuselage sides. Another little touch that adds visual sparkle.

This is just beautiful mate. Great job. Nearly at the post now so keep it up. I'm eager to see her all finished up.

Cheers.