HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

It is amazing how with the long intervals you have between working on her, you pick up without missing a beat.

I'd be doing a lot of "now what was I going to do here?"

Your planning (and talent!) has worked out really well. With the various parts coming together, there is some precision fitting falling together. No guessing --- you definitely know what your doing!

When you finally "button up" the rear fuselage, it will be somewhat of a shame considering all the detail and work you've put in. On the other hand, it will be worth it when no matter what angle you peer into the main entry hatch or waist gun positions they'll be nothing but detail-detail-detail!

When you first started this "D" project, did you ever expect to get into it as deeply as you have? I for one am glad you did!

Terry

Wow. Looking great.  It's hard to  define where one should go to detail our LSPs but you are exploring some rare territory here. Bravo

Indeed Jim. It's definitely unchartered for me! The great thing about modelling as I see it is that it's up to the modeller to decide how far to go with their build. No two models are ever alike! :)

Craig,

It is amazing how with the long intervals you have between working on her, you pick up without missing a beat.

I'd be doing a lot of "now what was I going to do here?"

Your planning (and talent!) has worked out really well. With the various parts coming together, there is some precision fitting falling together. No guessing --- you definitely know what your doing!

When you finally "button up" the rear fuselage, it will be somewhat of a shame considering all the detail and work you've put in. On the other hand, it will be worth it when no matter what angle you peer into the main entry hatch or waist gun positions they'll be nothing but detail-detail-detail!

When you first started this "D" project, did you ever expect to get into it as deeply as you have? I for one am glad you did!

Terry

Always a pleasure to read your comments Terry! Yep, certainly did not even consider ANY of this when I first started, this has definitely been a "choose your own adventure!" Having known that at the start, would I have done anything differently? Sure, but I reckon I'd still be about the same stage as I am right now :)

Funny you should mention the above about bouncing right back into it, because, as you'll see below, it doesn't always go so smoothly.........

I was able to put in more or less a solid day's work over the course of the weekend on adding the many ribs to the left side. This is an extremely time consuming process, but I don't mind, as it really enhances the effect overall in my opinion. All the pen marks indicate where I still need to add ribs, so I'm about half done.......

LJqWdyv.jpg

Going along though, it suddenly hit me that I'd completely forgotten about the viewing window opposite the entry door on the left side. If ever there was a need for a face palm, it was now. Especially as I'd just put a whole heap of ribs in the area. :doh:

Nothing for it, the window had to be there, so I carefully marked out the approximate area and got down to business. 

P3XqaDh.jpg

Once I got through the printed material, I then very gingerly poked a hole into roughly each corner, hopefully not destroying anything on the inside....

fNXbbcI.jpg

I then slowly worked away inside and out till I was close to the outline. It still has a way to go, but it's best to err on the side of caution for now and open it up properly later...

WyzoO7s.jpg

lorY2Yi.jpg

This will do for now. I think I might investigate the concept of a 3D printed form tool, over which I can shape the window reinforcing structure. If I do this right, I'll be able to use it for the nose windows too. Should be fun!

Cheers,

Craig

That is just stunning. Is the kit really "unbuildable" OOB as I have read on so many forums?

Hahaha! Absolutely not mate! As Tom Probert said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with building the kit OOB. I went down this road because I wanted to do something different and to challenge myself. I have two more E/F kits in the stash and won't got to the same level I've gone here..... they will be much more OOB.

Don't be swayed by a lot of what you read here. As Tom said, shorten the U/C legs and you're in business!

Please post progress of your build..... nowhere near enough of these getting built.

Good luck!

Craig

Craig,

DAMN!

In my 9-14 post I was going to give you one of my infamous "don't forget abouts", concerning the left hand window, but it slipped my mind!

You recovered from it nicely, though.

By the way, did you get to view the E in Hawaii and D & F in Dayton?

Terry

Amazing work Craig. Not the version you are doing but i think the interior is pretty much the same, the waist gunners area with the tail wheel structure at the back:

also note the control cables on top. The radio compartment:

Jari

By the way, did you get to view the E in Hawaii and D & F in Dayton?

I got to Swamp Ghost, but ran out of time for Dayton this trip....

hRaVjiB.jpg

Unfortunately, this was as close as it could get, as they had it in one corner of the hangar and fairly well roped off. Still, amazing to see for real something I'd read about for years and years.

DAMN!

In my 9-14 post I was going to give you one of my infamous "don't forget abouts", concerning the left hand window, but it slipped my mind!

You recovered from it nicely, though.

Hahaha, yeah my bad... I knew you'd be onto it though :) It certainly won't be the last time that happens in this build, but I always appreciate the quality control and progress check feedback!

Amazing work Craig. Not the version you are doing but i think the interior is pretty much the same, the waist gunners area with the tail wheel structure at the back:

Thanks Jari! The construction style between the models is similar, but there are several key differences between the earlier and later forts. I appreciate the photo posts though, anything like this is always worth its weight in gold. If not for this build, for the next one :)

Do you have any markings picked out for your superb build in mind here? Just curious. Loving all the updates. 

Hi Troy. Thanks so much for looking in on the build. My intent is to depict it more or less as "ole betsy" sometime around December 41. Information is pretty scarce on those chaotic days, so it will probably end up being a fictional representation, rather than an actual aircraft. It will be a natural metal finish though, so I still have quite a way to go yet! :)

Craig, can't tell you how much I enjoy watching your work. Balls of steel to even try the ribs - let alone cut through them like you did!!! Amazing work. 

Hi Jim! Can say exactly the same for your Hornet build and your battles with the gloss finish :) As for the corrective action on the fuselage, well that's a fairly big error, so it was pretty much as case of suck it up, it has to be done! Hopefully it won't have cost me too much on the overall look. Time will tell.

Thanks as always for your support and encouragement with this build guys, it means a lot and it does spur me on to do the best job I know how :)

Cheers,

Craig