Hawker Hurribomber 175 Squadron 1942

Here is Derek Stevenson's Hurribomber (IIB) which in the summer of 1942 was based at Warmwell, near the south coast of Dorset.  

mRnQnZ.jpg

MvC8Y1.jpg

yUDBTW.jpg

4uFml7.jpg

TU7AL1.jpg

bgRbqb.jpg

XTExu7.jpg

The props/spinner are by AIMS, the fishtail exhausts by Grey Matters, the parachute by True Details, the wheels by CMK, the outer Browning machine guns by Air Master and most importantly the 250lb bombs and carriers by Tim Perry (ex Flying Start Models)....otherwise OOB!  Great kit, very easy pleasant build.

Build thread is here.

BE687 was lost during the operation code named "Jubilee" attacking the Dieppe area:

JrLWay.png

zfmvUZ.png

7B6OlF.png

Edited by mozart

On 4/14/2024 at 3:47 PM, geedubelyer said:

Lovely model Max and great pictures. :clap2::thumbsup:

Your enthusiasm for the aircraft is evident in the way you've captured the look. 

Entertaining and excellent result :bow:

Thanks Guy. I have to credit Derek Stevenson’s super book as added inspiration, he writes with such candour, clarity, even perhaps naivety about his nervousness and trepidation as a new pilot, something that you don’t often find in autobiographies about these young men who were eager to “do their bit”.

On 4/14/2024 at 8:20 PM, Shoggz said:

Looks like pictures of the real thing. No higher praise than that!

That’s always the aim when a build is started, so I’ll take that Rich….thanks a bunch! Nuff sed.

On 4/15/2024 at 9:09 AM, dennismcc said:

A fabulous build thread with lots of background to it, and a superbly finished Hurricane at the end, a really nice journey.

Cheers

Dennis

Glad you enjoyed my journey Dennis….caring and sharing eh? :D

20 hours ago, Christa said:

Good setting for great pictures of a Hurribomber that is a little weathered, but not neglected, armed and ready to go. I believe it.

The camera never lies Chris! The background is actually Compton Abbas airfield, a photograph that I took some years ago and had enlarged to A1 size as a backdrop. CA now owned by Guy Ritchie the film director who lives locally and as of last year a new operating base for AeroLegends doing Spitfire flights. Big airshow of vintage planes in August for which I have tickets! 

13 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent build, and even better display

Matt 

Thanks Matt. Just putting the model on a shelf or in a display case always seems a bit of an anticlimax afterwards, but there’s always the next one to build! 

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

That turned out 'terrifically' Max. Excellent portrayal.

Must admit I’m quietly pleased with how it all turned out Mike, just love them Hurris! 

Very nicely done Max :goodjob:  The background makes it all the better, especially as it is more or less the same area - or at least the same county :)

Thanks Mike, yes indeed but about as far north Dorset as you can go compared to Warmwell being as far south!  Same skies though.