Fiat CR42 CN M.M.7584 300a Squadriglia, 167° Gruppo Autonomo Ciampino, spring 1942. pilot Cpt Corrado Ricci

hi all,

here is my interpretation of the CR42 CN visible in a film from the time of the Luce institute, from which I started to create the beautiful ICM kit.

apart from a few implemented/scratchbuilt details, the dedicated Eduard set 32979 and the installation of some nanoleds, it's OOTB, perfect in shape and fit. predominantly MRP colours.

The forum build thread is here:

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/99468-fiat-cr42-cn-132-icm/&do=findComment&comment=1455873

cheers, Paolo

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_1624.jpeg

tempImageOhBIaC.heic

tempImageSTM9ji.heic

tempImagefY1w3w.heic

tempImageyoyHQq.heic

tempImage5rAlCK.heic

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1614.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all very much, you're very kind.

to tell the truth, I'm not very satisfied: Italian camo, especially of this type, are not at all within my reach, I always argue about them and I'm always left with the feeling of not having done everything in my ability to make them look their best.

in particular the contours of the spots on the wings: sharper they would be too clear, softer they would be a mess, so they make my eyes cross, giving me the impression of not focusing on the surfaces involved.

and, apart from the "technical" question, there is a personal aspect: my gym teacher in middle school had been a CR42 CN pilot. I learned about it by chance and decided, without much thought, to assemble the kit then available, the 1965 1/72 Revell, which - combined with my skills at the time, we're talking about 1976, I think - produced a thing that it was reminiscent of a CR42 only with a lot of good will.

the madeleine effect was nevertheless remarkable, and I don't know how happy: the teacher turned it over in his hands with a heavy expression on his face which was always severe, but apparently serene. the few things he told me, I didn't dare ask much, referred to the difficulty of operating with inadequate and ill-equipped means on nights of total darkness, when it was difficult to even understand which was up and which was down. to the explicit question of a classmate present, he replied that he had indeed shot down someone: a Blenheim. the tone in which he said it shut down any further discussion on the subject.

here, I would have liked, after almost fifty years and now without the fear of touching the feelings of others, to know more and build a model dedicated, however ideally, to this person, whose youthful commitment and sacrifice I probably glimpsed and only I remembered. I tried to trace the name and therefore at least the flight group, without success. so I reluctantly fell back on the well-documented and easy 300-7, but obviously that wasn't what I had in mind to do.