Iwo Jima VLR Mustang - Tamiya 1:48 kit

LSP_K2

Thanks to an error on my part, I inadvertently ordered the Quinta set for the Airfix kit. By using my relatively new dial calipers though, I've been able to determine that they're almost a dead-on match for each other, so I'll probably be going with it vs grabbing the correct set.

wX7Msi.jpg

Interesting subject: I did a little research when I was doing an Iwo Jima bird from the Tamiya 1/32. Good call to omit the rockets, which means you dont need the very large oversize (iirc P-47) tanks. They were only needed when hauling rockets to Tokyo: the extra drag of said rockets caused higher fuel consumption.

For this and much other background information I found this book invaluable (note recommendation is only for the book, it may be available elsewhere at a better price) https://www.dhz-books.com/en-gb/very-long-range-p-51-mustang-units-of-the-pacific-war,-aviation-elite-units-21,-osprey

Edited by MikeC

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

Interesting subject: I did a little research when I was doing an Iwo Jima bird from the Tamiya 1/32. Good call to omit the rockets, which means you dont need the very large oversize (iirc P-47) tanks. They were only needed when hauling rockets to Tokyo: the extra drag of said rockets caused higher fuel consumption.

For this and much other background information I found this book invaluable (note recommendation is only for the book, it may be available elsewhere at a better price) https://www.dhz-books.com/en-gb/very-long-range-p-51-mustang-units-of-the-pacific-war,-aviation-elite-units-21,-osprey

Yep, excellent book, for sure, and one that I already have in the book stash.

Here's a screen snatch from some video game that depicts the same scheme. While it looks pretty decent, there is at least one error. The five stripes that appear on wing uppers, were not present on the real machine, at least as far as I've been able to determine. The tail radar warning antennas will just be tiny in 1:48, so I may or may not try to add them.

dB19PI.jpg

Oh boy, a problem, just what I needed. It appears that at some time in the past, I ground away the molded-in-place IP coaming for the Aires unit to fit. It’s been a while since I had last worked on this, so naturally that Aires part is now nowhere to be found. Fortunately, I have a few more Tamiya kits, so I’ll order yet another Aires set and start over again. I’m thrilled.

• 3 weeks later...