"Bit of a rough go today, eh, chap?"

Hi, everyone.  I guess it's time to get my membership card to the Kotare Klub as there seem to be about a million of these in the WIP forum right now.  :)

Since finishing my Corsair diorama, which took months, I wanted a quick, straight forward build as something of a palate cleanser.  My son said he thought it'd be neat if I did a Spitfire, I had the Kotare Mk Ia (mid) kit in the stash, I've never build a British aircraft before, and so, fate was decided.

I departed from my usual MO of recreating an historical photograph and decided to just do a fictional, but feasible scene.  I've wanted to depict battle damage on an aircraft since I was kid, but never really had the skills or practice till now.  So, being that this kit has a low parts count and went together really nicely, I decided it would be a good platform to try my hand at damage.  I thinned the interior plastic walls with a low rpm rotary tool, carefully punched and pried holes in the weakened area, then painted and streaked the area to look the part.

Aside from the rigging wire (EZ-line), figures (Black Dog Resin, out of the box), and the base (el cheapo panel board), the kit is presented out of the box.  I even used the decals in lieu of my usual gig of cutting masks and painting.  This experience reminded me that I'm way out of practice working with large decals, but after a few minor scares, they turned out okay.

This is a Spitfire Mk Ia of 610 Squadron sometime in the summer of 1940 before it was damaged beyond repair that August.

"Bit of a rough go today, eh, chap?"

Spitfire-Ia-Final-01.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-02.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-03.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-04.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-05.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-06.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-07.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-08.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-09.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-10.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-11.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-15.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-16.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-17.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-18.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-19.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-20.jpg

Spitfire-Ia-Final-21.jpg

Edited by ChuckD

Hi

it's a very nice little " vignette" , very realistic , the battle damages are well done , you got it !!! .. 

the guy on the tail plane looks a bit "relax" compare to the dramatic moment depicted ,I presume it's the typical  " the Brit sense of  coolness "(or composure)

Alain :hmmm:

Posted (edited)

Thank you.

11 hours ago, alain11 said:

Hi

it's a very nice little " vignette" , very realistic , the battle damages are well done , you got it !!! .. 

the guy on the tail plane looks a bit "relax" compare to the dramatic moment depicted ,I presume it's the typical  " the Brit sense of  coolness "(or composure)

Alain :hmmm:

Yep, that was the hope... To capture that classic British cool and calm in the face of difficult times.  Same with the understatement of the thread title.  I envisioned a friend greeting his returning brethren and downplaying the danger just to help bring some levity to the situation.

Edited by ChuckD

Spot on in every respect Chuck, absolutely love it especially the attention to detail epitomised by the inner wing structure showing through the cannon damage. Beautiful. :clap2::clap2:

• 1 month later...