Why is the old Italeri F-104C $150 at retail?

Bill Cross

Hankering after a VN War F-104C, but the Italeri kit, hardly a revelation these days, is over $150 at Sprue Bros. I realize SB aren't the be all, end all in kit purchasing, but still.... The G and TF-105G are both decent (I built the two-seater and gave up on the G when the Aeres resin upgrades didn't fit the kit).

Did I miss the memo where Italeri kits are suddenly in scorching hot demand?

Edited by Bill Cross
clarity

I can't speak to this kit specifically, however I have the impression that comparatively speaking Italeri kits tend to be on the expensive side.  I am interested in their 1/12 car kits and those tend to hold high prices also.  But usually I think any Italeri kit tends to be relatively expensive.  Even relative to Tamiya I consider Italeri pricey at least Tamiya you get better engineering for your money also.  

3 hours ago, Bill Cross said:

There isn't a resin cockpit, but the AM stuff still totals almost $200. It would be an expensive hanker to give into. :wub:

I found a couple of them on Ebayand Amazon has one for $118.22 and free shipping. There's another on Ebay for ~$80 USD but the shipping is $39USD [a little steep]. I paid $107 plus shipping for a TF-104G about a month ago. It's entirely up to you but I got 2 resin seats [AMS] and a Quinta cockpit set for the TF, but that'll be it for me. Aires resin cockpits can be a drop fit or........ get out the big hammers!

Buy it where you can find it cheaper.  It’s that simple.  A retailer sets a price based on what their source (distributor, importer, etc) sells it to them for.  If the source raises their prices due to shipping costs, currency conversions, increased operating costs, whatever, they raise their prices and that gets passed to the consumer.  Italeri prices have gotten ridiculous IMHO.  The MSRP for the Tornado kit is ridiculous, as is the Mc202 price.

Guys, do not forget such kits are still produced in western Europe. When you look at the salaries, taxes and cumulated inflation here this mainly explains that! If the quality is worth the price is another debate... In that perspective we should wonder why some kits made in China (and not better!) are sold for similar prices...:(

9 hours ago, RBrown said:

Thanks, that's a better price, but the $20 shipping puts it right back to Sprue Bros. prices (with free shipping over $200 which it would be with AM). But thanks for the information, I REALLY do appreciate your taking the time.

6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Guys, do not forget such kits are still produced in western Europe. When you look at the salaries, taxes and cumulated inflation here this mainly explains that! If the quality is worth the price is another debate... In that perspective we should wonder why some kits made in China (and not better!) are sold for similar prices...:(

That is an excellent point and a fair point.  I did purchase their 1/12 Bugatti, I am hopping they release the Alfa Romeo 158 post war GP car, I will buy that at almost any price if they tool one.  

12 minutes ago, Bill Cross said:

On backorder. :( And shipping is $55.

I was looking at the new version

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=IT 2514

And yeah i use their surface shipping cuz with the stach im bever in a hurry, and often slap on discount codes they have. 

Still a good price point of reference 

Also SB shipping to canada for that kit is 53$

Edited by Neo