Laminar Flow Design 3D printed seamless intake for Tamiya Phantom

orion2

14 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Yea, talk about printing money!  :clap2: Can you backorder them?  I have one of their Spitfire conversions. Quality stuff!  Worth the wait. 

Looking at the website it doesn't have an "email when in stock" or backorder that I can see. Guess I will just check the site occasionally. :unsure:

That's # 1 bada** Blue Build Scott, real close match to your

bench and paint bin! Are those the Yellowhammer decals?

And i've found the FOD covers easily fit the intakes just like

the real deal, so can really have both. This is definitely how

I will go doing a Reno High Rollers Recce build since they did

their covers up something sweet.

Yea, Yellowhammer.  If I did it again, that top scallop already comes in two parts,  the bigger one needs to be cut into 4 more pieces to make it easier to lay down.  It’s so big it did break on me in a couple of places. Icamethisclose to yanking it off and painting it. 

On 2/5/2024 at 4:45 PM, 32scalelover said:

Now you got me fired up to build another Phantom and try the new 3D printed intakes, and they are OUT OF STOCK! :BANGHEAD2:

Greg

Greg, I ordered a set this morning. There were only two in stock so hopefully you'll grab the last one.

8 hours ago, Ginja Ninja said:

Greg, I ordered a set this morning. There were only two in stock so hopefully you'll grab the last one.

I got the intakes in the cart and found out the shipping was going to cost more than the parts, so I ended up not getting them. 

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully someone will distribute them in the US to get the shipping cost down.

Greg

23 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

I got the intakes in the cart and found out the shipping was going to cost more than the parts, so I ended up not getting them. 

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully someone will distribute them in the US to get the shipping cost down.

Greg

That's what the digital download is meant for.

The digital model is available for free in its 1st version on cults (link on the product page)
I reworked it recently a little, changing a few thing for a better print, and adding pre supported structure. This version is available for a tip on the website.
Just find a buddy with a printer, or a guy with a printer that will become a buddy, and get it printed. No shipping charge added.

I try to have a little stock of the printed version, but its not really the philosophy of this model. As you said, shipping often overtakes the part cost.

Cheers

2 hours ago, MDuv said:

That's what the digital download is meant for.

The digital model is available for free in its 1st version on cults (link on the product page)
I reworked it recently a little, changing a few thing for a better print, and adding pre supported structure. This version is available for a tip on the website.
Just find a buddy with a printer, or a guy with a printer that will become a buddy, and get it printed. No shipping charge added.

I try to have a little stock of the printed version, but its not really the philosophy of this model. As you said, shipping often overtakes the part cost.

Cheers

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a printer.  I found a place that will print them, but they have 4 choices for the type of printer. (FDM, SLA, DLP, SLS) What is the best type printer for this application?

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

Question - I saw that a post announcing Monkey Models F-4 intake set got moved to the Vendors forum (which is kind of like the equivalent of being sent to Siberia) and yet this post remains and is flourishing.   What's the criteria for what stays and what goes in this forum?   Are some announcements more worthy than others? 

20 hours ago, BiggTim said:

Yes, I would be glad to give that a shot for you. I would need the SLA type files. Just drop me an email - bnbresindesign@gmail.com. Another option would be the excellent ones that Model Monkey just posted about.

T

Hey Tim, I took a look and that post. Looks to me like there is still a big transition from the printed parts to the kit part.  Bottom outer corner has a pretty big gap that will need blending.  I’d like to see a comparison of the LFD gap inside. 
I’m still a big fan of the complete swap it where the outer skin is also replaced. One just has to be careful with cuts. 

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Question - I saw that a post announcing Monkey Models F-4 intake set got moved to the Vendors forum (which is kind of like the equivalent of being sent to Siberia) and yet this post remains and is flourishing.   What's the criteria for what stays and what goes in this forum?   Are some announcements more worthy than others? 

Hi John

WOW thanks for rising this point. As a vendor I have contacted the leaders on this exact point a few times, and have either not been given an answer or been ignored.

Now I will make it very clear right at the outset that I contribute to LSP and have a yearly sub, and am very willing to pay that, as the guys on this forum above any other give me tremendous support and encouragement, which is often worth more than money, and that comes from all including the leaders of the forum.

However as I am not directly involved with this particular product or another that I shall mention I feel I can comment in support of other one man business or small companies.

What I have found is that IF an outsider or friend puts up a post on the front page about a new product by a small sole trader then it often gets to stay?

If however a vendor places it on the front page it gets moved, this have happened in this case to Model Monkey and recently Eli of Zotz Decals put up post and that was moved.

However there are a few vendors out there that always seem to make the front page and stay on the front page and quite a few do not post on here very often themselves and or have a paid vendors space.

In summary I fully understand it is a difficult and tricky balance but I do feel that there needs to be parity across the board for small vendors, and all should be encouraged to take up a legitimate vendors board, and they cannot come with the nonsense it is too expensive. It is very reasonable, one of the cheapest around and for the money they charge and make on their products it is easily affordable. More guys paying and supporting LARGE SCALE PLANES just mean that it can get better for everyone.

I hope that this is all taken in the spirit that is meant in.

cheers Ali

5 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi John

WOW thanks for rising this point. As a vendor I have contacted the leaders on this exact point a few times, and have either not been given an answer or been ignored.

Now I will make it very clear right at the outset that I contribute to LSP and have a yearly sub, and am very willing to pay that, as the guys on this forum above any other give me tremendous support and encouragement, which is often worth more than money, and that comes from all including the leaders of the forum.

However as I am not directly involved with this particular product or another that I shall mention I feel I can comment in support of other one man business or small companies.

What I have found is that IF an outsider or friend puts up a post on the front page about a new product by a small sole trader then it often gets to stay?

If however a vendor places it on the front page it gets moved, this have happened in this case to Model Monkey and recently Eli of Zotz Decals put up post and that was moved.

However there are a few vendors out there that always seem to make the front page and stay on the front page and quite a few do not post on here very often themselves and or have a paid vendors space.

In summary I fully understand it is a difficult and tricky balance but I do feel that there needs to be parity across the board for small vendors, and all should be encouraged to take up a legitimate vendors board, and they cannot come with the nonsense it is too expensive. It is very reasonable, one of the cheapest around and for the money they charge and make on their products it is easily affordable. More guys paying and supporting LARGE SCALE PLANES just mean that it can get better for everyone.

I hope that this is all taken in the spirit that is meant in.

cheers Ali

I look forward to hearing the mod’s rationale.   My only concern is that I don’t frequent the Vendors forum that much (I try but I’m just set in my web surfing ways) and would hate to miss out on a cool new product because it’s quickly pushed off of this page. 

Hi John 

I understand what you are saying but not everything can be in one place, that is why it is structured the way it is. I used to be the same as you, but as time has gone on I scan through all the various places on this forum and others, because so often there are jewels in other areas, RATHER than loads of endless WISH lists that keep appearing just with different titles, with the same kits just being asked for over and over again.:rolleyes: