MDC Hawker Typhoon W/Cdr R E P Brooker

mozart

On 4/17/2024 at 12:12 AM, Archimedes said:

Neat work Max on a typically busy Hawker cockpit.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul, the cockpit certainly is busy but I'm taking the "less is more" approach on the Typhoon, I really can't see the point in agonising over detail that isn't going to be seen, especially since the canopy may well be closed.  I'd like to find a seated pilot figure but they aren't often modelled.

On 4/17/2024 at 9:41 AM, dennismcc said:

Looks familiar Max, remember it well, but as you rightly say not a lot will be visible, but it's still fun building it.

Cheers

Dennis

Yep, see above Dennis....and below for that matter re- the gunsight!  You've got the tee-shirt! 

4 hours ago, DugyB said:

Praying for that day we get a modern tooled Tiff in plastic…..until then I’ll just be sitting back enjoying and studying your build .. :popcorn:

Bound to be a) easier and b) more detailed but as a "Silver Wings kits" builder, and all that those kits entail, I'm loving this Tiffie.

I'm currently doing the IP, the decals supplied with the kit are perfectly good as far as they go but there's no dial showing the status of the landing gear, and the compass face is far too small so I'll be dipping into my Airscale supplies shortly.  I had researched and labelled the function of each dial:

S4We8E.jpg

And as is right now:

4VpU1u.jpg

Looking ahead to the next stages, the placement of the gunsight needed a bit of research but this picture tells it all:

YAtT5r.jpg

Fitted onto the front of a curved bar.  There was also a later type evolved by Roland Beamont that fits behind the bar:

do9gJg.jpg

Don't know at the moment when this was introduced but the earlier type will do for me.  This with a very necessary "crash pad", home made?:

WlOPZ5.jpg

And looking even further ahead, the wing to fuselage join looks promising, in fact I've seen IM models with worse fits:

vhttfo.jpg

11 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Looks like you've got a good one there Max, mine is a bit ugly in places but nothing that can't be sorted. CMK make a really nice gunsight if yours is poorly cast.

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy, my gunsight, and indeed the rest of the model, is a real gem! And I’ve ordered a pilot figure, allegedly sitting in a Spitfire seat…..who’ll know! Hope he fits in the rest of the cockpit. 

On 4/20/2024 at 3:11 PM, DugyB said:

I like the tonal variation of the instrument panel, (in the real photos) adds a ton of interest… :popcorn:

They are angled differently, so it’s the light that makes them appear a different shade.

6 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

They are angled differently, so it’s the light that makes them appear a different shade.

Yes you're right Alain, but arguably I could paint the lower angled parts a lighter grey to force the "colour scale effect" with light and shade.  Whether that will be apparent in the "coal scuttle" of a back cockpit.....? :hmmm:  Anyway, let's talk wings!  They're ON!

cTtoj4.jpg

pEIuBM.jpg

28DSP5.jpg

Dry fitted as already mentioned they are a very good fit so I wanted to maximise this.  I'm using Devcon 5 minute epoxy (as recommended by MDC Bob!) and wanted to get as much pressure as I could evenly along the length of the wing joint which I thought was best achieved with a half fuselage.  It's a pretty chunky (typically Hawker) wing root so plenty of joint potential and a "guaranteed" :rolleyes: squareness.  All's good so far.  There is, inevitably, a thin line to fill and I've done this using Apoxy-Sculpt which should mean a minimum clean up tomorrow when it's cured.

Posted (edited)

The pilot figure arrived today:

94TFYg.jpg

Not without its drama, posted in Stoke on Trent….went to North West hub (Liverpool? Manchester?)….then Southampton (I expected next day delivery but No!……suddenly it’s back at the North West hub! Then….back to Southampton and delivered today….damaged! 

rDqeYQ.png

It’s not a great figure, the modelling is rather crude and clunky but I knew I’d be doing my Michelangelo bit and of course not too much will be visible. So I hacked off the Spitfire seat, leaving sufficient resin to give a “cushion” that would have been the parachute pack. After a while:

PJ9yTc.jpg

W/Cdr Brooker is sitting comfortably in his Typhoon seat. I intend cleaning up some of my sculpting with my needle files but not spend too much time on it. The head though is another matter. The supplied head (at the top in the tweezers) lacked any sort of detail or finesse, so spares box to the rescue with several options. 

Brooker has his oxygen mask on as he takes off:

dRIF3C.jpg

Three heads with the mask moulded on, others with one to be added:

Z3cmwl.jpg

I’m currently favouring the second one up, maybe the very bottom one, better googles….we’ll see. 

Edited by mozart