175 Squadron Hurribomber finished!

mozart

1 minute ago, mozart said:

Yes Derek, Radu’s influence is quite clear thank goodness! I also have the old Revell Hurricane that I was intending to build at some point but in comparison it’s so poor that I really now can’t be bothered. I plan to glue it together as a paint mule.

Probably a good idea Max! I could always buy the Revell Mk.II Hurricane and convert it back into a Mk.I suppose? (I may use one of my two old mould Revell Hurricane kits as a paint mule as well and perhaps make the other one as the F.36/34 prototype!).

Derek

Looks superb Max :clap2:

I could be tempted to build a Hurricane by one of these. 

One thing that's making me hold off is the thought that Kotare might produce one at some point and although it would cost more, might it be better?

What are your thoughts so far? Any room for improvement?

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Looks superb Max :clap2:

I could be tempted to build a Hurricane by one of these. 

One thing that's making me hold off is the thought that Kotare might produce one at some point and although it would cost more, might it be better?

What are your thoughts so far? Any room for improvement?

It’s a very, very good kit indeed Guy, I wouldn’t hesitate to build another one. I think the shortfall that some would pick up is the lack of the multitude of rivets on the Hurricane’s wings especially. I would imagine this issue was considered carefully by the Revell design team and they opted not to include them, it’s not a deal breaker in any way for me with either this nor the PCM kit. I recently looked at my Revell “old tool” one which has the wing rivets, didn’t look great to me. Sometimes, often, less is more.  

Similarly on the empennage there’s no attempt to show rib tapes and stitching, something that I will probably rectify as I did on the PCM kit. 

I think you could be waiting for a while for a Kotare Hurricane, I’m sure it will be very good but how much better than this Revell kit is hard to say. Can you ever have too many Hurricanes? 

Edited by mozart

Well I don't think the fuselage will be joined today, but I've done a bit of dry fitting to see how the cockpit assembly fits into it:

CNSagn.jpg

ecaD3o.jpg

The answer?  Superb!  If ever, God forbid, my mojo took a nose-dive, this would be the kit to restore it.  Fitting the gunsight:

Vuzfhl.jpg

LWmCbM.jpg

I didn't realise just how much the gunsight projected into the cockpit, no wonder so many pilots ended up with facial damage from forced landings!  Just the seat belts to install and then this part will be complete.

Being in the process of assembling one I confirm that it is a beautiful model and that it is pleasant to assemble.

Good job on yours 

Too bad I still haven't figured out how to put photos here

43 minutes ago, Phil88 said:

Being in the process of assembling one I confirm that it is a beautiful model and that it is pleasant to assemble.

Good job on yours 

Too bad I still haven't figured out how to put photos here

What is the problem with photos Phil? Presumably you have a “host” such as ImageShack, Imgur etc? 

Gunsight painted and in position:

XLmoaW.jpg

(must thin the edges of the coaming!) and (you'll get tired of me waxing lyrical about this kit :rolleyes:) just how good the (unglued) fit is:

lK6Myz.jpg

But am I missing something?  Why no hood rail on the starboard side?  Doesn't make sense.

xSBP7J.jpg

7 minutes ago, Sepp said:

The 'missing' bit of the right-hand hood rail is part of the right-hand cockpit wall/door/hatch insert, which you will encounter in step 24 :)

Ah….thanks Sepp! Haven’t seen that yet. I couldn’t believe that it would have been overlooked.