Zvezda 767-300 (KLM)

LSP_K2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve decided that Tamiya light grey primer is as close as I’m likely to get for the bottom color (certainly not a dead match, but at least acceptable), so have now painted it accordingly. Naturally enough, despite my best efforts to be thorough, I still managed to miss a few spots that will now require repair. :blush:

BFKxCJ.jpg

Here the white demarcation band and rudder have finally been painted, using Gunze gloss white lacquer. As is all too typical for me when shooting gloss, I got a wee bit heavy handed and will now need to sand those ridges off.

Next up, the fuselage light blue. I’m so excited!

24yml8.jpg

Major, major boo boo here; while masking for the dark blue, I realized I’d completely screwed up the previous masking, but decided to go ahead and paint it anyway just to see “what might have been”.  With the dark blue band now sprayed on (Gunze Mr Color #5), it was time for the big reveal. Looks like yet another candidate for the landfill.

m0Ch1U.jpg

27 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Why landfill? I don't understand what is wrong from the pics.

Basically, two things. The dark blue band tapers to a point at the tail, because of not masking the previous demarcation properly, and the dark blue is supposed to be nearly twice the width of the white band, which I have as almost exactly the same width. My initial knee jerk reaction was to just throw it in the trash, but I may well just wet sand it and choose a different (easier) livery altogether; Delta or some such.

8 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

It's just paint, so sand and respray, or strip it entirely.

Kev

I may, but in the meanwhile it looks like a bunch of the decals out there as options, are out of stock, and I don't have the time to just keep putting everything off. What, if anything, will strip Tamiya lacquer paint? I've never had any luck with that.

8 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I may, but in the meanwhile it looks like a bunch of the decals out there as options, are out of stock, and I don't have the time to just keep putting everything off. What, if anything, will strip Tamiya lacquer paint? I've never had any luck with that.

Tamiya lacquer thinner! Or Mr. Color Thinner - whichever one you have to hand. Just don't use hardware store lacquer thinner, as will be almost guaranteed to damage the plastic. But honestly, unless I'm feeling fussy about surface details, I'm often happy to just go over the existing paint after a quick sand to knock it down a bit.

Kev

I appreciate the support, fellas, I really do. My initial "knee jerk" reaction was to just trash it, but I now believe it may yet be salvageable. Top of the dark blue band looks nice and straight, as it should be, so perhaps I can carefully mask and redo the rest after all. Either way, for various reasons, it probably won't be finished for the show in June, which sucks, but may eventually still turn into a decent looking model.

C9WLPL.jpg