1/32 Kotare Spitfire Mk.I (Early) K9795 19 Squadron October 1938

monthebiff

On 2/29/2024 at 2:25 AM, Archimedes said:

HI Andy,

Lovely work on the cockpit  - you nailed it!  You are ahead of me in your build and I have duly noted the issues you have come across - great work so far! I am lapping this up with a spoon!

Kind regards,

Paul

On 3/2/2024 at 3:49 AM, Archimedes said:

Very impressive on the cockpit Andy - what did you use for a wash?

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul for looking in, for the wash in the cockpit I used black and vandyke brown oils thinned with Xtracolor thinners after I'd done my base colours followed by a gloss varnish and decals.

Regards. Andy 

Managed to get an undercoat on yesterday followed by a pre shade this evening

20240305-222939.jpg

20240305-223015.jpg

Went quite heavy on the underside around the usual areas of heavy grime. Under a coat of paint it's incredible what Kotare have done with the panels/ rivet detail etc. Looking forward to getting some colour on now.

Regards. Andy 

Initial colour going down and applied an overall coat of AK Real Color Dark Earth

20240306-164559.jpg

And now we can really see the effort Kotare have gone to with the surface detail of rivets and panels

20240306-164730.jpg

These really early Spitfire's had a completely hard edged camouflage pattern so my thought is to use my other part built Spit as the master for paint masks. I did an overall of Dark Earth as when the green goes down over it I really like the hue I get from it.

Also started to think about the aluminium colour on the undersides and as you can see it's not shiny at all (all pictures from the Kotaere instruction manual)

20240306-171524.jpg

20240306-171631.jpg

20240306-171608.jpg

And on that last shot you can see the sharp camouflage demarcation lines very clearly. Need to have a think and experiment with my metal colours me thinks.

Regards. Andy 

Ditto on the paintwork.

I like the raised rivets and ‘ lapping ‘ on the rear fuselage. I know that some people think of it as enhancement rather than detail but it works well for me in the larger scales.

Keep on keeping on.

John

20 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Nice work Andy,

This is coming along well. I also noticed you put your HB B-24 into the Jubilee group build. You’re a busy man!

Kind regards,

Paul

Yes getting there now with this one Paul, was hoping to mask up for the green tonight but a late one home unfortunately!

The B-24 is sat in a holding pattern right now in readiness to continue with it.

Regards. Andy 

14 hours ago, mozart said:

Smooth paint work Andy. I know nothing about AK paints, are they easy to use? They obviously spray well. 

I really do like the AK Real Color range Max, they are a acrylic lacquer and spray absolutely beautifully. You do need to thi them but 50/50 works perfectly but what really drew me to them is their Luftwaffe colours particularly the range of late war colours.

Regards. Andy 

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Ditto on the paintwork.

I like the raised rivets and ‘ lapping ‘ on the rear fuselage. I know that some people think of it as enhancement rather than detail but it works well for me in the larger scales.

Keep on keeping on.

John

I agree with you John regarding the way Kotare have done the panels and  rivet detail.  I also like the detail on the wing roots to fuselage joint which they have absolutely nailed. 

Regards. Andy 

I watched my previously recorded ‘Warplane Workshop’ last night on MkV AR501 at Old Warden ( not the MkXIV at Sywell as previously mentioned so I must have missed an episode ) which had plenty of close up shots of the wing root fairings which showed just how accurate the Kotare representation is.

John

A nice quite Sunday morning at home so out with the masking tape in readiness for the hard edged dark green camouflage seen on early Spitfire's 

20240317-160044.jpg

and with the  masks removed completely 

20240317-162051.jpg

20240317-162037.jpg

Next up is the silver undersides 

Regards. Andy