Hasegawa Fi-156c - Norwegian air force

Grunticus

1 hour ago, mc65 said:

I don't think... removing the mg with all the ammo means saving some kg, cut out the seat is matter of hg.

very good seat, kudos! Have you seen the videos? You may find there that the front structure underneath has a shape different from the kit's one.

also, you may disguise the kit tab with any box, just a proposal... ;)

Thanks a bunch Paolo! Great video, finally some good views of the rear area. This helps tremendously!

I have added two clamps from scrap PE to the back seat which will rest on the tube in front it.

STugCpt.jpg

meOllfK.jpg

I made the cushioning for the back seats. They need to dry twelve hours and will then, after some sanding, recieve the same color as the front seat.

BDlece9.jpg

The painted seats in place.

GADy882.jpg

I have also started work on the internal tubing. I will try to stay as faithful to the 1:1 as much as possible (within reason), but some artistic license will be applied as well.

Kdxu0Ol.jpg

Checkin regularly if nothing in the way of anything. I want less surprises than with the Phantom.

ftlCcqH.jpg

Cheers!

Edited by Grunticus
spelling

I did some tidbits in the last days. I've learned what to expect from Eduard sets, usually I find them so-so, but they sure do add some nice things, like the foor pedals they always have. Tricky to fold, but when done they look the part 100%. I could even pull the boot strap through the eye.

aqjHbZ5.jpg

The rear seat is finished. Not accurate, but a whole lot better than OOB.

X5O5m2a.jpg

TKCJQI6.jpg

I abandoned my original intention to make the tubing true to the original. I got tired of it, and will leave it as in the photo. Again, not accurate, but better that OOB. I still have the inside of the greenhouse to do.

KXfRWMQ.jpg?1

Yx65T25.jpg

I wis all here and their loved ones a wonderful, happy, and above all healthy 2024!

Cheers.

Grunticus, very nice progress!

don't hate me, but I would modify the front structure of the rear seat: just cut the horizontal bar of the kit and connect a "V" with a smaller diameter to the upper one that you made.

cheers, Paolo

3 hours ago, mc65 said:

Grunticus, very nice progress!

don't hate me, but I would modify the front structure of the rear seat: just cut the horizontal bar of the kit and connect a "V" with a smaller diameter to the upper one that you made.

cheers, Paolo

Haha, no Paolo, of course I don't hate you. I see your point. I should have studied it more in the first place.  I think I can alter that as you suggest to make it look more accurate. Thanks Paolo!

Cheers

4syoCjh.jpg

Edit: and it was right in front of me all the time:

OhOdXaS.png

Edited by Grunticus
added drawing

17 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

call it a senior moment

or a brainfart....

I'm senior allright, and it's surfacing more and more, so let's blame that B)

Luckily it was easy to remedy. @mc65, thanks again for pointing it out, it looks much better now.

vOkLLPT.jpg

I thought the throttle assembly from Eduard was overly complicated / fiddly so I modified it a tiny bit. Again I made an error because the levers should protrude I tiny bit out of the bottom of the throttle assembly, but I don't mind.

RlV9xaf.jpg?1.

aRDaMqK.jpg

And in place.

N8yjSwO.jpg?1

Next I gave everything the first coat of primer to make it look uniform, and closed up the fuselage with tape to see if things still fit. They do, but it's really tight so I have to be careful when I do the final assembly of the cockpit.

m9YXvC4.jpg

B2G3qxr.jpg

oGxNorj.jpg

Cheers!

Posted (edited)

Well, it's in! But it was a battle, and there was some battle damage to the cage construction, but luckiliy that was easy to fix. Next come a few rounds of touching up the seams with superglue, and sanding.

gR53TJ6.jpg

Edit: I got a response from HGW about the seat belts. It turns out the instructions in my set were wrong and they have since corrected them. Part nine for the shoulder belts, part 6 for the hip-belts. FYI.

1XbBJKf.jpg

Edited by Grunticus

I started the tedious task of maskig the greenhouse. The Eduard set contains masks fot the outside only. So I put the outside masks on (fit was spot-on), scanned the backing sheet in to Silhouette Studio, and traced the placeholders. Some had to be mirrored and / or resized, but this is easy to to.

Next I will start work on the engine.

bAuc6R3.jpg

3QQybhK.jpg

DbFGaua.jpg

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

I'm really enjoying following your work on this Grunti.

And you win this week's prize for 'subject pivot'

An F4 Phantom to a Storch!

Thanks Richard, glad it's enjoyable to watch progress! The Phantom was a big project for me, and I thought the Storch would be fast and easy. I was wrong. Paolo infected me. Next up I think I'll pick Revell's F-14A (I.I.A.F), F-15B (32nd TFS), or Trumpeter's F-8G (U.S. Navy or Marines markings, not sure which yet, colorful at the least).

Edited by Grunticus