*** Finished*** 1/32 Hasegawa P-47D-30 "Duck Butt"

Tolga ULGUR

Hi, Tolga

K-14's began to be factory installed by January, 1945 on D-40-RA's, but according to "The Mighty Eighth War Manual" by Roger Freeman -arguably the world's leading authority on the USAAF in the ETO during WW2- the "K-14 was the fighter version, first received for trial installation in July 1944 and progressively installed in as many fighter aircraft as possible after August, replacing all other types of sight."

So, as is always the case, the best way to know if this bird had its original N9 sight or if it had been upgraded to the K-14 is to find a good quality period photo of said bird. I did a quick web search and the best I could do was this rather lo-res shot of 44-20372, sadly it is so small and grainy that it is nigh on impossible to discern which sight was installed. If I had to hazard a guess though, I'd bet on the N9, just based on the slimmer profile of that sight compared to the boxier K-14. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can get away with installing any one of the two and no one alive today can honestly tell you if it's wrong or right, so it's up to you in the end.

lqvr8MH.jpg

Hope that helps!

- Thomaz

1 hour ago, TAG said:

Hi, Tolga

K-14's began to be factory installed by January, 1945 on D-40-RA's, but according to "The Mighty Eighth War Manual" by Roger Freeman -arguably the world's leading authority on the USAAF in the ETO during WW2- the "K-14 was the fighter version, first received for trial installation in July 1944 and progressively installed in as many fighter aircraft as possible after August, replacing all other types of sight."

So, as is always the case, the best way to know if this bird had its original N9 sight or if it had been upgraded to the K-14 is to find a good quality period photo of said bird. I did a quick web search and the best I could do was this rather lo-res shot of 44-20372, sadly it is so small and grainy that it is nigh on impossible to discern which sight was installed. If I had to hazard a guess though, I'd bet on the N9, just based on the slimmer profile of that sight compared to the boxier K-14. That being said, I'm pretty sure you can get away with installing any one of the two and no one alive today can honestly tell you if it's wrong or right, so it's up to you in the end.

lqvr8MH.jpg

Hope that helps!

- Thomaz

Hi Thomaz,

I agree, when I examined the same picture, the blurry profile looked like an N9 to me. And I decided to continue with K9. Thanks so much for your help, much appreciated.

• Tolga ULGUR changed the title to *** Finished*** 1/32 Hasegawa P-47D-30 "Duck Butt"