New big scale MiG-17

CRAZY IVAN5

11 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Actually the Foxbat is 78 feet long, MiG-31 is around 74 feet long, B-17 is 74feet 4inches long, F- 4 is 63 feet long with the F-105 coming in at a measly 64 feet 4 inches.

Size is not just about comparing lengths. Going with the longest measurements, the MiG-25 is 74' long and the B-17 has a 103' wingspan. Suddenly, the MiG-25 is MUCH smaller. 

D

28 minutes ago, D Bellis said:

Size is not just about comparing lengths. Going with the longest measurements, the MiG-25 is 74' long and the B-17 has a 103' wingspan. Suddenly, the MiG-25 is MUCH smaller. 

D

I didn't include the wing spans nor heights , just the lengths. Of course the wingspans of the bomber will be bigger. The fact that these are fighters and they are close to the lengths of a bomber. You're right when you include the wing spans it is a much bigger foot print on the shelves. Still the point is a Foxbat is very reasonable candidate  for a company to do a big scale one, certainly not outlandish.

Currently kit-bashing a Fagot and JJ-5 into a Midget and residual Fresco with some encouraging success. I can't do much with the Fresco windshield parts (neither of which is accurate) but they're cheap kits, so hey-ho. I've spent more on the decals and etch for mine!

Would be great to see a new tool 1/32 MiG-15UTI and -17 after dealing with the first generation Trumpeter kits. 

Have been tempted to get the 1/48 Ammo by Mig Fresco kit but can't go small scale with a small jet. We really need a good 1/32 Fishbed series too, one including the -21PF, -21PFM etc intermediate variants. 

Tony

23 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Any MiG, properly molded would be a huge blessing. And please don’t bring up Trumpeter’s A-team, it doesn’t exist. I’m talking properly researched and executed MiG, no matter which one. Any. 

I've read that their MiG-29 was pretty good. I can't vouch for it as I don't have one. I think the A team, B team, or any team. it's just some of their stuff is pretty good , other things ,well......not...so ...much. Their Crusaders are pretty nice[ not perfect ] but that MiG -17 ,give me one huge and incredible break!

2 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Now the question begs answering . Who would be a likely company to do a -17 or -15? I know who I'd like to see do them but I'd want a new corvette in the drive way too and that ain't gonna happen either. Any guesses?

I hope Revell or ICM decide to do a MiG-15 or MiG-17. They are decidedly issuing excellent kits these days.

But anyone else can produce one, and if it’s good, so much the better.

If It is eventually Airfix, then it’s naturally going to be in 1/24 scale!

Alain

1 hour ago, Alain Gadbois said:

I hope Revell or ICM decide to do a MiG-15 or MiG-17. They are decidedly issuing excellent kits these days.

Alain

Ya know, 1/24  scale MiG-17 would suit me just fine and I think Airfix would do a bang up job on it too. You could really go nuts detailing it . Revell could do a good job too, and you're right they've been putting out some good stuff except for the super hornet , sorry that one was a bust. It was one of the very few kits in my life that beat me and I really wanted to have a big scale super bug too. The trumpeter one is just too rich for my blood and with them ,ya neva know.

One of the true enigmas in this hobby is why none of the A companies (Tamiya, GWH, Z-M, Eduard etc.) do either a MIG 15 or a F-86 in 1/32 given the historical importance and multi nation operators of both. Even some of the better B & B+ companies like Academy, ICM and Kinetic would turn out cracking models with a new tool kit of these subjects. As others have said, the Trump MIG 15 is virtually toy-like and Kinetic's original F-86 is a bit 'clunky' in places with quite a basic pit for the scale especially.

Fingers crossed!

Gary

17 minutes ago, Gary Needham said:

One of the true enigmas in this hobby is why none of the A companies (Tamiya, GWH, Z-M, Eduard etc.) do either a MIG 15 or a F-86 in 1/32 given the historical importance and multi nation operators of both. Even some of the better B & B+ companies like Academy, ICM and Kinetic would turn out cracking models with a new tool kit of these subjects. As others have said, the Trump MIG 15 is virtually toy-like and Kinetic's original F-86 is a bit 'clunky' in places with quite a basic pit for the scale especially.

Fingers crossed!

Gary

I agree it IS an enigma and as you've stated not the only one. These ARE iconic aircraft and real trailblazers as they introduced a new form of combat aircraft[ not the first perhaps], but the first time there was wide spread jet on jet combat. The companies you've listed would ALL do a good job on these so one really has to ask why no new tool kits . Maybe if we rattle enough cages it might shake something loose ,ya neva know lest ya neva try, right?

On 8/27/2023 at 3:54 AM, Alain Gadbois said:

Alain

Not before they've done a 1/24 EE/BAC Lightning!  Though I doubt they'll do anything other than piston planes for the forseeable future. 

Our best hope for a new tool Fresco and Fishbed is a Chinese company we've not yet heard about. 

Propeller plane kits usually offer more moving parts than ones of jets, and a removeable cowling showing a Merlin or machine gun is more exciting than a removed access panel revealing some cuboid black boxes and cables or a radar dish. I think that's why we get so few early Cold War era jet kits. Kids find them boring.

And 1950s-1960s-1970s jets are not in the public consciousness. They're not in Top Gun or a Japanese dessine animé.

Basically, we're stuffed unless we can deal with polyurethane resin kits or are willing to drop down to 1/48th, where all the jets are happening. Yes, lots. It's a veritable cornucopia of kerosene powered wonder. 

Tony  

On 8/26/2023 at 7:13 PM, LSP_K2 said:

A 1:32 MiG-17 (or 19), might just get some of my cash. I'd probably be happier with a real nice MiG-15, to be honest.

Trumpeter makes two very respectable MiG-19s, the -C and the -E.

7 hours ago, Tony T said:

Not before they've done a 1/24 EE/BAC Lightning!  Though I doubt they'll do anything other than piston planes for the forseeable future. 

Our best hope for a new tool Fresco and Fishbed is a Chinese company we've not yet heard about. 

Propeller plane kits usually offer more moving parts than ones of jets, and a removeable cowling showing a Merlin or machine gun is more exciting than a removed access panel revealing some cuboid black boxes and cables or a radar dish. I think that's why we get so few early Cold War era jet kits. Kids find them boring.

And 1950s-1960s-1970s jets are not in the public consciousness. They're not in Top Gun or a Japanese dessine animé.

Basically, we're stuffed unless we can deal with polyurethane resin kits or are willing to drop down to 1/48th, where all the jets are happening. Yes, lots. It's a veritable cornucopia of kerosene powered wonder. 

Tony  

Well, THAT'S disconcerting. You're right ,1/48th seems to be where the action is. The MiG 15,17 ,19 and 21 are pretty small in that scale . I did GWH SU-27UM and great kit but the number of parts was something else [ a little overengineered], it all works though. I still think someone will put out the early MiGs and maybe an F-86, here's hoping. I certain hope we aren't at the mercy of anime fans when it comes to what model companies are going to release .