1/32 Tamiya P-51D-5 "Little Eva III"

zaxos345

52 minutes ago, Antonio Argudo said:

great update mate, lovely work on those wheel bays! maybe you can add the green and yellow bands painted on the struts, also the red ring to attach  a tow bar when moving the aircraft on the ground , cheers 

316958006_5611865038909870_8942809510790

317158604-3464503293772769-8708526183400

Thanks a lot Antonio, really appreciate your help!! I dont think i can do a clean work to paint those green and yellow bands on the struts, i did paint the different colors on the high pressure pipes on the wheel wells, dont know if it can be seen!!!

As for the red ring....done :)

John

• 2 months later...

Good morning gents, 

Took me some time to update the topic, my work was a bit slow but here I am!!!

First, i had to decide how to deal with the landing gear legs! The fit of the small part covering them was not so good, at least on my case, also the way tamiya deals with it is great in order to keep the right angles (i think it is the case with all the kits).

So i decided to screw them in place, glue the cover on it and sand any imperfections. And of course mask them for painting. It was a little PITA as i had to take care not to break them!!

Also the fit of the guns covers was not perfect!!

After solving all those items i masked everything and started dealling with the rivets and panel lines. Painful work, you should check the putty work always after sanding to prevent any ghost sheams to come up. Ok i know, the panel lines were there and sometimes you could see them, anyway....

The best outcome took it with stretch sprue glued inside the panel line, leave it to cure some days and light sand it repeatedly!

7Ir2Lht.jpg

9aoj1wL.jpg

dPxBXYD.jpg

9OEBHqY.jpg

I left everything to cure and dealt with the propeller....

9KzMqO9.jpg

uWxMhk1.jpg

UOGariV.jpg

I primed her with mrp, ready to spray, grey and black primers (i strongly recommend them, easy work, dry rock hard, sandable), grey where the silver paint will go and black for the bare metal. I lightly sanded them in order to slightly polish them. You see the very thin metal paints show everything every small paint particle, i wanted to avoid it as much as i could!!!

hp5VN4R.jpg

CtFKxKR.jpg

qGgJXgU.jpg

I had decide to paint my own insignia, as a matter of fact i wanted to paint all the markings except the ones i couldn't (names, kill marks, etx)

I found a real deal, here on Greece, on a lightly used Shillouette Portrait 3 machine (80 euros only) and i ''killed'' it on the move!!!!

I spent some time to do the basics on the software and i finally managed to design my own insignia masks with the recommented proportions!!

Here i must thank Jennings (fundekals) for his help with the fuselage and tail codes!!!

Now regarding the painting order. It was my second time trying to paint the insignia... also usually the metal colors, at least the one i chose for the bare metal, are very fragile. I did not want any surprises, so i decided to do a''reverse'' painting, paint all the insighnia, codes, bars etc, (except the fuselage and tail codes) mask them and paint the metals last!

So....

P0B2AF0.jpg

seccnIj.jpg

khjCr5R.jpg

toM7NX4.jpg

LF7ryzK.jpg

byKm9lu.jpg

SolnCqb.jpg

UXgmMK6.jpg

a2tx8Q6.jpg

Wsr6hpv.jpg

rGrX31E.jpg

IO5PZU4.jpg

JdJgZS3.jpg

Vwl3A7z.jpg

Antiglare....

aajxs5F.jpg

RcgKA2K.jpg

Ml1HlUh.jpg

EyaZ0Qc.jpg

IwfAJqX.jpg

4JsQhm4.jpg

And finally, time to paint the metallic colors....

For the silver dope wings, there were 2 candidates, tamiya's LP-11 or AS-12,I chose the tamiya's LP-11, to my eyes a bit greyer ...

For the bare metal i chose the new A-Stand, High Shine plus aluminium color from Mig. I made a lot of tests and i thing it is one of the best bare metal colors.

I think you should give it a try!!!

I sprayed it over a shiny black primer, not gloss...i also tested it over a shiny plain grey plastic...the outcome was perfect for me!!!!

UpPNCvr.jpg

zxALX1u.jpg

5iduSyY.jpg

X7CEbns.jpg

0ESONnv.jpg

U28pekr.jpg

FAtK3HB.jpg

TyHZCEG.jpg

XQiN3gY.jpg

y80q8jU.jpg

I sprayed the fuselage and tail codes, gloss varnish (i sprayed tamiya x-22, i did not notice any loss on the bare finish, please comment if you have any remarks) placed the decals and wet transfers from HGW...

WcjmbqU.jpg

2PyHXHg.jpg

3SkU7HZ.jpg

I glued the exhausts (they are from Rexx, soft thin metal, already burned). It took me some time as i had to line them up perfectly...and i also whethered them with tamiya and mig pastels. 

QjVCgZc.jpg

aHFTpK0.jpg

sbhKDd0.jpg

OPQU3U5.jpg

Next a light gloss varnish and pastel wash (i stole the idea from John a.k.a. Thunnus). I was afraid to use oil wash even if i had sprayied the x-22!!!

I was really amazed how the wash picked up all the details!!!!! 

OPQU3U5.jpg

p7Z8RyM.jpg

3SkU7HZ.jpg

K7ez6u4.jpg

Finally i glued the resin flaps from Amur....really amazing how real they seem but a PITA to glue them!!!

Qs8hpWt.jpg

SgCwOrd.jpg

XjF4uwG.jpg

Next and final step...whethering. I am not for the really abused bird....

Hope you like it so far, feel free to comment 

John

1 hour ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Excellent work John! 

The overall painting and the DIY markings are awesome!

Also, belated happy nameday! ^_^

Se efxaristo, thank you very much for the wishes and for the comments Spiro!!!! 

2 minutes ago, Uncarina said:

Very impressive work! I am just catching up here and I’ve clearly been missing out on a great build.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks a lot Tom, really appreciate!!! 

John

43 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

Fantastic NMF John! And all round a really nice finish.

Please can I ask which pastel wash you used and how you applied it?

I will let you know in a couple of hours, please give some time :D

John