On 4/26/2024 at 5:09 PM, mc65 said:

Spyro,

your work on fumes and weathering in general is some of the most interesting I've ever seen.
Particularly impressive on the NM surfaces, a truly spectacular achievement!

:wub: :bow::goodjob:

Thank you so much Paolo! ^_^

On 4/26/2024 at 5:18 PM, Archimedes said:

Oh me, oh my that looks good Spyros!

I think your technique is the most convincing I have seen. What a choice of subject too!

Kind regards,

Paul

Many thanks Paul!

Always wanted to make a Jug and when I saw that nose art I knew I had to do that one! :lol:

On 4/26/2024 at 7:03 PM, Zola25 said:

Wow.. the weathering on the underside is some of the best I have ever seen. Very impressive work

Niels

Thank you Niels! ^_^

On 4/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, quang said:

VERY impressive and realistic exhaust stains @spyrosjzmichos.
Except one thing: on wartime Jugs, those outlets were not exhausts but the waste gates for the turbo, therefore NO staining whatsoever.
On restored planes like the one on your reference pics, they left off the turbo and used the outlets as gas exhaust, hence the extensive staining.

Far from being a P-47D expert, I learned this during the building of my first MiniArt 1/48 kit and thought I’d share it with you.

Cheers,

Quang

9 hours ago, quang said:

AFAIR the discoloration on Mike’s pics is caused by heat, NOT smoke.

Many thanks Quang!

That is some really interesting information about the "exhausts".

I saw your reply to Mike's comment; so based on that it should be more of a discoloured metal rather than exhaust stains.

Although, in some period pics I found, the colour looks too dark to me to be discoloured metal.

And on camouflaged aircraft, it looks black over the neutral grey undersides.

wmMbBp.jpg
Qx9iRE.jpg

I'll do some research and decide what to do before applying the final layer of varnish.

Any many thanks again for that info! ^_^

10 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

There were things other than exhaust that came out of those openings. Radials being oilier than

inlines, they blew a fair amount of smoke and heat.

zw8O0Ob.jpg

RjXTCQ7.jpg

TZzJipz.jpg

Rp4RbXG.png

Spyro's portrayal could be considered somewhat exaggerated, but it 'could' have been the result

of some prior damage in the engine/engine area. :shrug:

...and then there's artistic license :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike! I'm also considering toning down the effect based on your's and Quang's info.

Radials are infamous for being oil leakers. What does hot oil do ? it smokes. Especially at startup.

4aWVfJc.jpg

7 hours ago, quang said:

Interesting enough, what I once thought was the smoke exhaust on the fore part of the inner gear door, was in fact the heat effect resulted while the airplane was taxying.

Hi Q, do you have a source for that ?

On 4/28/2024 at 7:21 AM, quang said:

I learned it on LSP :P … HERE  on page 2.

Quang, thank you for the link!

That's some excellent information.

To be honest, I do like the extended exhaust stains of the restored aircraft but will try to reduce the effect to get somewhere in between that and what should be something closer to the real deal. ^_^

I didn’t know about the exhaust gate neither until some P-47 experts who followed my build pointed it out.

Your own treatment of the fumes is outstanding and like you said, it would be a pity to eradicate it.

Notwithstanding it’s always interesting to know the backstory behind the peculiar details of the model we’re building.

Keep on the good work!

Hi everyone!

Here with another update.

With the majority of work on the airframe complete I shifted my attention to the undercarriage.

The gear struts were previously detailed with lead wire and flexible vinyl thread while the kit's wheel have been replaced with resin ones from Eduard.

Painting was done with MRP metallics while for the tyres I used LifeColor's vulcanized rubber.

A single chrome placard decal from Anyz models was applied on each strut to complete the look.

All details were highlighted with a black wash.

I also wanted to weather the undercarriage as if the aircraft was operating in dry dusty conditions and for that I used a combination of MRP light brown and Mig Ammo airfield dust pigments. Finally, I used black oil from Abteilung 502 for the various streaks.

HVbQTs.jpg
m1PNKs.jpg
DMWYn9.jpg
8wNhoF.jpg
GEYnUX.jpg
KdTyxr.jpg

I followed the same approach for the smaller wheel bay covers but also tried to depict the exhaust stains using brown ink.

E0z7EY.jpg
9QK1K1.jpg

Thanks for checking!