F4U-1D Corsair - Tamiya

denders

9 hours ago, denders said:

Thanks Woody, I'm aware that it was adhesive tape to seal things up. Remember, I'm viewing this model as someone's current warbird

Oh, okay I misunderstood the term warbird to mean a combat aircraft. Carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back at it. We were traveling (10 days, ~2200 miles). It's good to be home.

Masking added, insignia blue next, then paint for the walkways to mask off.

Leaipf.jpg

I've decided that since this is a modern day warbird representation, I'm not adding the 'tape'.

Hey Dave, that smooth paint job is smooooooth. Just wanted to drop a quick reminder that the dash 1D's actually had a non-specular sea blue antiglare panel. Here's the original drawing from Vought.

tMmWKQr.jpg

Here's what it looked like on an operational wartime bird.

BAkkKVx.jpg

This isn't the crispest photo but you can just make out the 'line' between the gloss and matte sea blues on this plane.

rq5xXuP.jpg

Here's what it looked like factory-fresh, pardon the tiny image.

itLy86L.jpg

Here's a factory-fresh -1D in the wind tunnel at NACA, real easy to make out the distinction between specular and non-specular in these due to the overhead lighting.

Q5cqAQB.jpg

gWFXP2x.jpg

R46ibxB.jpg

ZJAE2N1.jpg

And finally, here's what it looks like on a modern-day warbird under the glare of the midday sun.

agtPVpu.jpg

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

-Thomaz

Thanks Thomaz! I hate to say it, but it looks ugly. :shrug: Modern day war birds look shiny and clean. :D I'll probably use clear flat on the model, still a bit to go. I need to remember to not remove the wind screen masking 'til I've added it too.

I must say, I never knew that about that anti-glare section! Surely it's just a matter of applying some flat clear to the existing finish to achieve the effect? Or was the anti-glare section a distinctly different colour (aside from the differences introduced by the contrasting gloss/flat finishes)?

Kev

Hey, fellas

@denders first off, apologies for the thread drift, I don't mean to hijack your WIP! We can start a new thread about the F4U-1D antiglare panel in the Aviation section, if everyone prefers. For the record, I also find the antiglare panel pretty fugly.

@LSP_Kevin yes, I believe a simple coat of matte varnish over the GSB is sufficient to create the effect, it is actually pretty subtle IRL, especially once the plane is operational and the glossy paint starts getting a little beat up and closer in reflectivity to the non-specular sea blue on the antiglare panel.

@MikeMaben no idea on the date of the drawing, sorry dude. Like I said, it was a pretty subtle effect visually speaking, unless it was under harsh lighting. Found some more examples where it's pretty stark, but I found just as many or maybe even more where you can't tell the difference between specular and non-specular sea blues at all. On the photo you posted from the Wasp, I can just make out a very faint 'line' of demarcation between spec and non-spec on the cowling, of course the paint on this bird is pretty abraded, there's even some chipping which was rare since GSB was such a sturdy paint.

Here's some more photos where you can clearly tell the antiglare panel.

pkKoqXl.jpg

3hHqlDh.jpg

You can see a clear line of demarcation between the gloss and matte sea blues below the windscreen here.

99eM55t.jpg

Here's one where you have to be paying attention to see the non-spec sea blue, but if you look closely you'll notice the paint is quite reflective aka glossy all over the plane except on the antiglare panel.

vrra3Qb.jpg

Here's some period color, harsh Pacific island sun, easy to see the antiglare panel here.

O9wBBVa.jpg

On most photos of -1D's under normal lighting conditions i.e. not harsh bright sunlight, you can barely tell the difference as you can see in this period color photo. The only way to really tell is by comparing the specularity (reflectivity) of the paint on the antiglare panel with the rest of the plane. It's one of those 'once you see it you can't un-see it' kind of things, I guess.

R5qg7Gs.jpg

Voilà, now back to your regularly scheduled programming, folks!

- Thomaz

Noted with interest that the break between shiny and not shiny on the nose looks be a soft sprayed line and not a sharp, masked break like we almost always depict.  And in some of the photos above, the glare panel looks like flat sea blue rather than black which coincides nicely with the flat sea blue panel called for on an early blue jet I’m finishing up.  I wonder if this carried over to later model Corsairs as well?

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Noted with interest that the break between shiny and not shiny on the nose looks be a soft sprayed line and not a sharp, masked break like we almost always depict.  And in some of the photos above, the glare panel looks like flat sea blue rather than black which coincides nicely with the flat sea blue panel called for on an early blue jet I’m finishing up.  I wonder if this carried over to later model Corsairs as well?

That's because it is flat (or non-specular in BuAer speak) sea blue, OBG. It's just shaded in black on the original drawing but if you look closely it says "non-specular sea-blue shaded area". If I had to bet on it, I'd say they did keep the antiglare on later Corsairs as well, the last thing you need in an aerial combat situation is being blinded by your own airplane.

AEX7lVI.jpg

No problem, Thomaz. Lots of good photos.

All the masks off, except for the windscreen. Some small touch up areas. MRP isn't conducive to brush painting, I guess I'll have to put some in  a container and allow it to start curing to thicken it up for brush painting. Suggestions welcome.

I'm waiting on a set of 1manarmy stencil masks to arrive. They're somewhere between Hannants and here. Hopefully they get here sooner than later.

cRXWgD.jpg