What is this "Adblocker" on The Modeling News?

Juggernut

Is this new?  Now when I go to the Modeling News website, I get this: 

WJFS2d2.png

I am not using anything called Adblock so how do I disable this?  It's preventing me from accessing the content I'd like to see.  I don't have an icon in my browser.  I use Mozilla firefox but don't know where this AdBlock is supposed to be.  Anyone got an idea on how to fix this?

Edited by Juggernut

Hi,

In the past this was a browser extension but this is now a standard feature you probably activated without noticing it. This is actually easy to solve.

Click on the menu icon on the far right of the bar (the three lines). Then click on 'settings' in the drop-down menu. You will find a search field at the page top. Type "Block pop-up windows" in the box and you should get the relevant setting close to the bottom. Click on the 'Exceptions...' button and add the domain name of that website.

This should be sufficient.

Hth

Thierry

33 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

In the past this was a browser extension but this is now a standard feature you probably activated without noticing it. This is actually easy to solve.

Click on the menu icon on the far right of the bar (the three lines). Then click on 'settings' in the drop-down menu. You will find a search field at the page top. Type "Block pop-up windows" in the box and you should get the relevant setting close to the bottom. Click on the 'Exceptions...' button and add the domain name of that website.

This should be sufficient.

Hth

Thierry

Just did that....Thanks but it did not clear the block.

That warning screen doesn't look legit to me. I use the AdBlock extension, and as far as I know it's not built into Firefox at all - though all browsers have had pop-up blockers for years now. But that's not the same thing.

This is what AdBlock looks like in the Firefox toolbar:

Screenshot2023-04-12at8_15_56am.thumb.png.e2996a65b1af595b58519a1fdf5f9439.png

But whether I turn it on or disable it for The Modelling News, it has no effect, and no warnings are triggered. If you don't have the icon in your toolbar, check "Extensions and themes" on your "Settings" page.

Kev

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m running an adblocker with iOS Safari on my iPad, and have had to disable my it to access TMN.  It started a couple of years ago, so I believe it’s legitimate that TMN provides warnings about not using adblockers on their site.

These kinds of warnings are indeed legit, but the one in Tim's screenshot looks suspicious to me, and not like others I have seen.

Kev

It must have something to do with my Norton software.  When I used Edge, I got the same exact pop up.  I don't have Google Chrome and haven't tried that.  I also tried it with my Iphone 11 and got the same popup...I also use Norton on that device as well.

Hmmm...If I turn my Norton VPN on, I don't get the popup.

I also wonder if it may be in the wifi router?  ...I don't know much about these things.

Edited by Juggernut

Having said that above, I am still unable to access the site with my iphone 11 (latest OS 16.4.1) on Safari.  This one's a dome scratcher for me.... No big deal though because I pretty much only access the site from my desktop.

Edited by Juggernut