1/32 De Havilland DH-100 Vampire Mk.6 J-1200

CarstenB

2 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I found this comparison in the internet too. Also Matterhorn Circle has a very good side view in the manual: https://mc-one.ch/Documents/new/dokuments/MC32021_Instructions.htm

7 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

The kit is nice but has some challenges and modifying it is far from easy. So, you are brave and already did a great job! :goodjob:

For the nose, if you have plans or good side and plan pictures, this is quite easy. You need to draw the extension on paper in 1/32. Then add on the current nose a plastic extension that has a cross-shaped section when viewed from the front. Start with a vertical sheet that has the nose side perimeter, than add two horizontal sections on the sides with a perimeter corresponding to the plan view. Fill the four resulting areas with a good epoxy putty such as Magic sculpt. When dry, sand the putty to be flush with the card edges. Scribe panels and add details. Done! This is what I will do for my two-seater Vampire.

Hi Thierry

I know about the challenges and modifyings. And such a challenge, on my 7th build. I only started building models again a little over a year ago. But I have ambitious goals. Thank you for the compliment.

Thank you for the hint. That's how I would have done it if I had had to do it myself. But since I've never done anything like this before, I'm a bit shy about the task. But that's probably exactly how it will turn out.

I'm understanding but with that technique the risk is close to nil as you add the extension on the existing nose. You can also start with a cardboard silhouette and tack it temporarily with blue tack. If the profile looks ok copy it with plastic and add it. Then, use the same process for the side parts.

1 minute ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm understanding but with that technique the risk is close to nil as you add the extension on the existing nose. You can also start with a cardboard silhouette and tack it temporarily with blue tack. If the profile looks ok copy it with plastic and add it. Then, use the same process for the side parts.

The transition to the front gear bay well will be the challenge. I am analyzing all my pictures and it seems that the front gear bay has been modified too. Anyway, I still have my "prototype" build which I might re-use. Thank you a lot for the hint. I will give it a try. :D

I'm really enjoying this and, as a Swiss Venom fan, am very curious to see how you tackle the Pinocchio nose. Every update is a delight to read and see.

On 3/8/2023 at 3:24 AM, CarstenB said:

At first I thought to use the engine from the Revell Sea Venom FAW.22 and remove the maintenance doors on the top of the fuselage so that you can see the engine.

I was inspired to do this by a build report on the internet, but after assembling all the parts from the Revell kit and trying to fit this into the Infinity Model Kit, I let it go. Too much effort. Maybe another time.

While being conscious of "Zacsplaining" (as my friends call it!) the Goblin and Ghost have a considerable size difference so I'm not surprised the Revell parts don't fit!

17 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I'm really enjoying this and, as a Swiss Venom fan, am very curious to see how you tackle the Pinocchio nose. Every update is a delight to read and see.

While being conscious of "Zacsplaining" (as my friends call it!) the Goblin and Ghost have a considerable size difference so I'm not surprised the Revell parts don't fit!

hahaha... I know, but my intention was just to use the uper part of the engine whichs looks quite similar. Here the link to the assembling report from Hubert Ortinger (in German): https://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/10201-de-havilland-vampire-fb6-hobbycraft.html. He did an incredible work in 1/48! 

An update on the Pinocchio Nose: I decided to give Thierry's idea a try. While waiting for the epoxy putty I ordered, I took some pictures from my current and first build to construct the X and Y axis:

52736456209_de94e53532_k.jpg

52736456354_c10d00649d_k.jpg

The ruler is in centimetre, for those who want to reuse my pictrues. ;)

Next, I scanned the top and side view from Matterhorn Circles Vampire decal manual and superimposed the drawings on the images of the model to create the Pinocchio Nose. Here the results (orange is the actual nose, blue the new):

52736632750_30ac9c3b2c_z.jpg

top view

52736218021_9c2df8e6b9.jpg

side view

The organe square is 1x1cm. Next I printed so I can transfer it to a cardboard. Wish me good luck. :)

Might be a bit late, but anyway this could help others!

Here is stuff found around the Internet, that’s about the Swiss Venoms FB1s, but will be essentially the same as your Vampire:

You can see bulkhead 2 is still there, but it has a cutout the width of the seat so it fits further back, and more angled backwards. Part number 25 is the tank behind the seat in the kit, but it is turned sideways and squished to fit in the tiny space left!

UdoZhJf.png

In these two pilot notes photos, you can just make out the bottom edge of the cutout, right in the first photo, left in the second.

fJ7Mvb7.png

AnDsE2Y.png

And what can be seen from the top, in this very useful view for modeling purposes.

Efz8shk.png

Nice project, good luck with the Pinnochio nose!

Alain